Folder view storage tree on disk

Hello @dsjackso1,

For this feature request, feel free to vote here so we can prioritize this feature for future update of Audirvana:

1 Like

For me, it’s a completely wrong concept.
Such request by itself shows that Audirvana is missing a proper interface for sorting; but solving it by implementing the view of actual disk structure would be a huge step backwards and would ultimately not solve anything.
It is actually a real shame that instead of having a proper sorting in the app, now user work-arounds will be the new revolutionary feature. Maybe it’s time for back to cli.

@ron_13: Why wouldn’t you give people that option if they want to? You don’t have to use it.

In my opinion your comment about sorting and being able to see the folder structure are 2 different things. Better sorting and a folder structure can happily exist both.

I have the music on my NAS ordered in a particular order and for me it would be very convenient if I can see that structure in Audirvana too. It just gives more possibilities and freedom for the user. I can imagine that other people would find this usefull too.

Also, at the moment Audirvana depends heavily on proper tagging. If files are not properly tagged all bets are off in album view and artist view. The track view is not much help either if you have 50000+ tracks as I have. A folder view would be much more practical in this case.

2 Likes

Quite simple, actually. IF you are not able to achieve that what you are going to achieve with folder view with the sorting, then it is a poorly implemented sorting.
SO you are not going to get proper sorting, ever. Then what exactly is that you are going to pay money for, is it some snake oil statements?

You obviously did not read the rest of my answer. You also seem to have a quite negative opinion about things which I do not share. There seems no further basis for a discussion with you. Have a nice day.

1 Like

+1 Essential. But so much more than a folder tree needed. Please see this thread in Software user interface feedback:

I’ll throw a vote in here as well.

This would also be an opportunity to do smart things with contents based on metadata. E.g., “Keep files organized by Artist / Album / Year, …”. Give the user some options on how Audirvana keeps files organized. Edit: also, track naming. E.g., “Track# - Trackname”.

As it is currently, this part of the file storage equation is the responsibility of the user. Users shouldn’t have to deal with file systems in my opinion, but should have tools that are smart enough to do it for them.

1 Like

I definitely would love this feature. Makes it so much easier to be able to browse by folders

1 Like

+1 for folder view and management of Audirvana library

1 Like

+1 for folder view and management of Audirvana library

I m agree too +1 for folder view

I misread, I thought I was on the Roon Forum !

Am I missing something. I always thought that library software was designed to add a level of abstraction so as to make where the file actually resides almost irrelevant.

I started my digital journey by having to navigate a USB drive attached directly to my streamer . It was a major pain. For example how do you classify multiple composer albums and multi artist albums, a big Various Folder ?

Alas just my opinion, long live abstraction :smiling_imp:

Like everything else, it’s about choice. Some people want to browse by folder, others want to leverage the file tags. I’ve since gone the route of carefully setting tags since folder view never came to pass, so on some level I don’t “need” this feature, but it would be nice for others to have it if they need it.

Roon is better at handling metadata than Audirvana. For Roon abstraction makes sense (also the Roon staff has a very strong attitude about what is ‘best for you’).
On the Roon forum there was (is??) a discussion about it but the Roon staff has made it very clear that ‘folder browsing’ is against their philosophy how data is presented in the ‘Roon experience’.

Audirvana is also completely dependent on metadata (but does not have a dedicated staff to curate the data as Roon does). In a lot of cases albums/artists can not be found because the metadata is incorrect (and Audirvana can not show it correctly). In that case a treeview can be very convenient as an extra tool to find the files one wants to play. Also a lot of users have arranged their music libraries in a way that they find convenient to browse through.

No metadata is perfect and since Audirvana can not handle it as well as Roon, why not give users a choice? If you want abstraction… have it. If you want to browse through the folder structure… have it.

In your opinion it seems that you can not have both, but why not? You do not need it, other people do. It won’t hurt you in any way if added (simply do not use it), but it will be a huge benefit for others.

It even could be a nice way for Audirvana to distinguish itself from Roon.

Guys it is not in new version but maybe it will someday but it is not now :slight_smile:
I changed my setup again to show an exemple of what you can do till it happen or never…
this is simple solution … not the best but you can see your file location like you want…

You have to create smart playlists. My setup of my hard drive is A to Z
yours might be different, it doesn’t change the way it works,
you just have to put your name in the path…

Yours maybe is: External Hard Drive… Flac… Classical folder, jazz folder, hires folder
it doesn’t matter, just replace my letter A by classical folder, B by Jazz folder…

Then, follow pictures…

While this is a good work around, it still is not enough for ease of use.
I really think that this is the only feature missing in Audirvana a file explorer where I can choose folders on the left and see the songs in a folder on the right.

I really hope this will become a high priority.
I am on the trial version and a Jriver MC user. If this is altleast there in the road map, I will subscribe

Hello everyone, I can give you a hint about it.

This feature has been addressed and we understand the need of our users to get his possibility. What I can tell you is that the development of this feature is in progress but I can’t give you a date on when it will be available for you :wink: :man_technologist:

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

We have a preview version of this feature available, if you are interested by trying it, feel free to send me a direct message so I can give you a link to download it :wink:

2 Likes

Can I get a link please?

Are you currently using Audirvāna Studio ? It’s in the current release