1) Options for Audirvana 3.5.users? 2) The subscription model

Professionals that change camera or hardware often have advantage in using a subscription model in order to have their hardware continuously supported, whereas hobbyists that keep the same system for 3-6 years (and don’t use the software daily) are best served with a perpetual license that will probably not support the new camera, but by then they just upgrade to the new version.
Adobe Lightroom used to dominate the raw converter/photo editing software market. When they embraced a subscription only model many people started looking for other options and many moved towards other software like Capture One that have both subscription and perpetual licenses. Alternatives to Lightroom, commercial and freeware, existed for a long time, some were focused in specific applications, but they didn’t have a potential sales volume that would justify to invest more in development, now they have and several are becoming better than Lightroom.
When it’s time to replace my computer and change to a new operating system that is no longer supported, or buy a new DAC maybe with a new communication protocol, will I upgrade from version 3.5 to Studio? Maybe not, I hope by then there are alternatives without a subscription model.

4 Likes

This is what 90% of software companies do already - major x.0 versions are almost always demanding a new payment; only 1.x and 1.1.x updates are included.

1 Like

I’m not interested at all in Studio. Where i can find the download link to latest windows 3.5 version?

John, I am with you paid for the lifetime use because “I hate” subscription based software, usually service and support sucks and I already have most of my music. I own it, I bought it, I don’t want to pay to have access to stuff I already own. Hell at this point I will go back to using CDs, as I still have a ton of them and many CD players too choose from. They should grand father in people who paid for life time subscriptions and give a huge discount to members already using their yearly service. I am sure many members on here were drawn not having to pay for subscription based BS, I get the better UI, but there is Tidal and Quboz and not Apple Music/TV giving subscriptions away with there devices. Baffled as well.

2 Likes

From the Aurdirvana main page, click on the menu items (top left hand corner) and select Assistance
Scroll down to Legacy Versions

1 Like

This is rather disappointing news. I’ve bought 3 licenses over the course of several years, the 3.5 update most recently. I will NEVER buy a subscription model software package, ever.

I’m guessing there will never be a one-time fee for the player anymore. Time to start looking for alternatives I guess.

1 Like

I’ve been a long time customer and have enjoyed Audirvana but I will not pay for a subscription.

Software subscriptions are a scourge. I loved Lightroom and Photoshop but have managed to get along just fine without them after they went to a subscription model.

I still use Audirvana for portable use but have already switched to a lifetime Roon license for home. I’ll manage just fine without Audirvana going forward.

So long and thanks for all the fish…

3 Likes

Agreed this is a silly move for the company that just annoys long time users. It’s time perhaps to look at the other options available.

Looks like I’ll be going back to musicbee or quod libet. What a joke. Their “pricing” page is giving a 404 right now, there’s no mention of whether 3.5 will continue to be supported, etc. How half assed is this roll out? If an OS update comes out next month that breaks the software, are they just done supporting it? How do their FAQs not even mention this? What a bunch of clowns. I’m not interested in another subscription and when you buy a $100 license to a music library software you expect it to be maintained and not abandoned. It’s their business, they can do what they want with it, but as customers we can also be pissed about their decisions.

I purchased Audirvana 3.5 just 2 months ago to try it out with my DAC.
Among other devices I own several pieces of Bluesound equipment. After the initial hardware purchase, no subscription, free updates, product support and added features every year.
Goodbye Audirvana.
Software as service subscription models benefit of the seller.

Maybe people in USA or other countries have grown up with leasing everything but I’d rather own something. I hate the subscription model in software, I try to avoid it as much as I can, that’s why I bought and upgraded Audirvana in the first place. I felt I did my part supporting the developer and I gladly did it because he was a Mac developer, and the platform has lacked solutions that other platforms typically enjoy. I am not going to go with Audirvana Studio, this is the end of the story for me.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m with you I also not a fan of subscriptions.
I’m pretty sure that if a future operating system breaks 3.5 Damien will fix it.
But it make take a while or be lesser of a priority compared to studio.
As far as known issue fixes for 3.5 I’m not holding my breath anymore.
I think he’s the only developer that works on both Mac and windows platform. And someone else helps on iOS.

100% agreed.

Subscriptions are nonsense, especially for a player and not a provider.

I pay less a month for Disney Plus, which provides me with new content constantly, whereas I’m offered bug fixes with an Audirvana subscription. That’s not a bargain. That’s not an advantage.

No way.

I’ll keep using 3.5 until I can find a replacement. I won’t subscribe to a music player.

Monthly subscriptions are the worst idea to come from the modern internet.

Audirvana just lost a customer who bought a license to the previous version, and 2 licenses for 3.5.

Not another penny if it means subscribing.

2 Likes

Nope. No subscriptins.

No way, no how.

Not for an application that doesn’t provide its own content, but the ability to play my own.

Subscription means I’m looking for an alternative.

3 Likes

Different people with different preferences, habits, some rational some irrational. Such is life.
What makes sense to me often is unimportant to others.
Just enjoy what you think works for you.

1 Like

OK for $1 a year if the bugs are fixed.

2 Likes

Sign me up too :grin:
———

1 Like

Except the subscription isn’t $1, and 3.5 wasn’t $10k.

Nice try though.

Subscriptions are the worst facet of the modern internet. I just want to buy once. Not keep track of X number of subscriptions monthly/yearly, ESPECIALLY for apps that don’t provide content.

Going subscription-only lost them a customer of several years, and clearly I’m not the only one.

For those who may be seeking an alternative, Colibri, while not a fully featured, plays beautifully, without the bloat.

Rather than syncing folders (which has clearly been an issue with AS thus far), you open files/folders from a Finder dialog (on Mac). Works great.

1 Like

Colibri works great for stuff you already own.

1-time price, free upgrades as long as he’s developing it.