Best music streamer 100% compatible with Audirvana

Which model is your dac/amp ? … full model name

Alex, I checked and I have NO LIMIT selected. So I think that’s ok.

However, I checked DAC capabilities and it says that the limit is 48Khz.
The DAC model is 96Khz capable…what do you make of this? compatibility issue maybe?

Stefano, it’s a Peachtree Audio NOVA. This is from their website.
If I understand correctly the DAC is 24/96Khz capable

Nova Specifications
Amplifier
80 Watts per Channel <1% Distortion into 6 Ohms
ST MOSFET Amp Modules
Sigma Servo Internal Wiring Configuration

Preamplifier
Hybrid Tube Design (6922)
6.5V Output at 2.0V Input
<30 Ohms at the Output Stage
Class A Output Stage
Switching Relays in the Signal Path
Polypropylene Caps in the Signal Path

Headphone Amplifier (Shared with the Pre-Out Stage)
Suitable for All Electro-dynamic Headphones
Frequency Response: DC ~ 100 kHz +/- 0.1dB
Voltage Gain: 10dB
Maximum Output Voltage: 7Vrms
Output Impedance: <30 Ohms
Maximum Output Power: 100Mw/8 Ohm/300mW/150 Ohm/150mW/300 Ohm
Class A Output Stage
6922 Tube in Circuit

Digital to Analog Converter (DAC)
5 Digital Inputs: 1 USB, 2 Coax, 2 Optical
ESS 9006 DAC
24/96 Upsampling
11 Regulated Power Supplies
Organic Capacitors
Class A Output Stage
Transformer-Coupled Digital Inputs
Galvanically Isolated USB Stage

122db S/N
<1 Picosecond Jitter Measured at the Master Clock (Super Clock)

Don’t know. Try to disable integer mode and see if this changes anything.

If not, maybe @Antoine has an ideas why it’s not properly detected.

My understanding is that the input is 16/48 and will upsample internally to 24/96
The dac code 08BB:2704 (from the debug informations you posted) seems to confirm this as it describes a 16bit dac (PCM2704 Texas Instruments)

Do you think that going to Peachtree and see if they can do a remote diagnosis is a good way to go? or any other suggestion as next step?

Stefano,
On the other hand —the input when I copied the debug info was a master file from tidal. Shouldn’t it be 96Khz?

Thanks. I will try it later

The dac code is fixed, not influenced by what you are playing.
When you play something with a resolution higher then the dac can handle everything will be downsampled to the max dac resolution.
Could be a good idea to ask Peachtree the exact specs of your Nova.
Considering the age of Peachtree Nova (10/11 years old) I think it could be credible that the characteristics of the dac are those I suggested.

Well, that would explain a lot. I will share what I find out.

Hi Perro1965!
Friends of mine own a Node2i. Excellent integration of streaming services. I see no reason why you would miss UPnP. Use the app from any device, no messing around with drivers, plug and play.
From the ease of use you will be up to Roon. Any other software is for geeks. Don’t misunderstand me, I like Audirvana, I like to fiddle around…

BR
BB

Thanks!

This is the sad summary at this point…if it turns out that my very much appreciated NOVA dac is not 96Khz capable (I have reached for the Peachtree Audio team) I will have to decide how to move forward…

a) Continue using my macbook pro as a streamer and buy a DAC
b) Buy the Node2i which gives me a streamer/DAC solution (and I do like the simple approach)
c) Buy a streamer (the options that have been given to mee seem to be superior to what I knew existed. This is good as it would be a step up in sound quality (as long as I buy a good enough DAC)

Option c will probably have to wait for sometime. Yesterday I spent my savings on a turntable which hasn’t been delivered yet. After many, many years I’m going back to the reliability of records. I still think streaming is a wonder, but the digital world can be stressing.

Regards

Disabling the integer doesn’t seem to change anything

I’m not so sure about that. On the site, the specification clearly says 24/96. Wait for them to confirm.

I’m also a Bluesound customer (Node 2), and I must say that I like the device a lot.

There is another option, if you are a little bit in diy.
You could get a raspberry pi4 and install GentooPlayer or moOde or Volumio (all free software). Then configure it as a upnp/dlna renderer/streamer (enabling MPD and UpMpd).
Then you could get a dac like Khadas Tone Board or Topping E30.
Audirvana will find the raspberry over the network without any issue.
You’ll spend less then €/$ 200 and the Sound Quality will be at least on par to the Bluesound.

Well, probably not for me this project. But thanks, I think I can find somebody skilled enough to do the setup for me if I bring the raspberry.

Just for kicks, I just checked and the cost of the raspberry in Mexico with power adapter, case and ventilator is US$115. The Khadas is $300, which is very expensive considering that the cost in the US should be around $100.

The idea of using a raspberry for streamer is interesting. I may follow on that. Although right now the DAC is my #1 problem as it appears.

Stefano
I have been looking into this.

How do you feel about a raspberry hat DAC? Is there one in the market that could be good quality sound?

Allo Boss 1.2 is a good hat dac but Khadas Tone Board (generic edition) is much better according to these reviews

look at the Sinad graphic, Allo Boss is 93 while Khadas TB is 110
I’m using Khadas TB and I’m very satisfied with it.
Btw … look for flirc rpi4 case, it is passive and totally silent and very effective about temperature
https://flirc.tv/more/raspberry-pi-4-case

Allo USBridge Signature is an option.
I have a similar setup. Using MaxBookPro with Audirvana Streaming to my router wireless, via CAT 7 Ethernet to the Allo device, USB to DAC.

I‘m running moOde as operating system on the USBridge.
So I do have 2 choices to stream Tidal :

1.) with Audirvana Remote App on my phone controlling my MBP and stream to Allo USBridge.
2.) Using free app mconnect on my phone and stream directly to the ALLO USBridge. No need for the MBP to run.

Pros and cons:
1.) Audirvana does an unfold of MQA files, mconnect not, but can stream this format as well.
2.) Audirvana sounds slightly better to my ears, more micro details. But you need to have a high resolution system to hear the differences. MoOde is a very good Player .

I use a linear powerfully for the Allo USBrige Signature, which is an upgrade pass for you in the future. However, this USBridge only has a clean USB output, no SPDIF!! But I wanted to keep it simple.

BTW:
I would not be chasing for high resolution, even not 24/96. Good recording is much more relevant than higher Record resolutions.

You can get better sound quality from many tweeks in your system, then the resolution numbers of your streaming files. I.e. power cords or good USB cable has much higher effect on sound than a title in 16/44 or 24/192.

:sunglasses: I will definitely do so, congrats to your decision.
Depending on the level of your complete system and as long as it is not too power hungry (big power amp) a filter is what I recommend as very effective. My amp is integrated, 2*100W, 2 not too small 3 way floor standers. Made one giant leap forward, without noticing any loss. Furman AC 210.
To test it, I suggest you try with any filtering power connector for AV or so.

BR
BB