Genres in Audirvana

Nice to have Genre now but how can I delete a certain Genre, because I have them twice in the list? One was generated from my own library in Apple Music and the other one was generated by Audirvana self based on? The latter doesn’t seem to work correctly too, if I compare them both.

Hi @Jos

You will have to identify the tracks for those doubled up genre.

Then, make sure the genre for all those tracks is entered exactly the same.

It’s fidly work but I’ve done it.

Regards

Phil

1 Like

Hi @Jos,
As @philipjohnson already said you have to check the metadata in your music files:

• Are the genres spelled the same?
  • Do the genres have the same capitalization? ‘Jazz’ is different than ‘jazz’ for example.
  • Are there spaces in front of or at the end of the genres? ’ Jazz’ compared to ‘Jazz’ or 'Jazz '.

If those differences exist you will have to correct them. As said it is fidly work, but if it is done it is done.
This is not only an issue in Audirvana but in all music players. If the meta data is not correct or different all music players will have problems (garbage in, garbage out).

3 Likes

Thanks Andy… I should have gone into more detail. It took me ages to understand those fiddly bits. I now have the tidiest “genre” as well as all my metadata beautifully organised.

I rarely use them for searches BUT very tidy files.

Phil

2 Likes

Thank you all for replying to my question!
This will help me further and sorry for being so late…

I should have said that my “genes” “they are are impeccable” (throes of Sienfield) but so tight, so taught, so beautiful I dare not even look at them.

But, as I did say very tidy.

I have a routine whenever I add a new album…

1. Add to library
  2. Edit All metadata for album and tracks
  3. Each artist, orchestra, etc has individual entry (unlike downloaded metadata with long Li es, seperated by comma)
  4. Once completed copied 3 times I to my backup routine, plus Time Machine.

Yes, it’s nuts. I not married. Have no kids or pets. Hate gardening.

Regards

Phil

1 Like

Hi Phil, thanks for your response!

Mine are now impeccable too. My mistake was not the Apple Music library, witch was very tidy already, but an other much smaller library with some iso files, which can not be changed. I have almost the same routine as you. At first: I convert Flac to .m4a (apple losless) files, because years ago I started to do that and then edit the metadata in Apple Music. All of my files are on a very secure NAS and with automatic backup to the clouds with iDrive Synology Backup on my NAS. In the past I had two backups too, including a local backup, but I do have a big garden, camping-life, wife and 3 kids, so one automatic backup in the clouds is enough right now. My next move is to upgrade my iMac to a new one with 3m cpu and a new iPad mini this autumn.

Regards, Jos

Love “but I do have a big garden, camping-life, wife and 3 kids…”

My next upgrade, I’ve decided, is to have “a man” do all the hard work while I sit back and listen, just listen.

Seriously though, I’m toying with a subscription to the Berlin Phiharmonika Digital Concert Hall.

Nice, there is a discount until 25 august for the concert hall. Good idea!
Sitting is not good for you and just listen.
A run, or walk each day for half an our will be enough, but one hour is better.