DSD 1024 level audio files

You need to read more carefully.
He was referring to native DSD where there would be an Audirvana limitation on DSD256.

I responded to the statement above…

Dude, just give it up. Since the MacOS Core Audio driver only supports DoP and not native DSD at this point, for purposes of determining maximum DSD input rate to a given DAC there is no meaningful distinction between the rate DoP will allow with that DAC and the rate MacOS will allow with that DAC.

2822.4kHz is DSD64
45158.4kHz is DSD1024

Matt

3 Likes

2.822 MHz is the 1-bit sample-rate for DSD64 (64 x 44.1kHz)
5.644MHz is the 1-bit sample-rate for DSD128 (128 x 44.1kHz)
11.289MHz is the 1-bit sample-rate for DSD256 (256 x 44.1kHz)
22.579MHz is the 1-bit sample-rate for DSD512 (512 x 44.1kHz)
45.158MHz is the 1-bit sample-rate for DSD1024 (1024 x 44.1kHz)

DSD64 has a sample size of 1 bit and a sample rate of 2.8224MHz. In other words the data rate is 2.8224Mbits/sec This is equivalent to 16 bit PCM at 176.4kHz.

176.4kHz is the DoP carrier sample-rate for DSD64
352.8kHz is the DoP carrier sample-rate for DSD128
705.6kHz is the DoP carrier sample-rate for DSD256
1411.2kHz is the DoP carrier sample-rate for DSD512
2822.4kHz is the DoP carrier sample-rate for DSD1024

Of course… :smirk: :roll_eyes:

Using DoP (DSD over PCM) DSD is sent as a 16-bit chunk per PCM sample. So DSD (64) requires 4 PCM samples to hold 64 DSD bits and thus it needs to be sent as 176.4kHz PCM and thus DSD128 via DoP requires 352.8kHz PCM and DSD256 via DoP requires 705.6kHz PCM.

Only via ASIO (native) is DSD sent at the DSD sample rate, though under the bonnet it is send in effect as 32 bit per PCM sample, so 705.6kHz allows 22.57M DSD sample rate (DSD512). The key difference between ASIO native and DoP is the way DSD signals are identified and how many bits are available per sample.

ASIO has a mechanism separate from the data to signal DSD and uses 32 bit per PCM sample. For DoP the DSD marker is embedded in the PCM data stream and only 24 bit are used of which 8 bit are used as DSD marker.
https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/how-is-dsd512-transmitted/

Hi @YHao, I understand your comment. My question is do you have DSD1024 content in your audio library?

Hi @Antoine -

Does Audirvana permit upsampling to DSD1024 with a DAC that has DSD1024 input capability?

1 Like

@Jud and @Antoine

I will take advantage of the question to find out if there is a limitation in DoP256 in Audirvana and macOS?

Because I don’t know of any DAC that does DoP512.

A DAC that will do native DSD at DSD1024 in Windows with ASIO (i.e., without a custom driver), and in Linux with ALSA, will do DSD512 via DoP with the Core Audio driver in MacOS. It’s the same as any other DAC, the maximum input rate for DSD via DoP is half that of the maximum input rate for native DSD (barring custom driver situations).

There are just very few DACs that are capable of DSD1024 via native DSD without a custom driver. (And my apologies that I don’t have a list, since I have never been in the market for one. Perhaps the iFi iDSD Pro is one? Don’t know for sure, you can check it out at iFi’s website.)

2 Likes

@Jud

Yes on Windows and Linux it’s perfect, but my doubt is on MAC for using only DoP.
I don’t recall seeing any DACs with DoP512.

I just looked at the iFi iDSD Pro, I believe that in DoP it only does DoP256.

PCM up to 768kHz
DSD up to 49.152MHz (DSD 1024)
DXD and double-speed DXD (2xDXD)

Pro iDSD by iFi audio - Solid State or Tube DAC, WiFi Streaming Headphone Amp (ifi-audio.com)

Denafrips Ares II, apparently.

From what is in the manual only DoP64.
How is a DAC R2R do not know.

Specs - ARES 12TH | Denafrips

How strange - in 2020, someone reported in this forum that they had been doing DSD512 on a Mac with the Ares II, but could not get their Holo Audio May to do more than DSD256 from the same computer.

Edit: I think if you look at the PCM specs, you’ll see what they mean is that you can be assured of a minimum of DSD64 using any of the inputs. This is not a maximum for DoP on the USB input specifically.

2 Likes

Reynaldo, you probably need one of these for your collection :wink:

@OffRode
:grinning: :grinning:
I stopped shopping.
The iFi NEO is great.

1 Like

I’m not sure about this as there is a also a limit the upsampling algorithm can handle it. Does anybody tried to upsample a track to DSD 1024 using HQPlayer for example?

1 Like

It’s unlikely you will find one but would be interesting if this is something that appeared in a spec sheet of a DSD 1024 device (which by the way, giving the number of those devices on the market, could probably be counted with fingers) :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like