BUG – tracks cutting off 4 or 5 seconds early at end (entire album affected)

Okay then, since I have your company the next time I am actually sitting down and listening to music, I will do a bit more investigation. (unfortunately since everyone in my home now works from home (C19), I have less time to listen but I will over the weekend) I will reread what you wrote, and look for those things, and I will also see if I have any new observations to add to yours. (at least it is good to know that this bug is on both OS platforms)

Hopefully I will be able to post by Monday.

Actually I am going to start a new thread about this, because I just did a search for this ongoing bug and lots of people have it.

1 Like

I heard back from Audirvana support. They find the bug happens when upsampling is turned on. No bug when upsampling turned off & output through external DAC. (I’m guessing this explains why there is no bug with AirPlay). I confirmed that this is the case for me as well.

if you can check on your Windows machine if this holds, I’ll pass that on to Audirvana support.

Also, can you post the URL for new thread here? that way it can be x-referenced.

Bonsoir,

Je viens de constater un phénomène étrange sur la gestion de la mise en mémoire tampon

J’ai actuellement 16 go de RAM. .

Lorsque je monte le curseur à 8go, le temps montre profressivement à 60mn sous 192 kHz et repasse à 0 mn d’un coup et puis remonte de la même façon à 60 mn quand j’atteint 16 go.

Je ne sais pas si je suis clair mais peut-être est ce la cause de problème.

Y a t’il quelque que je peut faire au niveau de la RAM de mon PC pour essais ?

Serait-il possible d’avoir la version antérieur à la V.3.4.45 anttendant une nouvelle version plus stable.

Merci de votre compréhension.

Cordialement

Mr GUERNION

To say that the bug is related to upsampling is incorrect. I just disabled upsampling completely and a 24/96 stream from Qobuz cut out just before the end of the track.

I’m not sure that it can be just a buffer problem either- tracks of different length and different sample rate/bit depth all cut out a few seconds before the track ends. Changing the buffer size doesn’t make any difference.

This might be a difference between MacOS & Windows build; there might be different instigating factors at play on the different OS. Because on my MacOS machine & in the Audirvana support effort (I assume they were using a MacOS machine to duplicate my bug) to duplicate the bug, both instances showed upsampling is related to the bug.

Bonjour M. Guernion, est-ce que vous trouvez que le chanson (le ‘track’) s’arrête tôt, et on n’écoute pas le track entière? C’est ça que nous discutons ici. Je suis désolé, je ne comprends pas comment on monte le curseur à le RAM – est-ce que c’est dans le ‘settings’ de Audirvana, et si, dans quel setting? merci.

J’ai refait des test cet après et j’ai constaté que quand le titre est precharge rapidement je n’ai aucun soucis sur l’enchaînement du reste de l’album.
Et quand cela met un peu plus de temps, ça bloque à tous les coups.
Et comme le 24 bit est plus long à precharger, çà coupe à chaque fois.
Et utilisant le plug-in room shaper, cela ralenti encore plus le préchargement.
Je pense que temps de préchargement à une influence sur ce bug.
Est ce une mise à jour de Windows qu’on a provoqué ce bug, j’ai windows 10 pro.
Du coup je tourne avec Flac losless6sans Room shaper et ça passe à peu près.
Mais tous fonctionnait avant la V. 3.5.45.
Pour être sûr de ne pas avoir de Bug, je relance plusieurs fois l’album jusqu’à avoir une vitesse de préchargement rapide.
Voilà mon analyse.

I also have the same problem since the last update, very frustrating. And many people here have the same problem. Please address and resolve this.

1 Like

Nobodyknows, this URL I made just compromises a screen shot of others with this problem. After reading their threads fully I couldn’t find a single commonality.

