Duplicate Tracks 3.5

This is quite an annoyance, its a bug that should have been resolved by now.

I have pinpointed that the problem only happens for me when I add new albums to my library, I ALWAYS make sure of the following before adding new music:

1. stop Audirvana playback
  2. remove any tracks from the play queue
  3. quit Audirvana

I then open iTunes and add my music there (I like to keep both iTunes and Audirvana in sync even though I use Audirvana exclusively for playback)

When re-starting Audirvana new music is synced as expected (set to scan on launch), but I still find that some tracks in my library are duplicated, it seems to always be tracks or albums that have been played within the last 24 hours.

My solution to this was to make a backup of a ‘good’ database file, when I then get duplicate tracks I just replace the database with the backup, new music is synced, no duplicates and all of my smart playlists are present.

If it is relevant, my library is stored on an external thunderbolt hard drive as opposed to the iMac’s internal drive.

Made a new library. I’ve been careful to not add new music while Audirvana is running. Yet, new doubles surprise me every day!

I think I may be on to something…

Yesterday I added a new album in my usual method:

1. quit Audirvana
  2. add album to iTunes
  3. restart Audirvana which then syncs new album

Result was three albums I had played in the previous 24 hours now had full list of duplicated tracks.

Replace database file with backup = duplicates removed.

So, this morning I added another new album but slightly differently:

1. quit Audirvana
  2. add new album manually into the watched folder
  3. restart Audirvana

This time there were NO duplicates.

Does this mean that the problem stems from adding music into iTunes first?

I will add a few more albums this way soon to see what happens.

I can’t comment on the iTunes aspect, as I haven’t used Audirvana with iTunes in years. I can however confirm that I hadn’t seen any duplicate titles until the one day recently when I forgot to quit Audirvana before adding files to my watched folder, then BOOM! – the last two albums I had played were suddenly doubled up. I’ve gotten into the habit of taking backups of my database file, so it wasn’t a big deal to fix. This bug really should’ve been addressed by now though.

I reported this issue back in July and received no response.

Further to my earlier post, I have now started to add music directly into my watched folder (only when Audirvana is not running) instead of adding them into iTunes first.

It does appear that my initial thoughts that iTunes might be the culprit were wrong as I have still been getting duplicate tracks/albums after adding new music. Again it always seems to be albums that have been played within the last 24 hours that get duplicated.

My next thought is that I have a smart playlist set up to list everything that has been played or added within the past 7 days - I am wondering if this has anything to do with the problem, I may delete that smart playlist and see what happens with duplicates.

So… with respect to workarounds and all that… what good is a watch folder, if you can’t just have it watch what’s in it and show those files? I have loads of duplicates now, and have no idea how to go get rid of them all. This is insanity in my opinion. I just created a library from scratch, and re-created all my playlists and so on… now I’ve go to go do all this shit again? Unacceptable. I’m actually so pissed off right now I don’t know what to do with myself. Audirvana used to be THE SHIT when it comes to audio software… now, I’m starting to waver. I’m still a huge fan, as most of the other software options are complete garbage, but there are some things that must get fixed here. Really disappointed right now, and hugely frustrated. Duplicates are a pain in the ass.

1 Like

Hello @giantporpoise, can you send us your database to our support mail address please? support@audirvana.com

How to find it in the Finder:

1. Open its Go menu
  2. Pressing the option (or alt) key, and maintain it pressed. This reveals the Library command in this Go menu.
  3. Click on this Library command
  4. In the Finder window that opens, navigate into Application Support, then Audirvana
  5. You’ll find there the file AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

Hey brother… sorry about the angry venting.
I actually removed all my watch folders… rebooted A and there were still hundreds of tracks.
So I went to the upper left, selected “Library”, and then “Tracks”, and then deleted everything left over. After, I closed Audirvana, rebooted it, and then re-added my watch folders.
Not sure what causes duplicate tracks, but this software used to be super awesome at just watching the watch folders, updating instantly, and only showing what’s in the folders.

Is it true that we need to ONLY manipulate any data in the watch folders when Aud is closed?
If that is so, I can just start operating this way… a pain, but oh well I’ll do it.

If I am missing something about how duplicates are likely created, please let me know so I can work with best practices.

In the meantime, I am emailing you my current database… in case it’s helpful in any way.

