Audirvāna Studio vs Roon

I have both too…no sonic improvements noticed in my part. But then, every single time they update someone says they notice an improvement in sound. 100% placebo effect imo.

4 Likes

Well the sound quality hasn’t changed here. As a matter of fact Roon still doesn’t recognize my monitor speakers. Even though macOS and Audirvana do. And on Windows Roon keeps forgetting the soundcard I’ve set for it to use as a zone. So Roon still goes to the recycle bin once my sub expires in June. I barely use it anyways.

AS on the other hand, plays fulltime here. 2 licenses, one expires in May, the other in June. And I have already pretty much decided to extend them. Damien & co. do seem to be busy ironing the bugs out, and the program runs solid a a rock here on both my laptops.

2 Likes

I took advantage of ROONs 3 months for $1 offer. Did a blind test directly from my NUC to Chord Mojo and Bowers and Wilkins P7 headphones, and tbh didn’t notice any major difference between ROON and Studio.
If for reliability alone, ROON wins hands-down.

2 Likes

YMMV, but at the moment the newest Roon update has corrupted my database. After rebuilding it Roon did not start anymore. Completely uninstalled/re-installed Roon and now Roon is completely rescanning the library from scratch. Now Roon won’t recognize my sound devices and I am trying to fix that (also on a NUC by the way).
After some teething problems in the beginning Audirvana Studio has been solid/stable for me.

Of course nothing is perfect, both have their pro’s and cons, but to say that Roon wins hands-down for stability is not my experience. But as I said before YMMV.

1 Like

I was talking about B882. Appearantly B882 did not solve it for me. I am not complaining because I am aware that in software development things can go wrong. With the new install I did I can probably fix it fine.
But as I said in my previous reaction to Ironz, the suggestion that Roon is more stable than AS is in the eye of the beholder…

1 Like

Sounds like one Roon user has caught on to being used and taken advantage of…should users pay hundreds of dollars for a product and volunteer their time/effort to make said-product better?

Great idea to crowd source this work, but I agree with the OP on this, its Roon who should be doing this not the users.

They can hire more people but that would cost everybody 10 bucks a month more. Is that what you’d prefer?

1 Like

Nope, I prefer to get what I paid for from the start.

The promise was:

Roon finds the information you’ve been missing
There’s more to describing your music than artist, album, and track. Roon finds and displays detailed metadata for your music, including reviews, ratings, recording and release dates, multi-tiered genres, high-resolution artist photos, and lyrics.

In exchange for $.

Its changed to Roon ‘customers’ will find information that’s missing.
Roon ‘customers’ finds and displays detailed metadata for your music…

Nowhere there is mentioned centering of artwork images.

You must not have Roon…I do, its actually finding missing images, uploading the image and positioning the image.

I do and I have no problem with crowdsourcing some of the metadata functionality. You can’t expect Roon to do everything, especially where heavy human processing is required.

I don’t see the problem. By helping yourself you’re helping others. Everyone benefits either way.

1 Like

I wonder if its even legal.

According to Roon they paid for images etc for their database…some 500K images. They are effectively bypassing this by having their customers grab images off the Internet.

Yes I do expect Roon to do it, they said they would when I paid for it so I expect it. Its not my fault they got in over their heads.

Customers are giving them data for gain and profit.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some smart and handsome person starts an Internet petition.

Like that’s gonna change things. If this is something unacceptable to you, just stop subscribing to Roon.

1 Like

I’m a Lifer…

:grin:

According to Danny, they purchased the rights to images from FanArt, I wonder what Fanart thinks knowing that the reason Roon stopped buying rights is because they got their users to steal, swipe, grab images off the internet and upload it for free.

Kind of like McDonalds cutting out their Bun supplier because they got their customers to get Buns from the homeless shelter for free and bring them to the stores.

I think it would be more fair if Roon gave credit to users who contribute artwork. At least then there would be some kind of compensation.

FWIW

last weekend I migrated my Roon install from a Windows 10 desktop to a new NUC 10 i7 complete with new SSD

Did all the stuff, copied files etc. Restored a backup

Fired up first go and has been 100% so far all week

The database corruption quoted is probably that the new build actually detected an existing corruption

1 Like

I think there is pros & cons with both AS & Roon, I don’t necessarily think Roon is better than Audirvana Studio, its a matter of preference.
I have both on my Windows PC: Solved! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, been a longtime Roon user.
Now that I’m building a new music server, I’m thinking of switching to AS.
I have few questions that I hope could get answered.

• Does AS support PCM 32fs/DSD1024? I have HQP Pro and does offline upsampling sometimes
  • I heard there’s a 2GB file limit, has this been resolved?

Thanks!

2 Likes

If you have ASIO driver for your device, and it supports Native DSD, there is no limitation to the max sampling rate.

The 2GB limit is fixed in Audirvana Studio.

1 Like

I have both on my PC. It depends for what you are looking for. Roon give an user expérience incredible… But for sound quality AS IS a better choice. For me the more important IS quality sound. Because i listen music and I don t watch a screen ! So it depends how you feel the music… I m the older generation and for me music IS sound and not pictures and graphiics and …
:wink::+1:

2 Likes