Is Audirvāna Studio bit-perfect?

You didn’t check the examples that were posted. You do not provide an example of your own that others can verify.

As for A3.5, that may exaggerate or not some transients, I and other people have some other players to compare with, as points of reference.

The topic is the bit-perfect mode of AS. Plug-ins and EQ alter the sound, and are completely other things.

I wrote the topic, I should know… :blush:

You wrote: “Is Audirvana Studio bit-perfect? Not necessarily”.
Plug-ins and EQ have nothing to do with your topic.

It does not ‘decode’ the bits to a 64 bit space. The bits (16, 24 or 32) are simply put in a 64 bit container and padded with zero’s. This is done because the architecture of the computer is also natively 64 bits. It is simply the fastest and most efficient way to do it.

Think of 64 bit as a large box with size 64. If you put size 16, 24 or 32 in the box it will all fit and not change if you get them out off the box. No conversion takes place, so, in this respect it is still bit perfect.

EDIT:
There can of course be other factors (as you mention) for Audirvana being not bit perfect, but the 64 bit storage for integers certainly does not change bits.

Audirvana Studio allows sound levelling, upsampling, plugins, etc, because they want people to enjoy the music subjectively, as everyone has different criteria for what sounds good. My post was exploring the fact that there are so many aspects to Audirvana that make it ‘not bit perfect’, and I wasn’t sure I had covered them all.

I don’t think your comparison between A3.5 and AS was about ‘bit perfect’ either, it was about which one sounds better to you, am I wrong?

Well, the examples given in this thread might not be traceable for everyone!

Citing @VoyagerDude‘ example that guitar strings sound exactly how they should: what do you do when you’re not a guitar player? You have no idea what to listen to!

I‘m a saxophone player, so I could give dozens of examples why a saxophone doesn’t sound exactly how it should, but I wouldn’t dare to accuse the player software to be the culprit.

There’s a GENERAL perception that you hear across almost all albums, and I do perceive a difference between AS and Audirvana 3.5, namely that AS is a tad brighter, livelier, while 3.5 comes through as a bit more laid back. On the other hand , AS resolves the music better spatially, by quite some margin, than 3.5.

These are differences I hear by listening to a large number of albums in both versions, AS and 3.5. Albeit with exclusively Jazz, mostly Bebop/Hardbop.

Exactly, couldn’t agree more!

I compared them as well as A2.5 strictly in bit-perfect mode.
I did not compare them in other modes, and did not say anything about how they sound in other modes.

Now, if you have an example to give that sustains your claims, give as an artist, an album, an edition, and a track that we can listen to and verify what you say.

Sorry, I am not a scientist, I am a music enjoyment buff :blush:

Not sure what equipment you’re using but in my listening with both headphones and speakers it I’d oppose it. it’s AS that is more muffled and pushed back. A 3.5 is lively and has wider soundstage.

The general perception that I have while comparing AS and A3.5 in a strict bit-perfect mode is that AS sounds muffled.
When compared carefully with Hi Res and DSD, there are real problems. I gave an example, and you can check. I’m listening to DSD tracks, and going to give others.

You are free to have your opinion, but if you can not support it, generally, it’s of little interest for others.

I would guess it’s not only the speakers/headphones that affect the sound, but all the components in between as well. I have Mytek DAC, Outlaw Audio integrated, KEF LS-50 speakers, Sennheiser HD650 headphones and Johnnystar ears :blush:

How do you know it’s of little interest to others (aside from yourself)? :blush:

What I said was a universal truth. If one doesn’t support his claims with verifiable facts, they are of little value.

Yes agreed the whole chain matters. Lol re the ears. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For my listening I used a Marantz HDDAC1 and senn HD800S. The Marantz typically has a laidback tone. The headphones have an enormous sound stage.

For speakers I used also a Marantz by PM7000N with Martin Logan 35xti.

And voyagerdude ears :grinning:

2 Likes

You can believe that if you you like, you have my permission. :blush:

Me, My ears and I :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I don’t need your permission. If I can not verify your claim, it’s value is of unverifiable claim. That’s all.