AS does not know to sort metadata

Not only MusicBrainz ID tag changes the names of my artists, AS is unable to sort them neither in the alphabetic order of the names that MusicBrainz attributes nor to the one that I input in the “Album Artist” tag.

FWIW this is not new, just checked A 3.5.46 and it performs the same mystery sorting

So these are old bugs on a new product. :sunglasses:

But with AS, it is more confusing, because the MusicBrainz tag is also changing the names of the artists…

EDIT
For me, after almost two months of trial, the library management of AS is unusable at this stage. :confused:

I can sort Artists:

Note the sort criteria on the left of the screen.

I believe Studio should sort by the ARTISTSORT tag; if this tag is blank, then it should sort artists by the ARTIST tag (i.e. by the first word in the tag).

Also note the filter used:

In your own screenshots the artists are sorted by Last Name when applicable.

I use the same filter, “Album Artists”. I said and loaded a screenshot of the setting in the first post of this thread.
And this is how the sorting is tagged for the first artist that Audirvana displays:

This is for the second artist in Audirvana’s display:

This is for the third artist in Audirvana’s display:

If MusicBrainz has its share for the mess in the library of @VoyagerDude and nine, maybe its database is less accurate for classical music and jazz, than for rock and pop,

It’s just my 2 cents.

Hello @Doudou ,

Can you click on your Artist Kempf,Wilhelm and then open the metadata editor? Please send us a screenshot of what you see in it.

Here it is. Both the “Artist” tag and the “Artist sorting” tag start with “Kempff”.

It’s the same thing for the other artists that are not sorted correctly.

Can you send us your database file at support@audirvana.com? If the file is more than 20MB, we will send us a link to upload it.

To go to it with the Finder:

1. Open its Go menu
  2. Pressing the option (or alt) key, and maintain it pressed. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu.
  3. Click on this Library command
  4. In the Finder window that opens, navigate into Application Support, then Audirvana
  5. You’ll find there the file AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite

I want to be sure that I’m sending you the correct database, because I run on my Mac two other versions of Audirvana, in addition to AS. I have Audirvana Plus for which I have a license, and A3.5 for which a friend lent me his activation key, so I can compare it to AS during the trial.

This is the screenshot of all the Audirvana databases, which should I send?

AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite as stated in my post

Its size is 19.3 MB. I’ll try to send it by mail.

EDIT
The mail was sent, and it passed. My message on the mail is in French.

1 Like

Looking at your database, all of the artist/performers below have a space at the beginning of the Artist name, this is why you see them first:

2Cellos
Ambrosian Singers
Cargill, Karen
Consensus Vocalis
DSF
Farberman, Harold/The All Star Percussion Ensemble
Finley, Gerald
Gergiev, Valery/Mariinsky Orchestra
Hauser, Stjepan
Hugh, Tim
Kempff, Wilhelm
Kremer, Annemarie
Mac Master, John
Mackerras, Sir Charles/Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Mackerras/Scottish CO
Nikolitch, Gordan
Robinson, Twyla
Rousset, Chritopher/Les Talents Lyriques
Rousset/Les Talents Lyriques
Smits, Geert
Thomas, Michael Tilson/Columbia Jazz Band
Vogt, Lars
Wilke te Brummelstroete, Reijans, Marcel
Winther, Karin/Taby Church Chamber Choir

They don’t have a space in the tags of my files. AS truncated their names and created a space.

So why all of your artist do not have a space at the beginning?

Here is the Yate display of the tags for the first artist that AS displays as “Kempff, Wilhelm”.

As you can see, the artist is tagged in my files as “Menuhin, Yehudi; Kempff, Wilhelm”.
AS renamed the artist by removing “Menuhin, Yehudi”, and leaving only “Kempff, Wilhelm” with a space in the beginning of his name.

Do you have other albums with Kempff, Wilhelm in it?

No, I don’t have other albums of this artist. This is the only one.

What’s also strange, is that in “Albums view”, the albums of the artists whose name starts with “D” are displayed first, though AS did not add a space to their name. You can check it with my database.

Let’s sort the artist issue first, we will see for the Album view right after.

Can you make a screenshot of the metadata of a track in Beethoven: Late Choral & Gershwin [SACD]?