Duplicate Tracks 3.5

Hello Odelay,
Have you tried what i wrote up there for doubles… i play everyday with my database adding new downloads, music is playing at the same time, no worries, no doubles, JRiver can be open also for editing what is more troubleshoot for Audirvana tags sometime… the changes i do in one soft also changes in the other as tags are written on files…

So start fresh for 2020 :slight_smile:
i don’t use iTunes or streaming devices, so maybe that can brings doubles sometimes… but doing the recipe under here, will clear them for sure, it bring back you database as new…

Big text, but fast doing it…

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder… when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back in one shot. sadly to this day, the folders they were in if so, are not back, you have to do them again…

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon, Tidal or others… Install Audirvana alone with your database… if working, log to Roon or else after.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Delete your music folder(s) in your Audirvana preferences window with minus sign…

Close Audirvana.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not).

Restart MAC.

Open Audirvana, choose a library music folder and LET IT GO, even better don’t try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while it is not finished… you’ll see the progress bar going… Could be long the first time depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not… go to sleep if it is too long ! :slight_smile:Then when sync is finished, shut down Audirvana, yes, close it before playing a song… that way, you will have your database new from scratch saved without crashing or with doubles.

Then copy the .sqlite file to somewhere else from that folder…
Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
as a backup in a folder like dated as today, then open Audirvana.

Like that, if you enter a bug you can always close Audirvana, put the latest perfect backup .sqlite in the same folder, and restart mac, then Audirvana… you’ll be at that latest backup… if you have put something else there or edit songs in between, it will sync the new files, but you will only lose your play counts of those files played in between backups.

thanks once again RunHomeSlow. I realise these posts are being duplicated a little here on AS. As I tried to say, I have been following much of the advice I have read on this issue. Someone suggested it may be a NAS related issue. I have been having some issues with my Synology NAS (and my old Mac mini may be struggling with the library - which is only 28k of tracks).

It appears that these duplicate issues are pretty rare. But those suffering are naturally keen for a fix. So I appreciate Damien and co. looking into it - it’s much appreciated :pray:

1 Like

Hello @Odelay, can you send us a copy of your squlite database to this mail address : support@audirvana.com?

This is my second trial of Audirvana and must admit this time i will commit to purchasing . Simply put when it works it sounds pretty good especially with FLAC files . Heads above more feature rich platforms
However ,the duplicating of files is annoying , during this trial period its happened at least 3 times . While I worked on a fix you lose playlists and reading this thread , it seems adding files while the program is open has something to to do with this bug .
Great to be part of the Audirvana community ,

Welcome @harrystellus , I fully agree with you. As a music lover , sound comes first , cosmetic comes second …
I may say that I now have a very stable configuration and I’m using Audirvana every day with no problems since many years .
With time I guess we learn how to avoid its little bugs … for example I followed RunHomeSlow’s advice which are always very useful, I discovered that exporting then re-importing regular playlists didn’t work for me (?) so I replaced all my playlists with "smart " playlists . I can now export and re-import them with no pb anymore, just in case I need to rebuild the Audirvana data base again .

I think i have sorted my duplicates issue.

It was my NAS, not Audirvana that was responsible.

Someone from Damien’s team suggested it might be related to my Synology.

After chasing a number of red herrings, it was re-indexing my ‘music’ folder that seemed to fix it.

If you think you might have this issue:

1. Go to Control Panel > Indexing Service > Media Indexing
  2. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/application_mediaindexservice_general

Thanks to those there who offered suggestions - and to the smart cookie from Audirvana. Now I can sit back and enjoy the good sound. Thank you Damien and co. :pray:

3 Likes

Hi @Damien

I am a big supporter auf Audirvana. I use it on macOS and Windows, I also use the iOS remotes. I love the look, the sound, the concept, everything. But the issue with the duplicates (meanwhile I have lots of songs 4 times and more) bug is really starting to kill the joy in listening to music with Audirvana for me. Also, I did not hear back from you in our email thread about the issue.

All I’d like to ask for now is whether or not you guys are actually working on this and are trying to fix it. Because if not (for whatever reason) I will sadly have to find an alternative to Audirvana, I guess.

Many thanks for your reply and all the best!

Amadeus

Seemingly endless quirks, eg. duplicates, make Audirvana
a buggy mess. iTunes mode works well most of the time, despite mysterious periodic glitches with Audirvana. I meticulously maintain my library and metadata. Developer will blame the end user.

fwiw, the duplicate tracks issue I was seeing doesn’t seem to manifest on my main Windows machine. In both cases it was occurring, it was because I had multiple catalogs stored on different network drives. Having one true source of music files seems to eliminate this problem.

