Audirvana software loses connection with Onkyo NR TX656

Downloaded the trial version of the Audirvana software and got it up and running, and after a while the software recognized my Onkyo network receiver and showed the DAC. Played it for awhile. Tidal and MQA and all working nicely. Syncronized my iTunes library, no worries. Then I l closed out and did other things. Came back, started the Audirvana APP and the Onkyo DAC has disappeared. So I do a reboot of the Onkyo app and the DAC reappears. I have now done this multiple times. In fact, I cannot utilize the Onkyo network service without rebooting the Onkyo, every time. The other DACS in the house that I have continue to show, one is a Samsung network TV, the other is a Yamaha streamer I use for outdoors. They show up all the time and do not lose the connection. But this is for the Onkyo, and it loses the connection every time. I need to reboot every time. Any ideas?

Hello @Backenst, I think you have a problem with the network card of your Onkyo, have you tried to switch between USB and UPnP connectivity of the Onkyo in Audirvana audio output.

Thank you for responding. And please excuse my ignorance but are you suggesting plug my computer into the usb input of the Onkyo? Or is there another setting in Audirvana to try?

By default your Mac search for new device in your local network constantly. Audirvana use the same thing to find your Onkyo UPnP connectivity. If your Mac can’t see your Onkyo then yes, we would like you to plug your computer to the usb input of your Onkyo and reboot it to see if your Onkyo is available in UPnP.

Thank you and I will give it a try. I am also going to upgrade to Catalina (?) the latest version of Mac software.

UPDATE: I have done the following.

1. Tried USB. When I go to the NET setting on the ONKYO, it does not see Audirvana music server or files, simply says non USB files connected or thereabouts. So that did not work.

2. Reset the entire Onkyo unit. Spent an hour or so resetting all the settings. Went to music server and saw “No Server Found.”

Still if I reboot the Onkyo, I can see the DAC through Audirvana and stream the first unfold of TIDAL to the Onkyo. So it does appear that this is an Onkyo issue. 2017 unit and I am no longer under warranty but Crutchfield, who I bought the unit through,. is contacting Onkyo trying to find a download or a solution.

I really want this to work. I will buy the software and the mobile app if I can get this working without having to reset settings every night!

When you connect the receiver via USB, you need to play files from Audirvana. Use USB input, not NET.

That is exactly what I did. The USB setting is under the Onkyo NET interface. So you have items like Tidal, Pandora, Deezer, Music Server, and USB. Neither USB or Music Server connects to your software although I can connect to Tidal and Pandora without the first unravel of Tidal and the audio improvements. It is all really good but not Audirvana. I am close to giving up on this. But want to see if Onkyo comes back with a solution.

The same problem here, but instead of Onkyo I’m using Pioneer VSX-934. Audirvana can’t see the receiver, while yesterday, using it for the first time, he could…

Hello @willex, how are you connected to your Pioneer?

Pioneer is connected with Wifi. My PC is using an ethernet cable. I can choose Pioneer on Apple Music and Spotify, but Tidal and Audirvana can’t see Audirvana anymore… Only when I do a reset of my Pioneer… Probably it’s an Onkyo/Pioneer problem, I see more comments on the forum about this?

I really like your software and just bought the Pioneer, so I can send still send it back. If you have an affordable alternative that connects with Tidal and Audirvana (with Phono connection), then it’s okay for me too.

Before sending your Pioneer back, can you send me a copy of the “Debug Info”? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>General>Debug Info

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info button, Audirvana automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message

Audirvana 3.5.12

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
SoX not in use
SoX filter parameters
Bandwidth at 0dB = 99.5
Filter max length = 30000
Anti-aliasing = 100
Phase = 66

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 0 folders
Library database path: C:\Users\wille\AppData\Local\Audirvana\AudirvanaPlus\AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES
TIDAL: Connected as HIFI

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Max. memory for audio buffers: 12796MB

Local Audio Engine:WASAPI

Preferred device:

Model UID:
UID:

Active Sample Rate: 48kHz

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:
Local audio device
SPDIF Out (STRIX SOUND CARD) Manufacturer:
Model UID:SPDIF Out (STRIX SOUND CARD) UID:\?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{a6338a6c-cacb-4236-b361-e18f7c2d0b13}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}

6 available sample rates up to 192000Hz
Volume Control
Physical: No
Virtual: No
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Unhandled
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:0 R:1
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: No

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 96kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 96kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 176.4kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 176.4kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 16bit little endian 192kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 24bit little endian 192kHz

Local devices found : 5
Device #0: SPDIF Out (STRIX SOUND CARD) Manufacturer: Model UID: SPDIF Out (STRIX SOUND CARD) UID: \?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{a6338a6c-cacb-4236-b361-e18f7c2d0b13}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}
Device #1: Hoofdtelefoon (SoundSticks Wireless Stereo) Manufacturer: Model UID: Hoofdtelefoon (SoundSticks Wireless Stereo) UID: \?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{9a8de26f-7fbf-47e7-8fcc-27c84c80a284}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}
Device #2: Luidsprekers (STRIX SOUND CARD) Manufacturer: Model UID: Luidsprekers (STRIX SOUND CARD) UID: \?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{31a264f5-86e5-43e1-b3db-9bfd6a1a7989}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}
Device #3: PHL BDM4037U (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) Manufacturer: Model UID: PHL BDM4037U (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) UID: \?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{1c224ea3-dbc7-40b3-8c17-9f2e70cd450b}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}
Device #4: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2- High Definition Audio Device) Manufacturer: Model UID: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2- High Definition Audio Device) UID: \?\SWD#MMDEVAPI#{0.0.0.00000000}.{0a81851a-b8ed-408a-9f7b-6a4fa19325a7}#{e6327cad-dcec-4949-ae8a-991e976a79d2}

UPnP devices found : 0

So your pioneer is not detected, do you have a mode activated like a standby mode?

Hopefully, this will lay to rest the Pioneer /Onkyo failure to detect UPnP by Audirvana. I had the same issue, with two Onkyo amps. Then I changed from wireless to a wired network for both amps. The laptop is connected wireless, to the same network. So far so good. I have restarted the app, rebooted the laptop a few times, moved from one access point to another, I can still see both amps. If things remain as they are, I will conclude that the issue is with the network card Pioneer uses for their products. Using an ethernet cable should solve the issue. so, for now, touching wood and waiting.