Audirvana crashes playing MQA after uptade to 3.5.13 version

Hello.Today I purchased the license, installed version 13.5.13 (my OS is Windows 10). It often happens that playing a song the following message appears: “Audirvana has exited unexpectebly: a miniDump file has been generated. Do you want to show it in explorer?”. After that message Audirvana doesn’t work anymore and it crashes.
I noticed that this issue happens more often playing MQA files (I use Tidal and Dragonfly Red).
Please help me to solve this issue (it had never happened during trial period, before the update to version 13.5.13). Thanks in advance.

I make an update after some tests. The issue is with the mqa files. If I do not close the message that appears (by clicking yes or no), Audirvana continues to play the song but cannot decode the mqa file properly. For example, if the mqa file has a resolution of 24/192 kHz (indicated at bottom left), Audirvana says that the resolution that reaches the DAC (indicated at bottom right) is 24/96 kHz. So the mqa files are never decoded to the highest quality available. I specify that using the Tidal app the Dragonfly Red becomes magenta color playing the mqa files, so I don’t think the issue is with the DAC. I hope Damien can help me to solve this issue which does not make me fully enjoy the potential of Audirvana. Thanks in advance.

Can you paste the debug info here?

I have done other tests. If I disable the “auto detect mqa devices” and i set manually the DAC (Dragonfly Red) as “mqa renderer” the error message does not appear anymore, but i note that the decoding of the mqa file is not perfect compared to the original resolution (for example, a mqa file with an original resolution of 24/352 kHz is decoded to a resolution of 24/88,2 kHz). Perhaps, in past updates, similar problems had occurred (I checked in the forum). I’m waiting for an answer from Demien for solving this issue. Thanks in advance.

Hello @Bob10, can you try to reproduce the dump error message and send us this file at support@audirvana.com?

Hi Demien, if i click on the error message, on yes or on no, Explorer does not show me the content of the message. Is there any way to recover this miniDump file?
Anyway i noticed that if i disable the “auto detect mqa devices” and i set manually the DAC (Dragonfly Red) as “mqa renderer”, the error message does not appear anymore but the mqa decoding seems to be not at its full potential.

Hello @Bob10,

There is currently an issue with the autodetection of MQA device with Windows 10 version of Audirvana. Can you deactivate it and set your DAC manually to Renderer?

Hello Damien, i set my DAC manually to renderer. In this case the error message does not appear anymore. Anyway, i noticed something strange. Before updating to version 13.5.13 if I played, for example, a mqa file with a resolution of 24 / 352.8 KHz, the same resolution appeared in the lower right corner. Now, however, after the update, in the lower right corner, playing the same file, a resolution of 24 / 88.2 kHz appears. What has changed? Moreover, even if I have disabled the upsampling function, when I play a flac file (using Tidal or Qobuz) with the resolution of 16 / 44.1 kHz, in the lower right corner a resolution of 24 / 44.1 kHz is indicated. Is there an explanation? Will your staff prepare an update to resolve the problems that we users are reporting? Thanks in advance.

Here is the debug info with “auto detect mqa devices” activated and while playing a mqa file (in this case the error message appeared):

Audirvana 3.5.13

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
SoX not in use
SoX filter parameters
Bandwidth at 0dB = 99.5
Filter max length = 30000
Anti-aliasing = 100
Phase = 66

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES
Qobuz: Connected as Qobuz Hi-Fi
TIDAL: Connected as HIFI

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Max. memory for audio buffers: 1900MB

Local Audio Engine:WASAPI

Preferred device:
Altoparlanti (AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0)
Model UID:Altoparlanti (AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0)
UID:\?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{3e3438b6-d766-47a0-a5b2-d72640ba8f8a}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}

Currently playing in Integer Mode:
Device: 2ch 24bits Integer, 6 bytes per frame 96kHz

Active Sample Rate: 96kHz

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:
Local audio device
Altoparlanti (AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0) Manufacturer:
Model UID:Altoparlanti (AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.0) UID:\?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{3e3438b6-d766-47a0-a5b2-d72640ba8f8a}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}

4 available sample rates up to 96000Hz
Volume Control
Physical: Yes
Virtual: No
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
MQA Renderer device
DSD capability: Unhandled
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:0 R:1
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: No

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 96kHz

Do you have MQA autodetection enabled when you have this displayed?

That happens with MQA autodetection enabled or disabled. Both situations. If there is the MQA autodetection enabled it appears also the error message and the sound is not perfect.

When you disable it, have you set it manually to MQA Renderer?

Hi Damien. Yes i have set it manually to MQA renderer. Will you do an update to Audirvana to solve these Issues?

So even if you put MQA renderer in the setting you have the error? We will make an update regarding MQA auto detection in Audirvana for Windows 10 next week.

If i put manually MQA renderer in the setting i don’t have the error message, but the decoding seems to be not perfect because the resolution indicated in the lower right corner is often lower than the original resolution indicated in the lower left corner. Before the last uptade the resolution indicated was perfectly equal (between lower left corner and lower right corner). I hope that you can fix these issues with the next update.

Hi Damien, with the update to the version 3.5.37 the issue with the decoding of the MQA files has been solved. No error message appears anymore and the auto-detect MQA device is ok. Thank you very much.