Audirvāna Studio vs Roon

When I updated Audirvana Origin to version 2.1 I was already using OS Ventura, and that was my perception.
It could be a placebo effect.

That must be the one that he meant, I wonder what @Ironz favorite RPG is? Perhaps we should speculate :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Didn’t know he is into RPG’s. It’s definitely one of my favorite genres.

2 Likes

So back on track, did @Damien tweak something and some folks are not digging it?
You should definitely double check that your personal playback parameters are correct and didn’t get reset to default perhaps? Plugins not enabled? Just maybe something didn’t stay stuck during updates………just grasping straws

He’s pulling your leg mate.
Space Invaders/Donkey Kong/Scramble are about my limit.
MAME64 :+1:
All these new-fangled games and controllers- I swear you need more than the 5 fingers on each hand God gave us :rofl:

4 Likes

Hmm… I’ve compared the same track on both Mac’s with otherwise the exact same hardware. It would seem to me that on my Air with Monterey sounds a bit fuller and more dynamic compared to my MBP with Ventura.
But the difference is minimal.

1 Like

Good shout.
I know I’m on a lowly PC, but in all honesty can perceive zero difference in SQ, even though it should sound better.

Emulator guy eh? Same here. Running OpenEMU here on my MacBook Pro. Pretty much all the games from the good old Nintendo and SEGA consoles I grew up with.

Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid on SNES, Sonic and Streets of Rage on Mega Drive.

Fun times :smile:

1 Like

I’d be surprised and shocked if @Damien would make any large changes to the sound engine module, it’s the thing that doesn’t need a change the most imo.
Maybe some synergies between the double upgrade to macOS and Audirvāna?
Again just a WAG on my part trying to extrapolate possible issues.

OR

Y’all are just audiophile bat shit crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yes, the difference is minimal, but I think there was a difference.

2 Likes

Rey, you double check upsampling, Sox vs R8brain, plug-ins settings are exactly same?

R8brain here. Default settings. Never used plugins or changed the settings anywhere. Goes for both MacBooks.

I’m not using upsampling and no plug-ins.
Just the disc exactly as it was recorded.

But to be honest. If @Reynaldo hadn’t brought this up, I would have never noticed it.

1 Like

Still sounds excellent though. The Air is back to its normal spot in the living room where it Chromecast’s to my stereo speaker set there.

Very interesting, I 100% believe you both as I know that you guys have solid experience with your systems and the software……maybe the colonel did tweak the secret recipe at bit. I have a bit of a theory about how Damien massages the sound of the playback compared to the Roon sound and it’s maybe not bit perfect perhaps but it’s quite pleasant to most folks.

3 Likes

I guess he uses a different kind of massage oil? Actually I prefer the AS sound by far. Roon sounds far more flat and dull here. It did so with my Audiotrak Prodigy Cube sound card, and it also does it with my new ZEN DAC V2.

My Roon sub expires in July. And I’m not going to renew it again.

2 Likes

OPTIMIZATION OF THE AUDIO PLAYER

The software and its playback engine have been optimized in the latest 2.1 update for both Windows and MacOS, taking advantage of the latest capabilities available on both environments. This applies to all Windows computers, and Macs updated to MacOS Ventura.

So it would seem that something has been changed in the audio engine, although the extent of these changes may well be minimal?

As they say, ‘one mans feast is another mans famine’.

2 Likes

Si , yes you’re on to something right there. I noticed this with my headphones system when first listening to Roon flat No DSP enabled. Then I started studying the DSP settings, did my EQ for my Sennheiser headphones, a bit of a tweak for my left ear issue, played with the crossfeed and I’ve now got it so close to the same when I A/B test. With Audirvāna to me you by default have an air, sparkle, more treble sound. With Roon you have to do some tweaking and understand not only what to dial in but just as important at least in my perception what order you apply the DSP settings. This last part kinda blew my mind that it would make a large difference.

2 Likes

So what could this actually mean? Is it just something that takes a couple of hours for your brain to adjust too? Is it possibly a more accurate honest output? Less secret sauce, it’s so paradoxical that we want the pure bit perfect playback but perhaps actually prefer some DSP, many of us have slightly worn or wonky audio input devices mounted permanently to side of our heads. I don’t know? Just food for thought, If it needs a bit of tweaking for your taste go for it I think.

2 Likes