Here is new URL:

My situation is the follows:

• I am on an INTEL NUC PC with 8Gb of Ram
  • I run a fully stripped down Win10 install with very little background tasks that only runs Audirvana
  • I connect to a DAC by the USB protocol
  • Oversampling is turned on
  • 3Gb allocated for preload
  • I only play songs from my own library never streaming
  • My songs are pulled from my remote media server (Win10) using ethernet
  • Ethernet is run through 1GbE switches

Issue:

• tracks stop playing within 3-7 (appx) seconds of the end of the track
  • Tracks can be 16bit, 24bit flac files or DSF files
  • problem is intermittent
  • absolutely does not happen all the time on every song
  • seems to happen to about 1/3 of my tracks though
  • never seem to know when it will happen
2 Likes

Okay so I tried turning off upsampling and played about 40 songs and not one was truncated seconds from the end. I have to assume that by now I would have had at least 15 songs cut out at the end. So that may have been the bug for me for the last 6 months. Extremely frustrating.

However unlike " williambillcard" I am listening to songs off my server. While he is still having the problem through Qobuz. I also want to subscribe to Qobuz shortly and would hate to have this experience through Audirvana.

As a side note: I must say though listening to a full song is wonderfully relaxing. I was correct when I said, “I would just get angry” while listening to my music. This listening session was actually pleasant, it made me keep listening while my ‘cut off’ song experience made me not want to listen.

1 Like

I have a similar issue with songs stopping a few seconds early and not starting the next in the queue. I’ve found that my issue is resolved by disengaging ‘shuffle play’.

This is some of the buggiest software I’ve ever used but still worth it for the VST equalizer I use to correct my hearing loss (Rolling Stones).

It just might be the buggiest software I have ever used as well, but I cannot deny the sound quality, it made my other choices look sophomoric. As I said previously I really hope that the next point release will be a huge generational leap forward in functionality and bug squashing.

was the latest 3.5.46 updated supposed to fix this problem with upsampling & tracks cutting off early? The bug persists in the .46 version.

I also have the same problem. It started when I switched over to Studio. Like others, the problem is rather random, and it is quite frustrating as I listen to quite ab bit a Renaissance and Baroque music; pieces that typically have lots of tracks, many of them short. I believe that it happens when listening to Qobuz, but can’t be sure as I switch between music on my local drive, and Qobuz.

The problem was isolated as happening with upsampling turned on. It happens for me with local files and Qobuz files both. The two albums it happens on are both choral music (one Dufay’s Missa St Anthonii, the other Mozart Große Messe).

I was directed to send the tracks to someone at Audirvana, since the problem was isolated as happening only with upsampling turned on. And in the 3.5.46 update (not Studio, the prior version of Audirvana) the update notice says “UPnP, DSD upsampled playback fixes” – but it did not fix the problem. (As i noted above.)

My system:
Audirvana Mac version 3.5.46 (3576)
macOS 10.14.6 with 16384MB RAM

The upsampling function also shows the error for me - if I deactivate it, the error disappears.

But since it is a powerful tool for sound shaping that I don’t want to do without, I experimented with the settings and found out the following:

I get the error when two conditions in the Audirvana preferences are met at the same time:

1. Upsampling is active.

2. Preload memory is larger than approx. 500 MB.

So: The error disappears when the preload memory is reduced.

Interestingly, the threshold is not fixed. In my first attempts, the healthy limit was 514 MB. After restarting Audirvana, it changed to 537 MB.
After freeing up computer RAM by closing several programs and restarting Audirvana, it was 529 MB.

It would be interesting to know whether these phenomena can be confirmed by other users - and which respective preload memory settings are the critical values ​​on their respective systems.

I have had a similar problem with Studio. It would randomly stop playing a track at any point (ie not limited to near the end) and go to the beginning of the next. This only happened on some albums and usually the second (slow) movement of a classical piece eg a symphony or concerto. This was also when streaming from Qobuz. I reduced the buffer a little and it seems to have stopped. I also had the skipping problem on 3.5 when upsampling and nothing fixed that except not using upsampling. My setting is 2200-2400 mb

@Antoine this never got fixed, still have problem despite updates. See this comment of ibex77 & GB46 for their sleuthing of what causes the problem.

You could try to use 1024mB (logica block size) ram for Audirvana to tackelen your problem!