Can Audirvana support DSD native output?

I found there are only 2 options for DSD output, DoP 1.0 and DoP 1.1.
Is it possible to support DSD native output which could support DSD256 or higher coding.

If you’re on a PC and have ASIO drivers installed, then yes. Otherwise DoP is the only option. Macs only support DoP anyway.

3 Likes

I’ve installed Audirvana for win, but I didn’t found the options for native output. Only the same DoP option as in Mac. Because I didn’t install ASIO drivers, it couldn’t show in configuration of Audirvana? How can I install the ASIO driver? Where to download?

From the DAC manufacturers site.

@bitracer Thank you! I’ll check with them.

@alon … There is nothing to be gained by playing the raw DSDxxx stream via Windows versus playing DSDxxx via DoP 1.1 on macOS… DoP (DSD over PCM) carries the raw DSDxxx data interleaved into the PCMxxx carrier stream and the DSDxxx stream is then extracted by the DAC for playback.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

With some DACs, the only way to reach the maximum DSD resolution is by using Native DSD. Other than that, it’s true. The DoP is pure DSD, just incapsulated in in PCM “words”.

2 Likes

In the vast majority of DACs using DoP, you will get half the capacity for DSD.
In terms of quality, using native DoP or DSD will be the same thing.

2 Likes

@bitracer … The very small number of relevant DACs that don’t support DoP is inconsequential when talking about DSD transmission, generally…

Well, if you have a PC and you really care about DSD, it makes sense to use Native DSD with ASIO.

Using PC with driver ASIO gives many compatibility issues.
If everything is working great.
I used it for a long time and gave up. I prefer to use a MAC without ASIO driver.

1 Like

Yes this makes sense… I was speaking to the notion that a large demographic of DSD capable DACs do not support DoP… Which is not the case… most do support DoP… The majority of DSD capable DACs, support both raw DSD and DoP streams… The computer platform/OS has nothing to do with whether or not a DAC is DSD capable… The computer platform OS, etc, may provide certain advantages or disadvantages in any given DSDxxx playback scenario.