Force STEREO option?

Hi Damien,

I’m trying the demo version of Audirvana (3570) on a MacBook-pro with the latest version of Catalina (10.15.7), and the Mac is connected using a USB-C to HDMI câble to an ARCAM AVR-750 receiver.

I have no problem playing multichannel audio tracks. The receiver usually gets PCM 7.1 176.4 or 192KHz.

However, when I’m playing a stereo track, no matter what I do, Audirvana doesn’t switch the output to PCM 2.0, and always uses PCM 7.1

–> This is a problem for me as the ARCAM receiver has many STEREO features that I cannot activate, as the receiver is receiving multichannel audio.

I tried to activate the FORCE STEREO switch in Audirvana output configuration but that didn’t work. (Even after a restart of Audirvana or a Mac reboot).

I tried to run macOS MIDI setup, select a 2-channel mode, reboot the Mac… etc… but as soon as I play a track from Audirvana, I can see the MIDI config switching to 8 channel 176.4 KHz again.

Compared to the same tracks played from my Oppo BDP-95 Universal Blu-ray player:

• When playing a multichannel track, the receiver gets PCM 5.1
  • When playing a stereo track, the receiver gets PCM 2.0

Could you please advise ? I would like Audirvana to behave the same as the blu-ray player, and output multichannel for multichannel tracks, and PCM 2.0 for stereo tracks.

Is this possible ?

Thanks,

stipus

1 Like

Have you tried to connect using USB directly?

Thank you for your answer.

No I didn’t try to connect the Mac to the USB input on the ARCAM AVR.
From the ARCAM documentation, the USB input supports:

• USB storage devices (USB sticks or hard drives)
  • iPod / iPhones

I just tried to connect an iPhone with a lightning to USB-A cable, and it worked. From this I think the DAC might be available from this port… but I’m not sure as it might be an apple-only feature.

I need to find a USB-C to USB-A (male) cable to test, and this doesn’t seem to be common… I can only find USB-C to USB-A (female). From this fact, I doubt this configuration is supported…

Also, I know the ARCAM AVR 750 DAC has limited features when connected using other ports than HDMI (USB storage, Ethernet DNLA).

stipus

I see now that it doesn’t have USB Type B input. You should go for a USB to SPDIF/Toslink bridge solution.

Yes, I just double-checked, and came to the same conclusion. The Arcam USB input doesn’t behave as a USB-DAC.

I understand your solution using a USB to SPDIF/Toslink bridge. However, before I fix the problem using more hardware, I would like to know if the problem comes from a limitation of macOS or Audirvana, and couldn’t be software-fixed.

Why the Audirvana force stereo option doesn’t work and doesn’t switch the HDMI output to PCM 2.0 ? Is this a software bug, a macOS limitation, or maybe I didn’t fully understand what this option is for ?

Maybe it does but the receiver assumes that everything coming through HDMI is multichannel.

I don’t think so…if I connect an Oppo Blu-ray player to the same HDMI port on the receiver:

• When playing a multichannel track, the receiver gets PCM 5.1
  • When playing a stereo track, the receiver gets PCM 2.0

I think Audirvana doesn’t switch the configuration to PCM 2.0 when playing a stereo track through a multichannel-capable HDMI port, and it might be a software bug.

Hello @stipus,

While you are connected with HDMI to your Arcam, can you send me a copy of the “Debug Info”? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>General>Debug Info

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info button, Audirvana automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.