@sump welcome to the forum. I think you’ll find Audirvana quite reliable once you understand it. Granted, with the great variety of machine configurations, audio interfaces and storage systems, there are a lot of variables at work. If you’re having an issue, describing the problem usually will get you a reasonable answer.

Same problem here. Deleting and reloading the database (in Audirvana Application Support file) does the trick. Also realise that stopping an album playback doesn’t remove the tracks of the album from the current playlist. So if you stop playback before the end of the album, and then later choose the album again for listening, A+ load a new set of tracks on the same list, doubling each track. It is as if the Stop button act as a Pause button. My two cents !

Hello @gauthp, are you talking about the Remote App?

No, on the desktop app. I’ve been noticing this for the last couple of months or so.

Can you check the integrity of your database using the check button in Audirvana settings under Maintenance?

If the integrity is ok can you make a video of the issue you have?

I am experiencing the same thing. I guess there is a problem with hashing of the files in the database which causes the dups.

Hello @sincang, have you run the Maintenance checks i sent above your post?

I’ve been experiencing this problem since moving to 3.5.32. Duplicates used to be an issue in 2 but this was resolved. I’m using a very simple setup. A Mac mini running 10.11.6 with an external hard drive running over USB. Nothing crazy.
And still these very annoying duplicate tracks!

• I can’t erase the duplicates as the delete track option is greyed out.
  • I’ve tried removing the albums and returning them. Situation gets WORSE not better.
  • I’ve removed albums with three duplicates tracks, closed down Audivarna, returned them while its closed and reopen… with FIVE duplicate tracks.
    Damien3… this is a fundamental problem. Are you working toward a fix???

Damien, I think that this information might be useful. I’ve been having the same difficulty. Duplicates showing up in my library.

Background – I keep my music database on two 1TB Samsung SSDs and haven’t used iTunes integrated mode since version 3.0. My amp was in for repair in January, and I took this opportunity to clean up my music files. There were not many partials or duplicate albums on the SSDs. I cleaned up the multi-disc albums by putting the individual CD rips in subfolders labeled Disc 1, Disc 2, etc. This worked well Many of the tracks that predated Audirvana were downloaded from iTunes. I took the opportunity to convert these .m4a files to uncompressed formats using dbpoweramp rather than iTunes.

Anyway, the amp came back but my ancient MBP’s HD died soon after. I ended up replacing it with a new MAC mini, DLing a fresh copy of Audirvana, attaching my SSDs, and going from there. Duplicate copies of my albums were soon showing up in the Audirvana library. Anyway, I didn’t see a need to follow RunHomeSlow’s advice on cleaning the User Account Home Folder, because new computer – fresh DL, but I did start removing my libraries before shutting down Audirvana.

All this is prelude to what I observed last night. Before shutting down my computer, I performed the recommended database maintenance. There were no issues, the three steps took under a minute, so I continued by removing the 2 SSDs from the Audirvana library before closing the program.

I then attempted to shut down my MAC mini, Apple appeared on the screen asking if I really wanted to shut down because it was busy uploading my music library to their cloud. Could the iCloud was the source of the duplicates. This may mean the dups are more ghosts from the iCloud than duplicates on my SSDs. (Many of my ghosts are CD rips rather than iTunes DL) I Hope this long description helps.

Just to clarify, from my end there is no iCloud connection and the issue persists.

IF you are running Audirvana using MacOS, Apple my not give you a choice.

Jurgen, I’m running Audirvana on a very similar system. New MAC ,Mini MacOS 10.15.3 (Catalina, external SSD hard drives.

I think the Cloud copies are the ones with the greyed-out tracks. I am also seeing this proliferation.

Many of the multi-CD albums I have ripped, were displaying as multi-CD albums, separate albums (one for CD1, CD2, CD3, etc. I’ve re-ripped many of these fragmented albums and placed the indiviual CD contents in a separate sub-file (Disc 1, Disc 2, etc. The reripped albums display correctly, but the fragmented albums also display without a copy in my hard drive. The Cloud, again

In addition, even when the CD libraries have have been ejected from Audirvana, detached from the Mini, and the mini rebooted some of the albums appear in Audirvana when opened. The Cloud copies, again

I suggest that you try that last thing to see if you observe the same behavior.