AS volume control, almost blew my speakers / amp

This freaking piece of shit software!

Launched AS 1.4.5.
Selected a local album in 24/96, selected my UPNP player.
Started playback.
Touched the plus button where volume control is. Software volume is disabled,
It immediately cranked my networked streamer volume to 100% almost making me deaf and waking the neighbourhood.
Had to run to the amp to shut it off at the power.

WTF @Antoine ! Who’s going to pay for my damaged equipment?

2 Likes

I’m sorry for your speakers and your amp. I hope they were not damaged.

This is a very dangerous bug!
Just this morning, there was a guy who reported exactly the same thing, and he was using a previous version of AS. The same thing also happened to another user in the begging of the trial period with V1.0.

1 Like

The “+” is a dangerous button. :wink: On my system at least it reduces the volume to minimum.

1 Like

Yup, that pesky “+” seems multi-functional dysfunctional.

1 Like

Let me get this straight. The software volume control is disabled, but it increased the volume on your UPnP renderer to the maximum when you clicked on the “+” button?

That is correct.
I have always kept the software volume disabled. In both A3.5 and AS1.*.

When using a USB DAC the volume control then does nothing, which is ok by me. I use the knob on the USB DAC / Headphone amp.

When using a network DLNA DAC, the volume control slider in A3.5 controls the volume.
I think the slider in AS also controls the volume, but I will not be touching that with a 10ft pole to verify. My assumption was the -/+ buttons in AS would adjust volume by some steps.

Normally it does. It’s either a bug in Audirvana or a bug in how Audirvana interacts with the device. I mostly use the Audirvana with the software volume off, but some DAC dongles rely on the software to control the volume. Luckily on one of my DACs it just reduces the volume to minimum regardless of which button I click, “+” or “-”. Clicking on the volume slider works as expected.

Sorry, I couldn’t stop laughing after reading this :smiley:

1 Like

Can you speak up please. Can’t hear too good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Was just imagining the scene - tragicomic! :smiley:

Yes I can appreciate the humour of it.
But when this damages our equipment it pissed me off.

1 Like

But did it in the end?

The jury is still out. To use your professional language :grin:

I hope they will be ok.
But it is unacceptable for the player to do this.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.