AS does not know to sort metadata

So why all of your artist do not have a space at the beginning?

Here is the Yate display of the tags for the first artist that AS displays as “Kempff, Wilhelm”.

As you can see, the artist is tagged in my files as “Menuhin, Yehudi; Kempff, Wilhelm”.
AS renamed the artist by removing “Menuhin, Yehudi”, and leaving only “Kempff, Wilhelm” with a space in the beginning of his name.

Do you have other albums with Kempff, Wilhelm in it?

No, I don’t have other albums of this artist. This is the only one.

What’s also strange, is that in “Albums view”, the albums of the artists whose name starts with “D” are displayed first, though AS did not add a space to their name. You can check it with my database.

Let’s sort the artist issue first, we will see for the Album view right after.

Can you make a screenshot of the metadata of a track in Beethoven: Late Choral & Gershwin [SACD]?

Here is the screenshot.

The “Album Artist” tag of this album is “Thomas/LSO & Cleveland”.
The album has two “Artists”: “Thomas, Michael Tilson/LSO; Ambrosian Singers” and “Thomas, Michael Tilson/NYP”.

For this album, A3.5 displays more correctly the metadata of the artist tag.

It didn’t remove “Menuhin, Yehudi”, but reverted the order of the artists. It displays “Kempff, Wilhelm, Menuhin, Yehudi” instead of “Menuhin, Yehudi; Kempff, Wilhelm”.
This change is less annoying, but it is not correct, because this is an album of sonatas for violin and piano. The convention is to credit the name of the violinist first, and the pianist second.

On the other hand, when I open the album in AS, the name of “Menuhin” reappears, but it is reverted and comes second, like in A3.5.

I just noticed that the album of Menuhin and Kempff appears twice in “Artist View”. Once under the name “Kempff” as the first displayed artist. And a second time under the name “Menuhin”.

This is because they are considered as two separate Artist but it shouldn’t if you are only using one ; as a separation between artists in Yate.

I use only one “;” to separate multiple artists when I tag my albums, for many years now, and it was never an issue with other players, including the previous Audirvana players.

Can you send us one of the files of the album Bvn: VS #5 ‘Spring’ by mail? We would like to check something on our end.

I’m sending you by mail the smallest file. Its size is of 7 MB.

EDIT
I sent the track.

For simple cases (as my Jazz library), AS filters album artist correctly. AS probably gets confused when multiple entries as Artist appear.

I know that proper tagging of classical music is difficult, Roon forum members complain for years about Roon’s inability to handle tags for classical music. Maybe Yate’s user forum has some good suggestions?

https://2manyrobots.com/forum/

I use my classical music albums, on my Mac and PC, with some 6-7 different players, including Audirvana Plus and A3.5, without any issue.

In addition, I tried Roon, and it had no problems with the tags of my classical music.

And look what happens in the library of @VoyagerDude where there are no classical albums at all.

This is because the ARTISTSORT file tag is populated, where applicable. For example, the ARTISTSORT tag for the artist LaVern Baker is “Baker, LaVern”. On the other hand, there is no ARTISTSORT tag for the artist Alice Cooper (since this is the name of the band and should be filed under “a”.

Are you only using Yate to tag you tracks? When I try to replicate your track metadata on my end it doesn’t behave the same way as you.

I use Yate most of the time, but I used Tags and Meta in the past. I ripped this CD years ago, and I don’t remember with what it was tagged.

I can assure you that its tags are correctly displayed with TuneBrowser and Neutron on my Dell. And with JRiver, HQPlayer, Brio, Audirvana Plus and Swinsian on my Mac.
Only A3.5 revert the order of the names of the two artists, and only AS does not display both of them in “Artist view”.

Same here, using my library for Roon, HQPlayer, AS and Euphony and I just don’t have any issues.

The only problem I once had was when I switched from my my MacBook Pro running a relatively old OS to my current Mac mini with Big Sur. I let Roon identify all my albums and re-imported it into the other players and all was picture perfect.

Tagging is a nuisance!

Actually, when I think about it, most of my albums were not tagged by me.
When my son was a teenager, I was paying him and his friends from school to rip my CDs, vinyls, and SACDs, to tag them, and to scan their covers. And they were doing this work during the periods of vacations from school. I was just checking in the beginning that they understood what they should do , and that they were doing it correctly.

Instead of wasting their time on playing with the PlayStation, this useful work improved the computing skills of the boys.

3 Likes