Every album starts with a short mute

Hi all,

I am a really happy Audirvana user (Windows Audio PC > Artistic Fidelity (Acousence) DAC)
But there is one problem:
If I start the playback from scratch, I miss always the first seconds of the first song. That happens also if I choose another album afterwards with different sample rate.

My DAC needs about 4 seconds to lock on the new sample rate. Thats clear.
There is a feature (Latency for sample rate change) that should help me - but it doesn’t.
I have no idea what to do about it…

Best Regards
Sebabe

Hello @sebabe,

Can you send me a copy of the “Debug Info” while you have the issue? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>General>Debug Info

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info button, Audirvana automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message

Hi, yes. here it is:
BTW: There is an option “limit to24bits” mentioned in the file. But I can not find where I could adjust that in the SW UI. My DAC can just support 24 bits. I wonder always that Audirvana shows me 32bit resolution while playback. It this something to worry? (Wrong dither settings?)
Regards
Sebastian

Audirvana 3.5.43

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: ON
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
SoX not in use
SoX filter parameters
Bandwidth at 0dB = 99.5
Filter max length = 30000
Anti-aliasing = 100
Phase = 28

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: None
SW volume control: ON

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 1 folders
AUTO: D:\Musik
Library database path: C:\Users\arfi\AppData\Local\Audirvana\AudirvanaPlus\AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES
Qobuz: Connected as Qobuz Hi-Fi Sublime+

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

Max. memory for audio buffers: 5510MB

Local Audio Engine:ASIO 2 driver version 802

Preferred device:
XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023
Model UID:XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023
UID:XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023

Active Sample Rate: 44.1kHz

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: 192kHz
Sample rate switching latency: 5s
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:
Local audio device
XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023 Manufacturer:
Model UID:XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023 UID:XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023

8 available sample rates up to 384000Hz
Volume Control
Physical: No
Virtual: No
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: Yes
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: Unhandled
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:0 R:1
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 44.1kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 48kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 88.2kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 96kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 176.4kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 192kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 352.8kHz
2 ch Integer PCM 32bit little endian 384kHz

Local devices found : 1
Device #0: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023 Manufacturer: Model UID: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023 UID: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST 2023

UPnP devices found : 0

Hello @sebabe,

You can change this settings in the audio output settings of Audirvana

Hi, interesting - I do not have that option. Neither on my Windows or my Mac Version.
Any Idea for the latency issue?
Regards
Sebastian

Hello @sebabe,

You don’t have the option because the ASIO driver of your DAC only support 32 bit. As you said previously, your DAC is only 24 bit then you should contact the manufacturer of your DAC to ask them why in ASIO you can’t use it in 24 bit.

Hi, I think that’s not the way how it should work. Isn’t any ASIO driver working in 32bit - but it can be very likely that the DAC has just 24 bit? How should the software know that? Especially if the SW volume control is used - it is very important to dither to 24bit properly. But it needs to be selectable for the user.

But my main problem is still the lag of the first seconds. It works perfectly fine if I use J River - but not at all in Audirvana. Do not understand that. I have the feeling that there is something not right in Audirvana.

The sample rate you see in Audirvana are announced by the driver itself, that being said, it’s the manufacturer that determine the capacity if the driver and not Audirvana, all of what we do is looking at the frequency available, if 24 bit is available in the driver capacity, Audirvana will automatically display it.

In Jriver, have you set any latency setting for ASIO?

Hi, thanks for the answer. I had a chat with my manufacturer and he does not agree. His DAC can support just 24bit - but the ASIO protocol is always 32 bit. He says that there are many 24 bit DACs out there with ASIO driver.
So do you now any DAC that works with ASIO driver and offers 24 bit in your SW?
I tested just with my ADI 2 pro FS and it is the same here - always 32 bit. But here it could be that this device is really working internally with 32 bit always. Therefore it is no proof to be right.

But my main problem is the start of playback. In River it seems to work also without the extra latency. But I need to test that longer. I was told that I need to just 4s, cause the PLL needs around that time to sync.

I tested intensively, comparing JRiver and Audirvana. With JRiver it works always in any samplerate change if I adjust 5s time to sync for the hardware. If I press start on a track, it needs a while until my hardware indicates the new samplerate, then the music starts.
In Audirvana it looks a bit like there is something wrong.
If I press start, it takes also a while until my hardware indicates the new samplerate (there is a LED, showing the rate) but then the sync gets lost again (LED off) and then the music starts with a delay.
Looks like:

1. After the start, there is the right delay for the sync.
  2. Just before the music starts the sync gets corrupted, but the music starts from audirvana
  3. The sync is there again, but the music startet earlier already, so I hear it without the beginning…

Interesting detail: In the moment where the sync gets lost, something happens also in the GUI, looks like a refresh or something like that. It looks like a dependency that should not happen…

There can be ASIO with 24 bit option in the driver but in your case this is not true as the driver indicates it is only 32 bit supported.

Thanks Damien3. Ok maybe you are right, I will discuss that again with my manufacturer. But my main problem is really the startup sync latency. Here, cause the problem appears only with Audirvana, seems to be really something wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.