Do I need a preamp?

So I’m just wondering about my setup. Quite budget to say the least. But would still like to get the best out of it. So the question is, Do I need a preamp?

MacBook/ Atom DAC/Cambridge Azur 340/Wharfdale diamond 121.

Hi,
As long as you have a volume control available based on hardware or software there is nothing else needed…keep in mind “less is more” !!!
Success

Your Cambridge 340 is an pre-amp /amplifier combination known as a integrated amplifier so you have no need for a separate pre-amp.

Pretty nicely balanced mix of entry level good quality stuff, if it has enough power to drive your speakers loudly at 50% volume setting you are good to go👍🏻

2 Likes

So there is a small issue im having with this set up. I have a small amount of hiss.
If i have AS studio set at 100% and use the Cambridges volume control at its usual level (around 10 oclock) I get a very low level hiss. So to get around this I’ve been knocking the AS volume level down to around -19dB which gives me no hiss but my amp volume needs to go up to around 1oclock to get a volume without hiss, if i want it loud im cranking it all the way for not a massive increase in volume before hiss returns.

I feel ive not got it set up correctly. All settings like upsampling etc are off.

I had my Dac/preamp connected via USB to a NUC mini PC (Windows). I also heard an amount of electronic hiss. The power brick from my NUC PC was in the same power outlet as my amplifier.
When I changed the power brick from my NUC mini PC to another wall outlet (separate from the amp) the hiss was gone.
I don’t know how you are connected, but if that is the case give it a try. Also you can try different USB connections on your computer. Or if you move the power brick from your computer do you hear changes in the hiss?
If you connect other devices (like a CD player) to the Cambridge I assume you don’t have that problem?

Audirvana does not produce hiss, it merely transports the digital information from a file to a DAC. No hiss can be introduced here, because it is all in the digital domain. The hiss you hear is likely from the ‘noise’ from your computer, the power brick and/or other devices.

One thing is for sure. This has nothing to do with adding a pre-amp (or not), because an extra pre-amp would only make the noise problem worse. Besides (as others already mentioned) the Cambridge is an integrated amp (pre-amp and power amp in one box) and the built in pre-amp is perfect for the job :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.