Can't import my music from NAS

Hi –

I can’t import my music to Audirvana Origin 2.3 on my Mac (Monterey 12.6.3). Music is on a Synology which is connected via SMB on my LAN. Albums are saved in this structure:

Artist name
  Album 1 name
     01 Track
     02 Track
  Album 2 name

In total there are 378 folders in the main directory, which contains 5k+ albums with 70k+ titles – so it’s not a really small collection, but I have had some time to build it up…

I had problems with a trial version of Audirvana Origin, too, but was able to work around some naming problems of folders (Umlauts seem to be a thing that prevent Audirvana to crawl through my library.)

With my freshly purchased Audirvana Origin 2.3 license I deleted the Audirvana library and wanted to start from scratch. But Audirvana doesn’t import one album…

I started Audirvana with use of Terminal about which I read in another thread

cd ..
cd ..
Applications/Audirvana\ Origin.app/Contents/MacOS/Audirvana\ Origin

I got this output:

total jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobs

Repeat this a few hundred times. :crazy_face:
Eventually I got an error like this:

Audirvana Origin[40793:880718] Local Library Sync: error recursively enumerating file:///Volumes/DiskStation.local./music/Musik/Ce%CC%81cile%20McLorin%20Salvant/Me%CC%81lusine : Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "Die Datei „Mélusine“ konnte nicht geöffnet werden, da sie nicht existiert." UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/DiskStation.local./music/Musik/Ce%CC%81cile%20McLorin%20Salvant/Me%CC%81lusine, NSFilePath=/Volumes/DiskStation.local./music/Musik/Cécile McLorin Salvant/Mélusine, NSUnderlyingError=0x600000d96a00 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}

The file and libraries exists, I can see them in Finder and in File Station on my Synology AND I can play them with Plex.

So I quit Audirvana, renamed folder names without umlauts and start again all over. But nothing happens: Audirvana don’t want to import my music. Instead it starts again with this output:

total jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobstotal jobs = 100, too many jobs………

What can I do to improve things? I am trying for a week or so. Kind of frustrating. I know Plex and Roon didn’t have any problems to read this library – but that doesn’t help my with Audirvana.

Hi,
IMHO, this is probably linked to a wrong encoding of UTF8 accented chars. Since you can see the files and open them through the finder and some other applications, I would guess this is linked to the way accented chars are encoded in the database used by Audirvana. I heard that MySQL may encounter some troubles with chars encoded in UTF8.
There is at least another user facing the same situation but with very local files, directly stored on the MAC.
In that situation, I would be curious to have the feedback from Antoine to better understand how SQLite is configured with respect to UTF8 management, how could be know the current configuration and how could we change it if needed.

Hi @patifr,

Can you check with Terminal if you have your Synology mounted as smbfs?

You can use this command to see this:

mount

I will need to do some test about special characters in the folder name and file name to see what is going on on my side.

What we see here is that the problem is not with the “umlaut” but with a bloody french “é” :wink:
It appears that the “é” is encoded in two bytes (%CC%81) in UTF8 but maybe the real file name is encoded using a different scheme, which trigger the error raised at Cocoa level when the Sync function is trying to open the file.

Hi @Antoine thanks for looking into this.

mount
http://DiskStation.local.:<portnumber>/ on /Volumes/DiskStation.local. (webdav, nodev, noexec, nosuid, mounted by admin)

Is that good or bad?

Strange…
Is that all what you have as output of cmd ‘root’?
You should normally have all your disks appearing, including a volume on your Syno mounted with smb.
Something like:
//admin@DiskServer2._smb._tcp.local/Audio on /Volumes/Audio (smbfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by eric)

@Holger, you should see something like this, if not, then you may are not using smb connection:

//SupportAudi@AudirvanaSup/home on /Volumes/home (smbfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by antoine)

Oh, my fault. I cut off some stuff that I thought were unimported. Here is the whole output:

Mac-Pro:~ admin$ mount

/dev/disk1s5s1 on / (apfs, sealed, local, read-only, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)

/dev/disk1s4 on /System/Volumes/VM (apfs, local, noexec, journaled, noatime, nobrowse)

/dev/disk1s2 on /System/Volumes/Preboot (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)

/dev/disk1s6 on /System/Volumes/Update (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)

/dev/disk1s1 on /System/Volumes/Data (apfs, local, journaled, nobrowse)

map auto_home on /System/Volumes/Data/home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/MacPro4 (hfs, local, journaled)

/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/MacPro4-Backup (hfs, local, journaled)

http://DiskStation.local/ on /Volumes/DiskStation.local. (webdav, nodev, noexec, nosuid, mounted by admin)

//user@DiskStation.local/home on /Volumes/home (smbfs, nodev, nosuid, mounted by admin)

A short update on this: In the meantime, I managed to get my library read in by Audirvana. Every time there was an error with umlauts, I got a corresponding error message in the terminal and successively renamed every folder and subfolder name manually so that no umlauts or special characters were used any more.
This is not quite what I expect from modern software, but since this is a one-time process, I can cope with it.
Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know why this happens, e.g. which special character encoding Audirvana uses or expects, so that it does not drop out completely when special characters occur.

Hi @Holger,

I’m really pleased to know it worked for you and I need to make further test on my side before giving you more information on this matter.