1) Options for Audirvana 3.5.users? 2) The subscription model

Instead of calling it WIndows 11, maybe Microsoft could call it WIndows 20. (Samsung made a similar jump with their Galaxy S20 phone.)

Maybe try again? I sent an email yesterday and got a reply and extension today (in the wee hours of the morning).

You’re lucky. I got no mail. Did they give a link to download the remote?

No link – I guess the remote is not out yet.

In this case, the extension of your trial may end without giving you the opportunity to test AS with its remote.

They said this in the email:

“We gave you a trial extension, the Remote should be available during this extension time period.”

These are good news.
I wonder why I got no answer. I believe the others are in the same case, since you are the first to report that they answered your mail.

I doubt they’ll do it, the guys in Redmond lack imagination. They stop copying Apple only when they lose big money.

They copied the iPod with a Zune that nobody wanted, and were forced to discontinue it.
They wanted to copy the iPhone, spent billions in purchase of Nokia, and finished by writing off all these investments.
They wanted to copy the iPad, and it did not work for them.
They wanted to copy the Apple Stores, opened plenty of Microsoft stores, and finished by closing them this year.
Now they try a new concept that they call Surface, which is a copy of the MacBook Air and the iPad in the same time, and nobody buys it.

Please don’t start a rant here about Microsoft versus Apple, that is completely off topic and there are other forums for that. MacRumors for instance.

1 Like

Sorry, Andy. It’s just that we are a bit bored, waiting for the remote.

4 Likes

I was not angry, only a bit dissapointed :grinning: :rofl:

1 Like

When I started the trial, I thought it will take me 2-3 days to evaluate the application. I didn’t imagine that this saga will last so long, and that after a month I’ll be still waiting for an extension…

3 Likes

Beta testing is time consuming affair and fraught with issues and delays :joy:

4 Likes

I was going to say that too now that Apple Music is going lossless and with the talk of Spotify, Amazon as well. Roon is in trouble and Audirvana as well. Apple Music has endless amounts of music / money software that works. I would hate to switch to Apple Music but will because I’m not a subscription guy and nobody can compete with their catalog of music. Qobuz catalog can’t come close to Apple Music and Tidal should be extremely worried I’ve already dropped them tired of being indoctrinated losing music Herb Albert Neil Young gone from Tidal recently as well and tons of others. Tidal not using real master tapes for MQA which never really did it for me. Small companies better get it right because her come the big boys. If Audirvana and Roon are not worried they should be. So for me it’s sit back watch and wait time. I don’t see anybody competing with Apple Music or Spotify pockets are so Deep so much MUSIC available. Good luck guys your going to need it. Not looking good for the little companies that don’t have perfect working software I love Audirvana but this decision of a subscription model and with software not ready for prime time is a huge problem and bad timing with said events on the horizon. I wish Audirvana and Qobuz well but tough road ahead guys. It’s been a good ride.

As long as the likes of Audirvana and Roon are still able to comprise several different services PLUS local libraries (i.e. Tidal, Qobuz, HRA Streaming, etc.(, they should be able to survive.

But I do agree that, if/when Apple’s lossless offering is REALLY confirmed as an audiophile-friendly option (meaning TRUE lossless content), a LOT of people using Apple devices would just migrate and benefit from the company’s well-oiled integrated approach, all of it at a very attractive price.

And no: I do not think that Apple will ever allow its content to be deeply integrated into third parties’ software - this is simply not their ethos.

I agree to a point. I’m using Audirvana 3.5 with unsolved problems still that I live with because it’s sounds fabulous. Better than Roon imho. But if Apple and Spotify go Hi- Resolution and improve their sound how can the likes of Qobuz and Audirvana compete. They can’t and as far as local libraries that’s still in the cards unless I don’t understand your reply. That’s like Chevrolet trying to compete with Tesla in the electric car industry they can’t. I can still use my local library using I tunes sound great in WAV. I’m just saying if they go full bore the little guys have no chance whatsoever. ISNT that really obvious what if Apple decides to build software like Roon or Audirvana heck they could be like China and backwards engineer it. Money talks in this situation they have the engineers just think what they could come up with. It’s a wait and see now. Please educate me more from your last comment I really want to understand how the little guys stand a chance with the problems that exist with Audirvana and Qobuz small title count.
Sincerely,
Kblade

You have not misunderstood; my point is that, if Apple is able to convince users that its content is in TRUE lossless quality (still debatable), the value proposition for using A+ and Roon, at least for Apple users, will crumble to the ground.

But again, we are talking about a relatively niche market where people REALLY look for “high-res” sources and do not usually believe that Apple will reach that level. But again, if they do, even people like me (a longtime Apple user but never an Apple Music subscriber) could be ready to jump ship.

In the specific case of Roon I am a lifetime subscriber, so that jump may take a while - but for anyone else invested in Apple devices AND having time-limited subscriptions, the migration could be much quicker, thus damaging the little guys more than they could ever think.

Particularly since Apple’s streaming library may already be among the largest - so unless you are a rabid classical music fan, there would be little reason to stick to any other service (except perhaps Spotify when they also turn lossless).

1 Like

Well said thanks for the reply. By the way Roon is fantastic it works. Plus the I love how you can get recommendations when listening to a specific artist. Also the artist your listening to how you can search the people in the recording finding new music is endless. My buddy has Roon it really is well done and Works. And if you put Roon and Audirvana side by side I probably could not tell the difference consistently with my 56 year old ears😊. I sure wish things would have stayed the same with Audirvana. I would have paid more for a lifetime ownership of new software. I’ve been with them for well over a decade now it’s sad to see how things have changed. But I guess Audirvana felt it was necessary I wish them all the best. Like I said it’s been a good ride.

Which is quite amusing… because I came to Audivana precisely becuse it is NOT apple.
It was a simple, though well featured, high quality standalone music player that left me to organise my files how I wish, and Audirvana was then told where my music was. Aside from the odd glitch I have been extremely happy with Audirvana… Until now, AS is exactly what I don’t want or require from a music player ( aside from excellent sound quality )

1 Like

I hope I never have to suffer another music player from Apple.

1 Like