DLNA UPnP How to properly setup this on Audirvana?

Configuration : NAS (DLNA enabled), Music Streamer (UPnP enabled), Audirvana running on Windows PC, HiFi-Cast running on Android phone.

Current Status:

• Audirvana plays well the music stored on the PC hard disk on the UPnP music streamer.
  • HiFi-Cast running on Android finds the Music on the DLNA NAS and plays it right on the UPnP music streamer.
    Question
    I want Audirvana to run like HiFi-cas, I mean without mapping a network drive (Y:). This way the files won’t be first uploaded to my PC to be finally uploaded on the music streamer. Makes sense for 24-96 flac files !..
    I didn’t find a solution. I am an IT guy so we can talk about any technical HW or SW issues.
    Any help will be welcome.
    Merci.

You can’t do that, but you can have Audirvana access the shares where music is stored on the NAS using file sharing protocols and then stream to the streamer using UPnP.

Thank you for this anwer. This is a poor software design impacting the network infrastructure, let’s agree. The large High-Res music files are downloaded to the PC and then uploaded to the music streamer… Free software running on basic Android devices are doing better ! Let’s hope that a new version of Audirvana will take care of that.
Are you aware of a Windows-based program designed like the Hifi-Cast is ?
Merci beaucoup.

It’s a design choice. Historically Audirvana was used with local storage, so there was no file transfer going on.

You can try with JRiver, it can do that.

I am a happy user of Audirvana. It is just that I worry about my growing base of 24 bit flac files… Expecting that, I managed from the very begining to have the NAS and the music streamer on the same network segment. My PC isn’t. That is why I tried to setup Audirvana this way.
THANK YOU again for your fast answers.
Bonne journée.
Merci beaucoup.

It seems to me you are comparing apples and oranges
Audirvana is a player therefore it needs to manage a library, usb attached or on a nas, and a device, a dac or an upnp device, where to send the stream
Hi-Fi cast is a control point telling the dlna server where to send the stream
Audirvana is not a dlna server, therefore it is not a matter of “poor sw design”, it is simply a different thing. Strange that an IT guy cannot understand this simple difference.

Oooppps Thanks saying I am a stupid person. I worked several years in the US and in the UK. I am sure that you are not a citizen from these countries, they are too polite to behave like that.

TRUE. I don’t know the internal of this software. I can only guess how it works.
Your first phrase says that Audirvana is a player.
You confrim this in your second phrase, Audirvana doesn’t just send the Stream, it “plays” it.
It means that Audirvana transforms/re-Adjusts the music signal from the FLAC file before sending it to the DAC thru the network. This is not what I expected from this software, specially without having a way to tune this, or, just, disabling it
Is there somewhere a documentation, not just a commercial one, that I could read to try to raise myself to your level of knowledge ?
Thank you very much in advance for your guidance.

It plays bit-perfect if you do not use the resample options and use volume setting to max (100), but this do not have anything to do with the fact that Audirvana is a player instead of a dlna server
It is not difficult to find information over the network about Audirvana, Google is your best friend for this.
But I must say that is quite annoying to read “poor designed” about a software of which you ignore the basic functionalities and its peculiar charatheristics … and comparing it to a basic free android app means that you don’t know what you are speaking about

I changed the Sonos Connect to get a better sound from a music streamer. Big, big improvment but I lost an excellent interface running identically on windows and android to handle a 2000cd+ database.
In few words, I bought Audirvana as a replacement of the Sonos Interface, not really seeing thru the verbose and self-cheering documentation that it was doing more.
I still say that there is a design issue. FLAC files are bigger and bigger. Last sacd I ripped has one of its files 185MB big ! Reading it means an up and a download on the network. I hope that other people reading this text understands this remark. THAT IS WHY I wrote “poorly design”.
Having a dedicated PC with a connected a “n” Terabytes Hard disk drive and a direct connection to the DAC, could be a solution to handle these HiRes files. The Audirvana remote could be used to manage this.
Oooopss. The stupid IT person I am knows that it is not right. “Keep things simple” is a statement that is driving good choices.
What about buying a BlueSound Node 2i instead ? This all-in-one box (including the software) looks to be cheaper, better and ready for the future. That is what I am going to do.
Here is the end of my participation on this forum. I like arguing but I am far too much stupid to participate;

You can use both, the methods are not mutually exclusive.

When you want to stream without the computer, use the control point app. When you want a nice interface, there is Audirvana. Audirvana is designed to have an internal database holding the entire index of your music library. The main reason for this is speed. Sending the queries to the DLNA/UPnP server is not that fast. You can try with JRiver and your NAS.

Yours is a feature request, to implement control point functionality in Audirvana. Nothing wrong with that.

All right, so I am not a IT guy and hope I wont get insulted along the way …

What does this mean: (source https://audirvana.com/audio-devices/)
UPNP/DLNA
To send music to your wireless system without any loss in quality, Audirvana works with the universally accepted UPnP or DLNA protocol. It is a royalty-free protocol that allows multiple devices to communicate over the same network (wirelessly over wi-fi or wired over ethernet or PLC) to share and play files, including audio.

In this configuration, what DLNA refers to as a “media renderer,” which converts and plays the music, will retrieve the files on a “media server” using a control point, typically your computer. To be able to decode files in advance, Audirvana plays the roles of control point and ad hoc media server. In other words, it is seen by the renderer as the file provider, which allows it to perform the necessary processing.

I somehow feel that Audirvana already is a control point — it sometimes behaves weird not letting me scrub files that it seems to cast into play. Very non-player behaviour.