Naim NDX2: Internet playback radio stops after some time

Hi Damien,

Just evaluating the Audirvana Studio trial (owing a Audirvana 3.5 license for 4 years now).
A very nice upgrade, Top! Congrats! Well done!
There’s however one issue I’m currently unable to overcome: whenever I start the (indefinite length) internet-audio-stream from the German internet-radio-station Antenne Bayern Chillout it initiates the radio-stream correctly. Afterwards the stream is successfully played via my Naim NDX2 streamer as a uPnP WAV-file. But, unfortunately on the NDX2 it is shown as a file with a fixed time duration of 2h:15m:15s. After this period playback stops. It can be restarted manually via the Audirvana remote-app, which initiates another sequence of only 2h:15m:15s. I’m running Audirvana Studio on a MacMini 2014 with 16GB Ram in exclusive mode. Changing the buffer to f.i. 4 GB doesn’t make any difference. I’ve included a screenprint of the NDX2 screen.
How to increase the continuous playback timing ? Kind regards,

Hi Mike,
Quite interesting! A friend of mine just got a similar issue with his Pearl Ahoy from Cabasse: playing stops after roughly 2 mn and can be restarted from the App.
Is your NDX2 player connected on wifi or do you use an ethernet cable?

1 Like

The MacMini is connected to a WiFi-access-point-router-modem, to which device also the NDX2 streamer is connected via LAN-ethernet. Just a random guess, but maybe it’s related to a kind of maximum length/buffer the NDX2 assumes, when it’s receiving ‘indefinite’ file-lengths?

Maybe you could try to connect the MacMini to an ethernet cable, just to see if that works better. On my side, I encountered similar problems and discovered I switched inadvertently to Wifi.
Regarding the buffer on the NDX2 side, whatever its real size, it should never be empty until the end of the track.
I’m interested in your case as my friend experienced a very similar thing but with a PC on Windows and I’m trying to figure out what really happen in those situations (Loss of connection, bug in the protocol, …)

1 Like

thx. … just gave it a go … but without succes: each restart of whatever bitrate and speed radio-station I choose, results again in 2h:15m:15s play-time. Curious!

Yes, curious!
It’s just as if the NDX2 Never asks for more data and simply empty the buffer.
Just another idea that sometimes solve the issues I have with my Marantz NA11-S1: maybe you could try to perform a hard reset of the NDX2 by unplugging the device from the power source, wait for 10 sec, and plug it again.
You also could try to reboot your MAC in parallel.

2 Likes

hi @Damien2 , @Antoine,
would you please be so kind to give a bit of attention to my request? oOn the Naim-community-forum I’ve found that I’m not the only one with issues related to Audirvana and Naim NDX2-streamer. TIA

Hi @Mike12,

How does it works with your device when you are playing an album? Does it goes from a track to another smoothly?

Yes, no issues at all when playing Qobuz tracks, Qobuz albums or Qobuz playlists.
The time-period issue only occurs when playing Audirvana Studio originated Internet-radio stations (which, I assume. don’t push additional info on track-length and/or playlist-length towards the NDX2-streamer).

So no issue when you play those using Qobuz in Audirvāna Studio?

No, streaming Qobuz music works OK!
The issue is related to Internet radio, which stops without user intervention after 2h15m15s, see previous screenprints. Looking forward to find a solution, TIA

Can you go in the Audirvāna settings and in the My account section? You will see a button ‘Start Log Session’, click on it and then reproduce your issue. After you reproduced it, click on ‘Stop Log Session’ and then send me the log file you can find by clicking on the button ‘Open Log Folder’ at support@audirvana.com

Dear Antoine, due to a longer period abroad, I wasn’t able to respond to your latest reaction.
When I came home last Sunday unfortunately the internet-radio issue appeared again. Also when I’m playing a Qobuz-playlist of 334 songs Audirvana Studio stops playing frequently with the current Studio version. Weird!
How to get the Studio version to work fine om my Naim NDX2? Based on the Naim form I’m not the only one with playback issues on UPnP-playback on NDX2. Caused by me absence my one-month trial ends today. A simple request to extend this trial period for another month, to give us some time to fix the issue ? It would be a petty (and a shame) to have to conclude that this software doesn’t bwork prpoerly with high-end Naim streamers … despite its very good sound quality.

NB.Version 3.5 works fine on playback!

Kind Regards

Have you made sure you are on the latest 2.3.2 version and ticked the new box “Fix for devices with unwanted playback stops” under Settings/DAC input? I had issues earlier but works without problems today. I also changed DNS on my Mac Mini to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. No, did not try this setting yet … will do si tonight! But why the DNS setting, This is vert different from the generic DNS-setting of my internet provider ?

hi @Damien , @Antoine , please react … I’m still hopeful you can be of help! I don’t yet want to conclude that the Audirvana Studio software is not working on a standard Naim NDX2 and as a result crappy software, better to avoided :smiling_face_with_tear:.

Nb. Trial isn’t working anymore :smiling_face_with_tear::smiling_face_with_tear:

I’m on Naim NDS and had similar problems but not today. I have used it on my NDX2 too and it works.

Try this out since it’s my settings and it works.

• Computer settings
    – Put all sliders to active (prevent screen from going to sleep etc)
    – Audirvana Priority → Extreme

DAC Input

• Toggle “Fix for devices with unwanted playback stops” to active.
  • Maximum DSD → Off
  • Auto detect MQA → Off
  • DAC not detected as MQA → Not MQA
    Other settings as per default

Buffer size

• Change to 1.8GB

Turn Audirvana off and on. Turn Router off and on. Turn NDX2 off and on. Turn hifi-switch if any, off and on.

1 Like

Thanks, @ropplack , you’re very helpful. Right now I can’t do anything, as my trial has expired today (related to my absence🤪). I do sincerely hope that Audirvana (@Damien or @Antoine ) will also reply today ? :face_with_peeking_eye:

You can also send a mail to support@audirvana.com

1 Like

Thx. … mail was already send to support@audirvana.com. Hopefully they’ll give a reaction ?