"Artists" View Dysfunctional

Hi, anybody got any ideas on this one?

I’m running latest version of Audirvana on Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan with 4GB RAM and an Intel 4 x core processor. All music files in my library are either m4a or flac. Sys opt Audirvana priority set to very high. I am not synchronising with iTunes.

“Albums” and “Tracks” view works fine, but “Artists” is hopeless - screen will not scroll, cannot select any items, cannot change between Album Artists etc. Window contents shimmer and freeze. Program itself doesn’t freeze and I can change back to “Album” or 'Tracks" view and they work fine.

No other problems running Audirvana, which BTW I’m very happy with.

BTW all music files are on the system internal SSD (had the same problem with old internal HDD

I’m really fishing here, but at least try all the three database maintenance tasks (check, reindex, defragment) if you haven’t already; Won’t take long on an SSD.
If that does nothing, also try a lower priority and/or turn the whole sysoptimizer off - that kind of tweaking might well backfire.

Hi Jannek

Thanks for your suggestions - tried all and no joy I’m afraid. It’s strange that all other aspects of the program work just fine, just artists view that is completely hopeless. I’m hoping one of the Audirvana team will pick up on my post and come up with a solution. Thanks again.

Hello @simon996, have you experienced this issue with other app for example with iTunes?

Hi Damien

No, this is the only app that I have this problem with. iTunes runs with no problems.

Simon

Hi again Damien

Do you have any ideas on what’s going on with my artists view and hopefully any solutions.

Simon

Do you know if the file you ahve are DRM protected? There are tracks that can’t be played outside of iTunes (they are thus skipped in Audirvana):

• the DRM protected tracks (usually files ending with .m4p), due to the copy protection mechanism, like the ones coming from Apple Music

• the iCloud/iTunes Match tracks, using an iTunes specific protocol for retrieving the audio data. To get them to play in Audirvana, you need to download all the songs you want to play thru Audirvana into your computer library by clicking the cloud icon present showing the album is in the cloud, not the library.

• the tracks in a Home Sharing library, for same reason (using an Apple non public sharing protocol). If you are using this, there is a workaround that consists in sharing the audio files on the server (to be able to access them from the Finder on the client Mac), and then import the track files in iTunes, or just add the shared folder to the synchronized list in the Library page of Audirvana preferences. This way, standard file sharing protocol is used, and Audirvana is able to access the audio files.

Hi Damien

None of my audio files are DRM protected. I don’t use the iTunes sync, I converted any DRM protected files in iTunes to .m4a and copied all to a separate folder. The rest of the music files are flac - either ripped from CDs or downloads.

Album view works just fine and no problems viewing or playing any tracks. It’s just that artists view simply doesn’t work. I tried to do a screen grab to show you, but doing that sends the whole screen into a mess. Seems to be a graphic problem rather than audio.

S

BTW, my graphics card is Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB on a 21.5" iMac running Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Can you check the database integrity using the command in the Maintenance section of the preferences page?

If it fails, then you may want to restore from a backup, or delete the file AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite to restart from scratch.
It is located in ~/Library/Application Support/Audirvana
To access ~/Library with the Finder, you can use its Go menu while pressing the option (or alt) key. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu.

Special Warning : When you delete the file AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite, you will lose all the Playlists you created in Audirvana. However, you can back-up all those Playlists by exporting them before deleting the database file.

Hi Damien

Yep, tried all that - no effect.
Have now completely uninstalled Audirvana and re-installed including latest update, but same problem persists.

S

I can only think of one thing after all this… What if there’s some Really weird metadata on some album or track?

Thanks for the suggestion. My music files are stored in several different folders and if I remove all but one folder from sync with Audirvana there is some improvement in “Artists View”, but it still doesn’t work quite right. I have edited quite a lot of meta data using PerfectTunes.

I’ll play around with which music files I sync with Audirvana and see what happens.

Thanks again

Simon

Is there any progress regarding this issue?

I’m also running latest version of Audirvana on Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan and I have the identical problem like „simon996“

I have re-installed Audirvana completely on my Macbook two times but without success

My music files are stored on a Synology NAS. I bought a Audirvana Cross-License two weeks ago and with the Windows 10 Version I didn’t get this problem and I access the same Music Folder on my NAS. Currently I have no further idea to get a solution for this circumstance, maybe someone from the Audirvana Support Team can help.
Thanks…

HI

No progress, I’m afraid. I’ve tried everything, but “artists view” remains unworkable.

Luckily, I’m reasonably happy browsing through album view - it’s a bit like thumbing through my old vinyls and since Audirvana support seem to have given up on solving this issue, I’ve accepted the problem and I’m keeping my eye out for an alternative to Audirvana in the meantime.

Hope you have more success than I’ve had resolving this problem.

BTW, it is reassuring to know that someone else has the same problem and That it’s not just me. Given that we’re both on El Capitan, looks as though compatibility with El Capitan may be the issue and I doubt they’ll come up with a fix for that, given that it’s a few Mac OS’s out of date

Yes it is sad that the artist view on the Mac does not work properly with the El Capitan version. To my knowledge Audirvana was developed specifically for the Mac, but now Windows seems to be more stable and in the focus of the company, maybe there is a strategy change in terms of supported operating systems in the future?

I’m looking forward that the support Team have a workaround and will deploy a fix on a short term. It is possible to contact the support Team directly?

Sorry, I don’t know how to contact support directly. They seem to monitor this forum, as you’ll see from Damien3 offering suggestions on this thread. I suppose you could try replying to Damien3 on this thread.

Hello Damien I have the same problem like simon996. I’m also running latest version of Audirvana on Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan.

I tested extensively again today. Therefore I reinstall Audirvana completely again.

For the test, I only provided a handful of albums on the local SSD of my Macbook Pro. I checked the meta tags for all albums before

The result was that everything worked perfectly up to a maximum of 10 different artists, from a number of 11 different artists, the round artist icon changed and the album cover was displayed like in album view and scroll down and clicking was not possible at this moment.

If the problem occurs, it is not possible to take a screenshot, the entire Audirvana window is shown in black. Then it is no longer possible to select other views, for example the album view, the entire screen output from the Mac is completely incorrect and you have to restart Audirvana to solve this status. I have also performed all 3 steps regarding the database maintenance but without any success.

I guess that the graphical output for the artist view caused the problem. Please be so kind and take a look again regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Matthias