Either playback is not bit-perfect or the information displayed is wrong

The current version of Audirvana runs on a Windows 10 Surface Go computer connected via USB to a DAC. The DAC comprises an XMOS device for the USB connection, so “XMOS Audio” is shown as the audio device.

The most important thing for me is that playback remains bit-perfect! However, playback sounds great but either the data is transmitted not bit-perfectly or the information that Audirvana displays is wrong or both.

Examples:

Every two-channel 24 / 352.8 kHz FLAC goes as just 16 / 352.8 kHz per channel.
Every two-channel 24 / 96 kHz FLAC goes as just 16 / 96 kHz per channel.
Every two-channel 24 / 48 kHz FLAC goes as just 16 / 48 kHz per channel.
Every two-channel 24 / 44.1 kHz FLAC goes as just 16 / 44.1 kHz per channel.
Every two-channel 24 / 176.4 kHz FLAC goes as just 16 / 176.4 kHz per channel:

Only if the input is 16 bit per channel only, playback seems to be bit-perfect. Every two-channel 16 / 44.1 kHz FLAC goes unchanged.

Your comment would be highly appreciated, thank you!

Martin

Your pictures shows that your dac is 32 bits capable, thats is it, mine is exactly like you… it is always the dac output on the right, will always be 32 then the format of the file you play after… 44, 88, 96, 176, 192… mine stop at 384

Thank you for your replay, RunHomeSlow!

So I might have had a misunderstanding. On the bottom right of Audirvana x / y kHz (like 32 / 96 kHz) does it mean
either x bits total - hence in stereo x/2 bits per channel -
or x bits per channel - hence zeros would be added eventually up to 32 bits per channel -
?

Thanks, Martin

The left field is the file entering… The right field is the file going out…
Since your DAC or mine are 32bits it will always show 32 bits there on the right.
If you have an older DAC at 24/96 maximum, the right side will always be
24/xx even if playing a 16/44.

The file enter at 16/44 and is out at 32/44, not change.
you can see that your Audirvana is not working at all playing those files in Monitor…

If you upsample that is different, not bit perfect, and you will see Audirvana
working much more in window.

43%20AM

yes zeros are maybe added to the file up to 32bits, but not even sure the file is touch…
it is just a number there showing your DAC bit depth :slight_smile:
Damien might better answer this :slight_smile:

Thank you, I got it!