Functional problems of AS / AO

Thank you @Jacob: I’m more an optical type. By seeing a cover it’s easier for me to find my music.

1 Like

I get what you mean.

Not every change is an improvement. Sometimes it takes a few iterations to get it right.

Dear Antoine,

I must confess I very strongly disagree with your statement.
What does not make sense when searching music on a criterion as “composer” is to have the result of the search show things that do not satisfy the criterion.

o99 is absolutely right when complaining about “non Debussy” tracks appearing when an album is opened that may contain just one track composed by Debussy.
That, and that alone does not make sense at all.

An equivalent search in iTunes or Music, for example, displays albums that can be opened to display only the tracks relevant to the criterion within the albums.
Audirvana in that respect seeks to reinvent the wheel, and a square one it is…

I doubled checked on 3.5 after his last post about this and it’s filtering in the album in 3.5. This is why I said I will talk about it with Damien since Studio behave different than 3.5.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you for your clarification, I clearly misunderstood your previous comment

I did it as you proposed: much easier if you want to choose only 1 parameter. In my playlist I integrated more than 1 parameter. Then your solution doesn’t work and you have to do it my way.

Interestingly in Filters of the panel below “Artist” and “Album Artist” exist, although “Album Artist” does not exist as ID3 tag in the Info panel of a track.
In the upper panel you only have Album-Artist (German Version). That’s inconsistent.

I’d also recommend you re-prioritise this - surely it’s a simple ‘do or don’t on launch’ option with a ‘restart next time’ if not complete when the app is terminated?

My major concern is that for me (and I suspect many), AS runs on a computer which is often wireless with very slow NAS access compared to directly attached storage such that fingerprinting tracks on the NAS takes ages. It may be 1 Gbps networking theoretically (when on ethernet) but far less in practice or on wi-fi.

Please also consider that as SSDs replace hard drives as primary drives in computers capacity currently is very low compared to equivalent priced mechanical drives such that people need a conventional NAS or external drives to store media.

A NAS is fine for access and playback of audio files but not for extensive fingerprinting of hundreds of GB if not several TB of downloaded audio over the average consumer LAN assuming fingerprinting reads the whole file, especially when hi-res. It would make far more sense to ‘fingerprint on demand/playback’ than hogging LAN bandwidth when not necessary.

1 Like

New Problems

The sorting inside a playlist is not yet fully developed. If I sort in track view with album as sort criterion, it would be practical, that AS sorts the tracks in order of their track number (according to my choice: lowest first or highest first).
Parallely this should work for other criteria:
componist - album - tracknumber works
artist - album - tracknumber doesn’t work
Maybe there are others to check.

Example of 1 album:

In search results for Artist or Composer it’s not possible to choose between Album view and Track view. Also it’s not possible to choose all albums with Cmd-A.

The sorting issue you are talking about are with the playlist Klassik Klassik in your database?

That’s the case with any search result and it’s normal as we only display the Album of the artist or composer, you need to click on a album to see the tracks inside of it.

It’s also normal since you can’t select multiple albums in Studio.

Yes, but also in other playlists.

Yes, at the moment AS works like this. If for example I want to add all albums of a composer to a playlist, this feature is needed. Or should I open every album, choose all tracks, add them, then go back to the search result, open the the next album …? If I have 20 albums for 1 composer, this way is much too complicate and uses hours of work.

Yes, but it is needed: see answer above.

When you click on see all of the search of album, each album can be added to a playlist, you need to hover your mouse over an album and click on the three dot to do this.

Updated to AS 1.8.1

Solved :blush:

Not yet solved

• The OR functionality does not work correctly in the album view of smart playlists: Albums with several composers are not splitted in the tracks that are belonging to the searched criteria. Example: An album contains works of Mozart and Brahms. Only Brahms is searched, but in album view the tracks of Mozart are included as well in the playlist.
    The same problem occurs in album out of search results.
    With compilation albums AS shows all composers instead of only the searched one.

• AS doesn’t update album art, that has changed. See here: Updating the database doesn't work properly - #2 by o99

• Adding tracks / albums to a playlist: AS adds adds now tracks to a playlist if they do not exist already in that playlist. More sophisticated and helpful would be, if AS

1. detects, if any of the tracks, that should be added to the playlist already exist there

2. then shows a dialogue with the following possibilities: escape, add all, add only new tracks

3. then add the tracks according to the selection in the dialogue or do nothing (escape)

Why? Sometimes you need a playlist where every track exists only once. Sometimes you need a playlist where some tracks exist several times.

• The ID3 tags for “Album Artist” and “Is part of a compilation” miss in the info panel. Sometimes AS shows the album artist in the banner for the album, sometimes not. Unclear when.

Hi @Antoine,

Will this issue (not filtering albums by playlist track, when looking at a playlist in Album View) be fixed in the next release? Along with the ability to exclude AS-added metadata, this is the one issue that prevents me from upgrading from 3.5 to AS.

