Collapse all & Column browser

3.5 had a nice feature allowing you when album are grouped e.g. by Genre to “collapse all” primary categories. Is that function gone?

Furthermore, from a UI perspective, I really like a “column browser” instead of the current floating filter window (I’d like to dock it on top instead of left or right).

2 Likes

Totally agree, @Musicophile. No column browser, no deal.

Honestly, make it look and work like iTunes, but with better sound and the capability to manage and play as many types of files as Audirvana supports, and you would have a lot of very happy users, @Antoine.

Till then, you can count me out. 3.5 was miserable, and Studio has even less of what I need to manage, browse, and enjoy my 6TB local music library.

I just can’t continue to beat my head against this wall.

Lots of luck.

1 Like

you can try that that i post on another thread, GaseousClay i know you answer to the other thread :slight_smile:

Try to make smart playlists and just make less menus in main windows…
here is my hard drive setup… then how to create those smart playlists… 26 = for A to Z

yours might be different setup, but just put your names in the playlist
or rename your things like mine :slight_smile:

then is is somehow like a browser with 26 directories… this is just to show you my setup… the name of my external hard drive… to make easier for you what to put in the filter window.

1 Like

A follow-up to this thread: I still don’t see the possibility of quickly collapsing all genres in the local album view. Am I missing something?

Sorry, but what does that means?? collapsing all genres??
you want to see nothing?

Genres can be seen in hundred ways like for me: Prog Rock… for you, progressive rock or Rock progressive or just Prog… Rock, heavy rock, pop rock… it is not easy… just make your music genre like you love them, like me… see my picture of all my Smart Playlists of all MY genres… just click the one you want and all of them you tag of that genre, will be there…

Albums view, you can’t now… but put your albums in tracks view and add the Genre Tab in that view and click to sort by genres in the preferences…

If you want to collapse all genres, just shut down Audirvana :wink:

Same thing if you want to see your database
by year of your albums…
by sample rates of your albums,
by genres of your albums…

Just create Smarts Playlists

Smart lists don’t offer enough flexibility.
In Music, you can create as many smart lists as you want, and still display each of them in columns view that you can configure with the columns that you want.
This is what I call a good library management.

Try to reduce your Covers layout in Music to have your space filled in your screen,
command + or - you can’t, try to play FLAC, or DSF… you can’t… Studio can.

i prefer sound over look, but i agree the more options you have
the more BUGS you have :slight_smile:

Can’t remember if true, but Damien or Antoine said it won’t be back, so…
downgrade to v3.2 of Audirvana, i think as that, column browser…

People ask for everything, but there is already 1000 bugs to get cured…
mac, pc, different OS, Dacs, now streaming on 2 plateforms on 2 different OS…

Life was simple in the Mac days only of Audirvana Plus :slight_smile:

Just to clarify what I meant: You can have your albums (in album view which I use exclusively) grouped by whatever first criterion you select, with the little checkmark on the bottom of the window:

You can then “open” and “close” all individual genres, similar to groupings in an Excel table:

I use this function a lot; as typically navigate Genre/Album to find what I want to hear.

In 3.5 there was a function to collapse and expand all groupings in this view with one click.

The lack of a column browser is an active U/I choice that I miss, but clearly it is Damien’s choice what U/I he is willing to implement.

But on the “collapse all” “expand all” function of the groupings, this is a very simple addition that was already there in 3.5. I have more than 5000 albums in my library, without this grouping function I’d be scrolling fovever.

You should check the tree folder view, you have that option, but yes, it doesn’t look to difficult to put that pref back :smile:

1 Like

Life was good. There were columns, and no subscriptions. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello @Musicophile ,

It will be added in the next update of Audirvāna Studio :wink:

1 Like

Great news!

Still no Column Browser, @Musicophile, despite the fact that this company just released an “update” that they claim is targeted toward users with large, locally-stored libraries!

The lawn looks great, but the house is on fire, @Antoine and @Damien!

2 Likes

Don’t be alarmed, Only thing in that house is a broken radio😂

1 Like