Getting rid of Audirvana Studio's metadata completion

@Antoine This has not been fixed in 1.9.0 either. The toggle for enabling recovered metadata (« Récupérer les données manquantes … ») is till turned off, but my displayed tags are still being contaminated with MusicBrainz metadata.

Best,
Renaud

Maybe it is because already recovered metadata is still there? And the switch only works for newly added albums/tracks? In my case the toggle works, but that is because I started with a completely fresh library a short while ago and Audirvana had to synchronize it from start.

I thought the added metadata was in the AS database, not the track, so that it would not be displayed with the toggle? Is there a way I can quickly have a completely fresh library without having to reimport every one of my 47,000+ tracks?

Thanks,
Renaud

Yes it is in the AS database and not in the track. But it is not removed from the AS database if you turn the toggle off. It seems that Audirvana still displays what is in the database. But of course I can be wrong. All I know is that (when I started the library fresh with the toggle off) it was correct. Maybe @Antoine can shed some light on this?

I can only confirm that any previously downloaded metadata is not removed by AS from its database.

I can only conjecture that AS does not keep track of any of those downloaded metadata and therefore is unable to undo this metadata downloads.

To get rid of previously downloaded metadata, the user has first to setup the toggle to reject MusicBrainz metadata download, and then regenerate the database from scratch by suppressing any source folder in the database setup of the Preferences.

Once the database has erased all albums, it is a good idea to check if any ghost album or tracks are remaining. If it is the case, simply erase the ghost tracks or albums, making sure you have a backup of the music files the ghost tracks point to.
You can then reinstate the source folders in the database setup, …and wait.

For a reason I am unable to explain and that hopefully @Antoine will trouble himself explaining, the music files are analysed regardless of the MusicBrainz downloads being toggled off.

1 Like

I agree. Of course I am only speculating, but I suspect that when Audirvana builds a fresh library the metadata from the local music files is put in the AS database. After that (if the toggle is on) AS scans MusicBrainz and overwrites the metadata in the AS database with that from MusicBrainz. If the toggle is off it won’t overwrite the database anymore, but previous overwritten data is still there.

Probably AS only shows data from it’s internal database in the GUI, so that means that already overwritten data in the database is still shown.

The only way for Audirvana to correct this is to rescan all local files, compare it to the data in the database, and update it with the local data if needed.

I also suspect that Audirvana still analyses music files with MusicBrainz (even when the toggle is off) to scan for additional (artist) information, which is not normally in metadata in local files. Because I still see that addtional info in AS even if it is not in my local data.

But it is all (educated) guesswork from my part. Indeed, maybe @Antoine is willing to do some more explanation (if we ask him nicely :slight_smile:) and after he recuperated from Christmas and such…

That reminds me:
Everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

1 Like

Speculation as well I would think that you would have to trash the SQLite and start fresh

Hopefully everyone has a virgin backup of all local files available

Hello,

To confirm you, since the analysis of your tracks have been done in the past, you will need to remove your database to create a new one. Since the 1.9 you can do a backup of your favorites and playlists in the Local section of Audirvāna Studio settings so you won’t loose them when creating your fresh database.

1 Like