Merci,
Renaud

1 Like

Hi @Antoine,

Unfortunately this bug (showing non-playlist tracks when looking at an album in a playlist, in Album View) has not been fixed in 1.8.7. What is the ETA for the fix?

Merci,
Renaud

1 Like

This has not been fixed in 1.9.0 either.

Best,
Renaud

Updated to AS 1,9

Thank you for opting out from auto-completion of metadata :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you for making it possible to back up local Favorites and Playlists :slightly_smiling_face:

Fixed

Not yet fixed

• The OR functionality does not work correctly in the album view of smart playlists: Albums with several composers are not splitted in the tracks that are belonging to the searched criteria. Example: An album contains works of Mozart and Brahms. Only Brahms is searched, but in album view the tracks of Mozart are included as well in the playlist.
    The same problem occurs in album out of search results.
    With compilation albums AS shows all composers instead of only the searched one.
    This functionality existed in A 3.5.

• There are still inconsistencies in the sorting algorythm:
    Componist and artist are not yet properly separated. In my lokal library AS finds Jean Sibelius as artist, although he exists only as composer:
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-30 um 16.50.49

Opening the artist Jean Sibelius shows the same screen as opening the componist:

In search results, it doesn’t find all albums:

• Adding tracks / albums to a playlist: AS adds adds now tracks to a playlist if they do not exist already in that playlist. More sophisticated and helpful would be, if AS

1, detects, if any of the tracks, that should be added to the playlist already exist there

2, then shows a dialogue with the following possibilities: escape, add all, add only new tracks

3, then add the tracks according to the selection in the dialogue or do nothing (escape)

Why? Sometimes you need a playlist where every track exists only once. Sometimes you need a playlist where some tracks exist several times.

• Removing single tracks from a playlist: This option is grayed out in the 3 dot menu on the left of a track. With whole albums it works.

• The ID3 tags for “Album Artist” and “Is part of a compilation” miss in the info panel.

Updated to version 1.12

Fixed

• Removing single tracks from a playlist: This option is grayed out in the 3 dot menu on the left of a track. With whole albums it works.

Not yet fixed

• In search results for composers (Show all albums) opening compilation discs AS shows all tracks instead of only the tracks containing the searched composer.

• If albums contain the searched term in their name and have multiple composers, they show up twice in search results (Show all albums): Once with the searched composer and a 2nd time with the other composer because the not searched composer is in the name of the album.
    Solution: Search groups (Album, Track, Artist, Composer) should include only results, that contain the the searched term specific for this group (example: “Mozart” in the name of the album or of the track or of the artist or of the composer) and exclude all other.

• There are still inconsistencies in the sorting algorythm:
    Componist and artist are not yet properly separated: Opening the artist view, we can find artists and composers. I didn’t check in detail, but since AS 1.11, all composers now show up. Bevor there were some and some not.
    Solution: Please add a composer view and separate artists and composers.

• Also in search results we can find composers in the artist column. Trying to open an album of a correctly shown artist leeds to a black window.

• Updating of changed album art does not work once again.

• Adding tracks / albums to a playlist: AS adds now tracks to a playlist. More sophisticated and helpful would be, if AS

1. detects, if any of the tracks, that should be added to the playlist already exist there

2. then shows a dialogue with the following possibilities: escape, add all, add only new tracks

3. then add the tracks according to the selection in the dialogue or do nothing (escape)

• The ID3 tags for “Album Artist” and “Is part of a compilation” miss in the info panel.
1 Like

I changed to Audirvana Origin and have a look now in Version 1.06

Not yet fixed

• In search results for composers (Show all albums) opening compilation discs, AO shows all tracks instead of only the tracks belonging to the searched composer. In my example I searched for Gustav Mahler and the screenshot shows a compilation album opened out of the search results:

• If albums contain the searched term in their name and in other ID3 tags, they show up several times in search results (Show all albums): Once with the searched composer and a 2nd time with the searched composer in the name of the album.
    Example: search term Mozart

• In search results we can find composers in the artist results.

• Opening the artist view in the sidebar composers and artists are not separated. Would it be possible to have a seprate view for composers?

• Updating of changed album art does not work in all fields:

• Adding tracks / albums to a playlist: AO adds tracks to a playlist. More sophisticated and helpful would be, if AS

Updated to Origin Audirvana Origin 2.0.0 (20000)

Not yet fixed

• Initial problem: In search results for composers (Show all albums) opening compilation discs, AO shows all tracks instead of only the tracks belonging to the searched composer. In my example I searched for Gustav Mahler and the screenshot shows a compilation album opened out of the search results.
    Now AO excludes compilation albums - several tracks are not included in serach results for composers and albums.

• If albums contain the searched term in their name and in other ID3 tags, they show up several times in search results (Show all albums): Once with the searched composer and a 2nd time with the searched composer in the name of the album.

• In search results we can find composers in the artist results.

• Opening the artist view in the sidebar composers and artists are not separated. Would it be possible to have a seprate view for composers?

• Updating of changed album art does not work in all fields:

• Adding tracks / albums to a playlist: AO adds tracks to a playlist. More sophisticated and helpful would be, if AS