Audirvāna Studio vs Roon

Oh yeah smarty pants…….glad to make you smile. Yes I’m in a better mood today

Hey I just pm you with some serious business mate so sober up and get your smart hat on……:stuck_out_tongue:

Just replied sunshine :+1:

1 Like

There are plenty of things that Roon does not do and for which Audirvana can remain very useful for you:

• You can listen with it to RHA Streaming.
  • You can use VST plugins.
  • You can listen to DSD and PCM Wavpacked albums, to ISO SATA albums, and to albums with CUE sheets…
3 Likes

I am curious - why are VST plug-ins a plus in AS? And what are some examples? Thanks - I am genuinely interested in how these work and why they elevate the AS experience! :grin:

it is just a plus if you are missing something…
i use one for adding a little low end bass to my music
as i found my speakers a little weak there, since i don’t drive them enough loud
because of where i live now :wink:

1 Like

They are a plus if you want to have any sort of DSP. I prefer to have Audirvana as pure as possible.

Matt

3 Likes

How so Matt? Sorry, I am genuinely dense about this!

Search Google (also this forum). Usually are called “VST Plugins”. I mean in Windows. For example with an equalizer you can add or reduce bass or reduce just the “stomach” bass (100 hz). You can raise the impact of some instruments (500 hz 1 khz), you can add more presence on vocals (4 khz), you can make a more balearic sound (little raises on 10 khz - 20 khz). With other VST plugins you can make a more spatial sound or a “feel closer” experience. These VST are free or paid. Many have trials. I guess most users just enjoy the sound without using anything else, or just upsampling. It’s a subjective thing. Only you can decide.

2 Likes

DSP is an amazing way of reducing unwanted fidelity!

3 Likes

Audirvana works flawlessly on ARM64 RPI (4GB) unlike Roon…

@Poseidon, I agree about the experience. I have a subscription to both Roon and AS, but do 90% of my listening in the TIDAL app. I only use AS for local files and will not renew Roon.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
I am curious, did you compare Tidal via Tidal app vs. Tidal via AS?
Thx

Matt

How did you install Audirvana on a Raspberry Pi?

1 Like

First Windows 11 was installed (how to do it search Youtube) and then Audirvana for Windows. Simply - without any tricks.

Thanks for getting back!

Windows 11 would be the ordinary Winows 11 or a version specifically made for Raspberry Pi, like the Winows 11 ARM?

See also

Yes, and the same with Roon. TIDAL via TIDAL app vs TIDAL in Roon.

In short, for my needs, the user experience of AS or Roon does not match that of TIDAL. And TIDAL now has about 75% of the Hi-Res albums I had previously downloaded.

It is all personal preference.

Yes, I dislike the UI of both Tidal and Qobuz and prefer Qobuz via Audirvana.
Regarding UI Spotify is the best by far.
BTW, many who complain about the Spotify SQ have the wrong settings enabled:
https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130

Matt

2 Likes

Hi. I have used Roon for years and tried literally all combinations and their features.

The is a fundamental difference between Roon and Audirvana. It is simply the sound quality. But I am still happy with Audirvana but also wish for some additional functionalities there to be there.

I have the lifetime Roon subscription and not using it. Audirvana is superior in sound quality compared to Roon. With Roon, around 10 to 20% of the sound is masked when compared to Audirvana. Still, Roon is nice to use and listen to, but when you put thousands of USD into equipment, you do not want the streaming to take from that.

I was a member of the Roon community for nearly a decade and politely shared this experience. I was soft and mentioned Audirvana is 5% better than Roon and wished the next Roon version to catch up. It seems the Roon community moderators are too sensitive to Audirvana. After one day, I got many offensive responses to anything I wrote. Since my only concern is sound quality, I left the Roon community. My loyalty is to my ears as far as I am the customer.

7 Likes

I will say this - Roon is something like Netflix and Audirvana is like arthouse cinema or art cinema.
isn’t it?

3 Likes

tried roon didnt like the UI and the sound is like the most BASS engine players, most important the aristcover and the whole marketing of bio and etc didnt and never worked for me. plus the lifetime price is outrangeous. ts not worth it…

Audirvana FOREVER!

2 Likes