-Scot

I never close Audirvana when editing tracks… i never delete tracks in Audirvana also :slight_smile:

Hello Scott, have you send me your database already?

Damien,

Sent you an email with a link to the file on Dropbox.
It was 3.5 GB and too large to send in any of my email accounts.
Should be fully uploaded within the hour.

-Scot

1 Like

I too have been experiencing this issue since I’ve started using Audirvana over the past year or so.
Sadly, I have to rebuild my library constantly since I can’t keep up with all of the duplicates.
I am using the app less and less due to this issue. The sound quality on Plex isn’t very good but at least I never have to rebuild the library due to duplicates. I frequently just listen directly from the Qnap file system since it doesn’t cripple the sound quality to the extent that Plex does. Audirvana sounds superior to my other options but I pay for the quality with my time and frustration.

I’m running MacOS Mojave although it was happening with the previous OS as well. All 800GB (roughly) of FLAC and Apple Lossless files are on a Qnap TS873 NAS and there are no duplicates. I am allergic to iTunes and won’t allow anything to load to iTunes or remain in iTunes so I know it isn’t loading duplicates that way. The only use iTunes sees is ripping my CD’s to lossless and then everything is transferred to the NAS and deleted from the Mac. There are ZERO music files anywhere other than on the Qnap. The only folder I let Audirvana scan is the music folder on the Qnap. Only at this point do I start Audirvana and allow a sync.

I have never loaded files to the NAS while Audirvana was open nor have I synced the Audirvana library while music is running yet I still constantly get duplicates randomly on music I’ve listened to over the past few weeks. Doing research on this issue, it appears to have been a complaint for an unreasonably long time dating back for what appears to be at least 4 years. Is there a solution in the works or is it time to abandon the program altogether? Frankly, I’m to the end of my patience with this issue.

Hello,

Try this to start new.

Big text, but fast doing it…

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder… when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back in one shot. sadly to this day, the folders they were in if so, are not back, you have to do them again…

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon, Tidal or others… Install Audirvana alone with your database… if working, log to Roon or else after.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Delete your music folder(s) in your Audirvana preferences window with minus sign…

Close Audirvana.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not).

Restart MAC.

Open Audirvana, choose a library music folder and LET IT GO, even better don’t try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while it is not finished… you’ll see the progress bar going… Could be long the first time depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not… go to sleep if it is too long ! :slight_smile:Then when sync is finished, shut down Audirvana, yes, close it before playing a song… that way, you will have your database new from scratch saved without crashing or with doubles.

Then copy the .sqlite file to somewhere else from that folder…
Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
as a backup in a folder like dated as today, then open Audirvana.

Like that, if you enter a bug you can always close Audirvana, put the latest perfect backup .sqlite in the same folder, and restart mac, then Audirvana… you’ll be at that latest backup… if you have put something else there or edit songs in between, it will sync the new files, but you will only lose your play counts of those files played in between backups.

I am also having this problem. Just started about a week ago. I use iTunes on a Mac Book Pro and all files are in iTunes. Any new CD’s added show up just once in iTunes but are doubled in Audirvana. Kind of annoying and no way that I can find to remove the duplicated tracks in Audirvana. Suggestions?

Get rid of iTunes it is useless :rofl:

Hard to get rid of iTunes if you want to listen to your music on your iPhone and take it with you and this is an Audirvana problem, not an iTunes problem…I tried a few of the above suggestions and now Audirvana has just duplicated ALL of my albums (in the Library Album view). Ugh! I dumped Amara and went to Audirvana because it had fewer problems but now it’s letting me down. It would be great if someone from the company could contact me and solve this issue. Clearly it’s a real problem to lots of customers.

Okay AUDIOSURGE, I followed your advice. Duplicates are gone! But, as noted playlists are gone (tolerable but not ideal) and all albums from iTunes where I had inserted album art/covers myself no longer have the art/covers. Any ideas how to make Audirvana import the album art and also the playlists from iTunes?

Yes, playlists are in your .sqlite file database… not the best.

best things is to export them somewhere on your mac in a folder just in case you have another bug… Export your playlists in a folder and go to audirvana menu bar and select import playlists… click the first then the last with shift key and voilà.

for the cover you can add a cover.jpg image in all your CD folder Audirvana will see that… best way again is to embedded them in Audirvana :slight_smile: