Chromecast functionality

Chromecast functionality works great using the Chromecast Audio device. Scrubbing through the timeline, changing tracks, volume control, everything worked fine. Also played higher res files without issues, including converted DSD content.

When switching between devices, I noticed that at some point the volume control was disabled and I couldn’t re-enable it. After closing AS and restarting it, I was again able to enable volume control.

1 Like

My 2 Harman Kardon Citation 1 Duo Speakers show up as each one separately Links (Left) and Rechts (Right). Also the HK Huiskamer (Harman Kardon Living Room) shows up as a stereo pair. Twice actually. But it could be that I’ve created the Chromecast output twice in the Google Home app on my iPhone.

Just came home from work and just installed AS 2.0 Beta. But my Chromecast speakers worked out of the box. No delays so far when switching tracks. Changing from one part of the track to another works flawlessly as well.

With AS 1.14 on my MacBook Air I’ve got my Chromecast speakers running through Bubble UPnP. Which works. But between changing tracks there is about a 10 second delay. No delay here. Which is a real plus.

I’m testing 2.0 Beta on my M1 MacBook Pro with 8 gb of RAM and macOS 12.6 Monterey. Hooked up directly is my Audiotrak Prodigy Cube 24/96 USB sound card. And my Harman Kardon speakers as a stereo paired Chromecast output.

So far I’m very impressed with the Chromecast capability of AS. Definitely a keeper.

Edit:

Hmm… I’m running into an error here. At first I’ve had Left and Right playing separately. But now after creating the stereo paired Chromecast option, I’m receiving this error.

I’m receiving this message for both the left and right speaker when separately selected.

If I select the stereo paired Chromecast option, the music starts playing as normal. And you’ll hear the “chime” on each speaker that they are activated before playback of the song starts.

Restarting AS 2.0 Beta doesn’t fix this issue.

1 Like

Can you please post a screenshot of your list of devices from the Google Home app?

This is what AS shows:

This is what Google Home shows:

I see, I have tried to reproduce it with our Pioneer N-30AE and I don’t have the same behavior as yours.

I will then need your logs when you reproduce the issue.

Can you close Audirvāna Studio and open it again using Terminal? You can find it under the Utilities folder in Application.
We recommend you to copy and paste each line one at a time and press enter each time you paste a line:

cd ..
cd ..

Applications/Audirvana\ Studio\ 2.0\ beta.app/Contents/MacOS/Audirvana\ Studio\ 2.0\ beta

Audirvāna Studio will open, you will then have to reproduce the issue and send me the logs generated in a private message.

Hmm. Copy/pasting your listed code into the Terminal results in AS 1.14 starting.

Sorry, I edited it :wink:

Copy/pasting myself from the Opinion thread.

I’ve just started playing my favorited Qobuz track list. Almost 11,5 hours. Let’s see how it goes through Chromecast. :grinning:

Edit.

And I’ve run into a bug. Music played alright for about half an hour. Now it stops after every track. If I press play the next track starts, but when that track finishes the whole thing stops again.

When I manually press the play button to get things moving again, I’m hearing both speakers make their “online chime” as if AS cuts the Chromecast connection at the end of the track and just stops.

Edit…
After turning shuffle off it continues successfully to the next track. Now after turning shuffle on again it does continue as it should… Weird…

Edit 2 …
And after playing a few tracks it just stops again…

Lets see if it continues playing if I turn shuffle off and keep it turned off…

Edit 3 …
And now the music stops as well without using shuffle.

So it would seem it is not related to shuffle specifically.

Edit 4 …

Going to play the playlist through the USB connected Audiotrak Prodigy Cube 24/96 sound card. See if it stops or not, to make sure if the bug is related to Chromecast or not.

Audirvana Studio 1.99.15 (19915)

macOS Version 12.6 (Build 21G115) with 8GB physical RAM

Connected account of : Erwin Bron

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
r8brain with device max frequency upsampling
r8brain filter parameters
Bandwidth = 99.5%
Stop band attenuation 218dB
Phase linear

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 1 folders
AUTO: /Volumes/Antarctica/Music
iTunes/Music library synchronization: not synchronized
Library database path: /Users/erwinbron/Library/Application Support/Audirvana/AudirvanaDatabase.sqlite

Remote Control server:
Listening on 127.0.0.1 on port 49204

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES
Qobuz: Connected as Qobuz Studio

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Active method: Chromecast

Preferred device: [Chromecast] HK Huiskamer
Model UID:Google Cast Group
UID:9598655E-2320-43E3-8CC6-40E6B20C0D12

