Audirvāna Studio vs Roon

Very interesting, I 100% believe you both as I know that you guys have solid experience with your systems and the software……maybe the colonel did tweak the secret recipe at bit. I have a bit of a theory about how Damien massages the sound of the playback compared to the Roon sound and it’s maybe not bit perfect perhaps but it’s quite pleasant to most folks.

3 Likes

I guess he uses a different kind of massage oil? Actually I prefer the AS sound by far. Roon sounds far more flat and dull here. It did so with my Audiotrak Prodigy Cube sound card, and it also does it with my new ZEN DAC V2.

My Roon sub expires in July. And I’m not going to renew it again.

2 Likes

OPTIMIZATION OF THE AUDIO PLAYER

The software and its playback engine have been optimized in the latest 2.1 update for both Windows and MacOS, taking advantage of the latest capabilities available on both environments. This applies to all Windows computers, and Macs updated to MacOS Ventura.

So it would seem that something has been changed in the audio engine, although the extent of these changes may well be minimal?

As they say, ‘one mans feast is another mans famine’.

2 Likes

Si , yes you’re on to something right there. I noticed this with my headphones system when first listening to Roon flat No DSP enabled. Then I started studying the DSP settings, did my EQ for my Sennheiser headphones, a bit of a tweak for my left ear issue, played with the crossfeed and I’ve now got it so close to the same when I A/B test. With Audirvāna to me you by default have an air, sparkle, more treble sound. With Roon you have to do some tweaking and understand not only what to dial in but just as important at least in my perception what order you apply the DSP settings. This last part kinda blew my mind that it would make a large difference.

2 Likes

So what could this actually mean? Is it just something that takes a couple of hours for your brain to adjust too? Is it possibly a more accurate honest output? Less secret sauce, it’s so paradoxical that we want the pure bit perfect playback but perhaps actually prefer some DSP, many of us have slightly worn or wonky audio input devices mounted permanently to side of our heads. I don’t know? Just food for thought, If it needs a bit of tweaking for your taste go for it I think.

2 Likes

Quite a timely post, this stuff is so very subjective.

Just wait until he updates to 2.1 :joy::wink::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This topic is no longer relevant for me.
Roon already wants my credit card details for the trial. A NoGo for me!
And currently Roon is noticeably more expensive than Audirvana Studio.

I bought an M1 Mac Mini in full configuration in Aug. 2021. In Nov. 2021 a CORDA DACCORD-FF DAC from Jan Meier. Tried all kinds of players → foobar2000 (for Mac), Decibel, Fidelia (Apple App Store), Decibel, Amarra, JRiver Media Center (changed the metadata of the music files without asking, restored their backup) - and of course Audirvana Studio. Which I then licensed in Jan. 2022.

PS: Unfortunately, my community account was classified as spam by the system and deleted along with my postings, so this is now the second attempt!

ROON also email a reminder before your trial expires, so you’ll know when to cancel if it’s not for you.

1 Like

Seems some problems with the latest roon update, message on the forums homepage, bummer :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Yes but this is not a fair practice. So if you have other problems or not check the email or for any reason you forget to cancel they will eat you money. Shame on they. I know this is a common marketing practice for many companies but it’s an abuse imo.

1 Like

My current Roon sub expires in July next year. And I’ve decided not to continu it. AS suits my needs just fine, and I barely use Roon at all.

1 Like

I won’t need Roon ARC as I have my music stored in the Vox cloud. And the Vox app plays it back perfectly on either my Mac or iPhone.

1 Like

I’m not so young and it’s not about me. I know, you asume something when you pay for, I also tested Roon one year ago. But I think completely fair is to not ask for cc until it’s free. If you are a music lover and like the software you will clearly subscribe, don’t you think? I talked about ethics, I know many cases when people (btw especially old) pay more than they expected for something because companies makes things this way - you have to pay attention to that, and that, and that. The customer should be protected and not have more responsabilites than it’s absolutely necesary. We have enough problems / better things to do. Of course is not a reason to not choose Roon if you like/need- is clearly a great software. Just an opinion. Sorry for offtopic.

Roon asks for the credit card to avoid people who would try their player for free, again and again during months and years, with a new e-mail address each time.
The streaming services do the same.

5 Likes

Yes, it is something… But in my country is very easy and fast to have a new cc, real or virtual, especially in big cities… Also you can cancel your PayPal account and create a new one, even a new email address in… 15 minutes? But yes, it is a protection, a reason for this and not just marketing, I agree. I think audiophile people or music / musicians lovers usually will not do this - they have enough money, love for music & artists, a different atitude. And others have plenty free players. Btw, it’s December, Christmas is coming, yooo-hooo!

PS: Before Qobuz tried Spotify, Deezer, Tidal. Just Tidal and Qobuz asked for my financial details before trial - indeed was a shock for me, not very familiar with this. But I saw many others do the same (VPN services, online TV).

Congratulations on purchasing a Roon Lifetime subscription!

1 Like

Interesting that Audirvana Studio is after 12 years of subscription more expensive than Roon…

Matt

The most important question (for me) is what sounds best? And the answer is: AS. I know, I can use a dedicated server for Roon, HQPlayer, blah blah blah, but I don’t want to spend more money and complicate my life. Plus I live in a small apartment, don’t have too much space. So AS has its pluses for me, unless it’s too expensive. Just want a plug and play solution with best sound to use with my usb dac, nothing more.

3 Likes

Y’all obviously need another cup of some strong Java because you’re confusing the crap out of me, @matt what do you mean studio is more expensive than Roon? I’m missing the punch line probably……I’ll go get some more coffee and let it soak in, meanwhile Daniel can work on his editing :stuck_out_tongue: Love ya @DGrigorescu !

2 Likes

Huh…….??

Yeah congrats @sandsOfArrakis ………you go son….:joy::wink::rofl:

1 Like