Audirvāna Studio vs Roon

In my opinion Roon is nowhere near as transparent and good sounding as Studio Roon is much easier to navigate but also has it’s issues.We will
See in a few months if the glitches are fixed in Studio.

2 Likes

The challenge is the AS trial is only 30 days.
I doubt the issues will be corrected that quickly.

The beta release has not left a great taste in my mouth. I would not recommend this software to anyone in its current state.

Is Damien the only programmer addressing these issues?
Does AS have a programming team? committed to the dev of this software?

1 Like

Loving kernal streaming with r8brain upsampling to dsd 64. But yah I am more interested in studio a year from now when it’s more polished.

Different doesn’t have to mean better or worse. But I agree that studios future has my interest. Especially at the legacy members discount.

I have Roon, its crap.

Can you say Lipstick on a Pig?

People are star-struck on Roon because it curates pictures for artists. Take away the pics and you have a bloated PO.Software that has layers of useless and redundant menus with avg sound at best.

5 Likes

Did you ever run Roon Server or Roon OS on a dedicated machine? I wasn’t fond of Roon at first but after installing Roon Server on my old Mac Mini and using my iphone / iphad as remote I was really impressed. If i was to use a single PC or Mac directly conneted to my DAC without any remote device I would have sticked with Audirvana 3.5 but in my case Roon just offers a much better user experience.

And one thing that I was baffled by was how much the sound quality of Roon improved when running Roon Server on a Mac Mini connected via ethernet. I am using a Cambridge CXN V2 as an enpoint also connected via ethernet. AS and 3.5 always had trouble playing via upnp… in AS I can’t even play a single song on my CXN via upnp. I really tried to make Audirvana work but was left with disappointment. And the lack of support from Audirvana just turned me off completely…

If AS works for you thats great. I wished it was the same for me but unfortunately it doesn’t and I don’t have the time to play beta tester for Damien. I will continue using my 3.5 license to play Qobuz when I am travelling with my Mac Book but thats it… not that the Qobuz app would have done that as well for free… just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

misread sorrry …

I’m afraid this post is a bit of a provocation?
Roon and Studio are different worlds - with a certain part in common.
But with all due respect to Audirvan, Roon’s world is definitely bigger. Disproportionate bigger to the difference in the subscription price …
So there is nothing to compare, the target of both products is separate.
Well - maybe with a small part in common :wink:

1 Like

I don’t have a local library, all of my music is either Qobuz, Tidal, internet radio or vinyl so I don’t care about how well metadata is managed.

Audirvana sounds much better than Roon and I prefer the interface to that of Roon 1.8 (1.7 was good but they got 1.8 massively wrong)

TBH I’m happy with the squeeze interface on my Innuos as that also does everything I need.

1 Like

Agree with you. Tried both and I don’t hear a difference in my system. It’s all down to futures and UI where roon is on another level. If there is a difference in SQ between Roon and Audirvana due to filtering then this will be easy to measure. Still haven’t seen any measurements to support the opinion that Audirvana is superior and therefore should be considered just as an opinion.

2 Likes

I agree with your view on the sounds quality. Big step difference between Audirvana Studio compared to Roon. Roon is all about information and discovery, which is great. But as a user of both systems for several years, I have always reverted to Audirvana for listening enjoyment.

4 Likes

Did I ever run Roon Server on a dedicated machine…of course. I ‘only’ run my music servers on dedicated machines. With that said…LINUX is the machine of choice for dedicated, single purpose applications. Windows and Mac are resource hogs [which is okay] because they are ‘meant’ to be used for multiple home computer oriented applications.

i have both ROON and this Audirvana Studio(Trial Version) and the sound coming out from the studio is so good it’s almost holographic and so neutral and the tempo is quick too, compare to ROON w/c is really flat by the way. Is it becoz in studio we have the option to choose kernel streaming? and ROON does not have this as i see it. i’m only talking about the sound quality not those fancy metadata presentation and with that said looks like i’m gonna discontinue subscribing ROON besides it’s much expensive.

7 Likes

Audirvana Studio is on the right path but it’s still buggy. I would love to see them running on Linux like Roon.

6 Likes

Keep in mind that if he does create a Linux version, it will likely sound different.

I know some people don’t believe it but the OS does contribute to the sound…as well as the output drivers eg kernel streaming.

Either way Linux would be an obvious better choice for a single purpose audio device.

Tongue in cheek Jim

Reformat the M2 drive , install Windows and install both under Windows 10 :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

Try JRiver as far as I know they use Kernel Streaming and have for years, could be wrong ?

It’s old school but incredibly stable, the dev work tends to be on video, audio has been “complete” for years

Agree with that Mike.
I used JRiver for years, stable as a rock.
Unfortunately as mentioned before, no Qobuz or Tidal integration made me look for an alternative-that alternative being Audirvana.

I did say tongue in cheek :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try MConnect as a remote it has both Tidal and Qobuz ???

1 Like