Currently playing to Chromecast device at 16 bits 48kHz
Device: 2ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16bits little endian Signed Integer, 4 bytes per frame 44.1kHz

Selected device: HK Huiskamer
Manufacturer:
Model name: Google Cast Group
Model UID: Google Cast Group
UID: 9598655E-2320-43E3-8CC6-40E6B20C0D12
ID 0x0

2 available sample rates up to 48000Hz

Volume control: Yes

MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: No
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Unhandled

Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:0 R:1
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Override device declared HiRes capability: OFF

1 output streams:

Stream ID 0x0 2 channels starting at 0
2 virtual formats:
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 16 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz

0 physical formats

Chromecast devices found : 4
Device #0: Rechts
ID: 9b459dde72cabd259adedc393b67c9c1
Model name: HK Citation One
Device #1: HK Huiskamer
ID: 9598655E-2320-43E3-8CC6-40E6B20C0D12
Device #2: Links
ID: fab063d34f421ba87edac68382bc0d67
Model name: HK Citation One
Device #3: HK Huiskamer
ID: 28FA4B55-711C-433E-8D3E-D7EAA61FA6E3

Local

Max. memory for audio buffers: 2048MB

Local Audio Engine: CoreAudio
Actual I/O buffer frame size: 0

Local devices found : 3
Device #0: ID 0x38 LG Ultra HD
Manufacturer: GSM
Model UID: 1E6D085B-0000-0000-0B1C-0103803C2278
UID: 1E6D085B-0000-0000-0B1C-0103803C2278
Model name: GSM LG Ultra HD
Device #1: ID 0x2d ProDigy CUBE 24/96
Manufacturer: GYROCOM C&C Co., LTD
Model UID: ProDigy CUBE 24/96:1852:7921
UID: AppleUSBAudioEngine:GYROCOM C&C Co., LTD:Audiotrak ProDigy CUBE:123000:2,3
USB Vendor ID: 0x1852
USB Product ID: 0x7921
Model name: GYROCOM C&C Co., LTD ProDigy CUBE 24/96
Device #2: ID 0x47 MacBook Pro luidsprekers
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Model UID: Speaker
UID: BuiltInSpeakerDevice
Model name: Apple Inc. MacBook Pro luidsprekers\nnUPnP

UPnP devices found : 0

AS’s debug info should you require it.

I’ve been playing in shuffle mode yesterday. Didn’t notice any issues, although admittedly didn’t play for that long. I’m using the original Chromecast Audio device.

Will try again today. I’m listening at this very moment using Chromecast and will turn shuffle mode to check if makes any difference.

Well playing through my USB sound card. AS beta 2.0 happily shuffle plays without issue. So it is definitely a Chromecast issue.

Not just using shuffle it acts up here. With normal play as well.

I’ve been playing for a while now, no issues with Chromecast Audio. Have you tried to unpair the devices and see if that’s the cause?

1 Like

Hmm. That may be worth a try. Then I can also discover if that fixes the integer mode issue that I’m having since pairing the speakers.

Edit:

Well that fixes the integer mode issue alright.

With the speakers paired I can’t play music when selecting one of the speakers directly in AS. With them separated they happily start playing.

Now let’s see if it continues playing through Chromecast here. AS plays without issues if I’m using the connected sound card on my MacBook Pro.

Well that’s been a few hours worth of testing.

End result… It doesn’t matter if I’m using Chromecast to stream to my speakers as a paired set, or after unpairing them and Chromecasting to a single speaker. Eventually AS will just stop playing at the end of a song and then nothing happens unless I manually click on the next track. Then after that track finishes. AS stops again.

It managed to play about 1,5 hours here before stopping streaming to a single speaker. First time it stopped when I was out for my daily walk and my Mac was sleeping when I returned. But the second time it just stopped while I was working on it.

So yeah… Chromecast isn’t perfect yet.

I’ve been playing music using my stereo paired Chromecast speakers and sadly the music still stops playing at random at the end of a track.

We will be able to do a proper test today to find what is going on :wink:

My favorite app for Android just upgraded to Chromecast functionality and they warn that it is in test mode.
I tried and it is working very well.
Not too much space to store music on my phone so Audirvana would be perfect option for this.

I am glad that Audirvana Studio is going to have this functionality.
I am casting every day to different Chromecast Audio end points (total 4)
plus Nest Mini speakers configured as stereo pair.
Critical listening Audirvana via Dac to amp.
For now I am using 3.5 but if Studio will have full Chromecast support than I may subscribe again.
Good job !