Formal user poll? And list of suggestions

Dear Audirvana,
There seems to be many suggestions on this list, with no mechanism that I can find to up-vote or to gauge overall user interest. So, my first suggestion:

1. Create polls about what features to implement next. There are so many suggestions here, I don’t know which you are taking seriously… And, consequently, there are many repeat suggestions. I think our life (and yours!) would be easier if what you see as reasonable next steps could be voted on, so we don’t repeatedly post the same things, and you need to read the same things.

The rest of the suggestions concerns the UI. I’m sure they’ve been mentioned before, but with no mechanism for accruing support, I might as well list them again. (This is the UI on Mac, latest version of everything).

1. From Album view, I can click on an album to get the track listing. However, when I click the back button, the view reset to the top of the album view, not to where I left off. So I have to scroll down again. Since Audirvana is not the zippiest, and doesn’t allow skipping using the keyboard, this is a pain. The location should be retained. (I could have sworn this used to be the case, but it isn’t anymore).

1a. Whenever I re-open Audirvana, the “Add filter” pane open up. I then need to shut it. The previous window state should be retained.

1b. The columns on the track view within the album view (i.e., after clicking on an album within album view) are not retained. They should be retained.

1. BIGGEST issue: No on the fly sorting, particularly within search results. I hate to be that guy, but this seems like a very basic function nowadays, in almost every program that allows sorting (music or otherwise). For anyone with large libraries, sorting is a must. I understand that this would not work equally for streaming services, but it is a must for local files.

3a. Along the same lines, the filter option should be dynamic (like the “search” function in iTunes), and should filter the currently displayed view.

1. Include a “report bug” option directly in the GUI. (Right now, I’m having extremely frequent crashes, and it seems like there should be a more direct reporting tool for such things than through the community threads. And it is not clear where crash reports should be submitted.

All that said, I should say that I like Audirvana and will keep using it, mostly because of the remote functions. But I do slightly regret paying almost $100 for a software I often find frustrating to find music in.

Regards.

1 Like

Audirvana is not the easiest software to use. It is not intuitive. But, in my experience, the issues usually originate from Tidal or other streamers; Apple “WINDOWS 95” latest updates; and Audirvana coders being quite slow and a bit inept at date matching updates to Apple and Tidal. I would like to add that in Apple and TIdal, you have two of the worst software platforms in existence in their respective categories. My three children are software engineers, each with many years highly technical experience, and their opinions on Apple and Tidal closely parallel my own. Audirvana is getting better. I have very few problems with it as of today - 10/20/2020 - and yesterday, I could not say that, so there ya go Audirvana coders - good work!

My post was not an attack on Audirvana. This is a feedback forum, so I provided feedback on the features that I would most like, some of which seem ‘essential’ to me. If your feedback is “everything is fine,” I’m happy for you. See my first suggestion: if there was a systematic way to poll users, the designers would know which sentiment is more representative of users.

No sensible company would allow itself to be steered by popular demand.

They should listen to the user base but they need to be free to take strategic decision and manage their roadmap planning according to that. The customers can vote with their money.

It’s fairly easy for anyone spending some time in the community to have a grasp of what are the most commonly requested features and complaints.

Wow. Holy Tread hijacking. How is this feedback forum not an appropriate forum for feedback? Instead, it seems like it is a criticize-people’s-feedback forum. Yikes.

Didn’t say anything like that. My point was related to the official poll for steering which features need to be implemented first/later/at all.

Fair enough. I take you point.

FWIW, 1) in my experience, getting an intuitive grasp of a large set of non-systematic data is not very reliable and is likely to be swayed by already-held ideas. Perhaps polls are the wrong way to go, but a more systematic view of the feedback would be useful… 2) for me, not necessarily for the company. From my jumping around the forums a bit, it seems that there is a lot of repetition. This seems like wasted effort. I’ll use myself as an example: if I see that no one else has my concerns, I might not bring them up. If I see that they do, I might just up-vote. Saves me time. As for the company, now someone needs to read my long post, then read yours, then consider how they relate to others, etc.

That’s true, there is a lot of repetition. Guess it’s the human nature as it’s easier to create a new post compared to sifting through the community searching for the similar issue.

If you see that somebody has the same issue as you, you should definitely chime in. It’s like upvoting.

Hello @zsteir,

Thank you for your post and suggestion about how we can improve Audirvana.

First of all I must say that we have a section to report feature request with a system to vote for the feature that you would like to see in Audirvana : User Voice - Audirvana

It’s not a poll but the possibility to vote for the feature you would like is still a good start for us to determine what we need to focus on.

You are right to say that some of the request repeat them a bit and would need moderation and we will do it as soon as it will be possible.

Concerning the UI of Audirvana, I understand you point about the reset of the view while you press back, it has been requested by many users and we are working on it.

The filter panel is not open by default, once you open it, it will stay open until you close it, does it open every time you start Audirvana?

When you are talking about the column, are you talking about the size of the column or the number of column you have displayed?

The search of Audirvana is basic but we had a LOT of request to make it smarter and this is what we want it to be as we are working on it. You can sort your library and filter but It’s not as convenient as I can be and we also work on this.

There is room for improvement for us about crash report but we want our user to first go to this community forum as we are not 10 peoples to handle all of support concerns but there will always be someone looking at the forum during business time as we want to make support of customer friction-less (ie not using support ticket)

Thanks for your quick response, Damian.

The filter panel is not open by default, once you open it, it will stay open until you close it, does it open every time you start Audirvana?

Yes, it re-opened every time. Because of the concomitant crashes, I reinstalled the whole thing, and it is no longer doing that. I will send the crash reports, perhaps that will give you some clue.

When you are talking about the column, are you talking about the size of the column or the number of column you have displayed?

I was talking about the headings (i.e., composer vs. artist, etc.). Again, after a re-install, the selection is retained. I do have the pre-reinstall files. If the crash report warrant further investigation, I can reinstall them and see if they are sufficient to reproduce the problem.

Thanks for all the rest. Much appreciated. I will forward the crash reports to the support address.
Thanks.

You forgot the biggest UI functionality improvement of all!

Audirvana absolutely needs an “alphabetical” sorting capability that sits at the side of the screen for quickly jumping down the list of artist, songs, tracks, etc.

I would not object that the functionality either :wink: I think it is a close kin to live filtering, with the latter being a bit more general.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.