Audirvāna Studio 2.1 and Devialet Phantom?

I am testing AS since last week. I have a couple of issues, but this is a new one. AS is running on a headless Mac mini streaming via UPnP to a Stereo Pair of Devialet Phantom. Music suddenly stopped playing. I checked with AS and it lost connection to the Phantoms playing to the internal speaker, no Phantoms available. Neither restarting AS, nor the Mac made the Phantoms appear. Tested the Phantoms with other wireless sources, everything works fine. The Phantoms are turned on every day via electrical switch. The Mac mini is sent to sleep overnight. Is this related to the 2.1 update or is it a Devialet issue (Firmware 2.16.1)? Following please find the debug info. After rebooting the Devialets, the connection could be restablished.

Audirvana Studio 2.1.0 (20100)

macOS 11.7.1 with 8GB physical RAM

Connected account of : Stefan Ebersberger

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
r8brain not in use
r8brain filter parameters
Bandwidth = 99.5%
Stop band attenuation 218dB
Phase linear

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 74.5791
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 1 folders
AUTO: /Volumes/Morpheus/Music/iTunes HD
iTunes/Music library synchronization: not synchronized
Library database path: /Users/server/Library/Application Support/Audirvana/AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite

Remote Control server:
Listening on 127.0.0.1 on port 62497

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES
Qobuz: Connected as Qobuz Studio

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Active method: Local

Max. memory for audio buffers: 2004MB

Local Audio Engine: CoreAudio
Exclusive access: ON
Integer mode: ON
Use max I/O buffer size: ON
Actual I/O buffer frame size: 512

Preferred device:
[UPnP] Devialet Devialet Stereo
Model UID:Devialet Phantom I Light Chrome
UID:uuid:f0f4d852-8b21-4d22-9be0-400d54491207

Active Sample Rate: 44.1kHz
Hog Mode is off

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: 96kHz
Sample rate switching latency: 0.5s
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: ON

Selected device:Mac mini Speakers
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Model name: Apple Inc. Mac mini Speakers
Model UID: Speaker
UID: BuiltInSpeakerDevice
ID 0x49

4 available sample rates up to 96000Hz
Audio buffer frame size : 14 to 4096 frames
Current I/O buffer frame size : 512

Volume Control
Physical: Yes
Virtual: Yes

MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Unhandled

Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1

Stream ID 0x4a 2 channels starting at 1
4 virtual formats:
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 44.1kHz

4 physical formats
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 44.1kHz

Local devices found : 1
Device #0: ID 0x49 Mac mini Speakers
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Model UID: Speaker
UID: BuiltInSpeakerDevice
Model name: Apple Inc. Mac mini Speakers

UPnP

UPnP devices found : 0

Chromecast

Chromecast devices found : 0

Try moving your audio buffer up to 4000mb, power down your speakers (unplug), fully power down your network modem, router, switch, etc. Restart your system and give it a try.
Best luck with it.

It is working now again. I am testing Roon as well, because I have to decide which subscription to keep. I have to admit that Roon is sleeker, more convenient and robust (not a single issue in 3 weeks). Nevertheless, their upcoming price increase is something to consider. Right now Audirvāna creates more issues for me, but my hope is that AS will improve over time.

1 Like

Very good, I’m in exactly the same boat as you. I’ve just taken a one year roon sub, it’s working so seamlessly with several different pieces of kit that I have. I’m finding that the sound quality is very equal it did take me some learning curve to dial the dsp stuff in on roon vs my plugin stuff with Audirvāna. It’s more about UI at this point in my opinion.
The thing that I was trying to see with your phantom system is if it’s like the issues that kef active speakers have, some kind of handshake issue that requires a full power cycling. You turn the speakers off at speaker or at wall socket?

I turn them off at wall socket every night. I know this might not be the best option, but one of them is a first Gen which consumes quite some power when idle. The other one can be sent to sleep via back button. I did not need to full cycle all devices today, just the Phantoms to make them reappear. From next year on Roon will be about double the price (12.49/14.49) vs. Audirvana … Still undecided what to do.

There are the same complaints about KEF’s and Devialet’s on the Roon forum too. The answer on the Roon forum is also always:

• Do the basics first meaning: power off/unplug and restart everything.

This has more to do with wireless protocols and KEF and Devialet than with Roon or Audirvana I am afraid.

1 Like

I am aware of the challenges of streaming audio and wireless network setups. Over the years I navigated those in different setups. In my case it is simply the small things that add up to a point where, at the current stage, Audirvāna is less reliable for me and more tedious to work with. So far (3 weeks) Roon has never failed me and is definitely more robust in a server setup. Audirvāna has been my main software for a couple of years. Nevertheless, I would like to give Audirvāna Studio a chance as I hope it is a more modern and robust framework. I am not talking about local DAC output, where I think Audirvāna is superior. But for wireless Roon seems to have the upper hand.

1 Like

Have you tried setting a fixed IP address?

1 Like

Yes. Server has a fixed IP :slight_smile:

Devialets I mean.

1 Like

Ah, OK. I will give it a try.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.