Issue with UPnP RPi with Audirvāna 3.5

Connected to Ropieee XL finally. Let’s see if it will be stable…sigh…

3 Likes

Aaaaaand it crashed and now it doesn’t see it again. Multiple restarts and still nothing. What a piece of crap. Why anyone would pay MONTHLY for this garbage I don’t know. I guess that leaves trying Gentoo and after that I’m out of here forever. I’ve owned this software and dealt with its endless bugs and terrible customer support for many years now. Yes I know, I’m stupid for trying. How is Damien still in business?

1 Like

I couldn’t have said it better myself, @music4me. I’m having miserable UPnP issues with my MicroRendu. I’ve been posting about it in another thread, along with a handful of other issues, to no avail.

I feel extra stupid, because I was using version 3.2.20 about as issue-free as any version of this software has ever run for me, and then I was seduced by the free trial of Štüdîø. In the process of trying to get the new software to work, I messed with the MicroRendu software, and now even version 3.2.20 won’t work properly anymore. Regardless, the version of the software that was abandoned three year ago is still the least broken one, at least in my system, and it also includes a COLUMN BROWSER, so I don’t have to deal with slow-loading, clunky images or tedious file hierarchies, in order to browse and play my 8TB of locally stored music!

Anyway, yeah, I’m on the verge of permanently bailing on ÅŠ, myself. It is definitely not ready for prime time, and the UPnP issues are 100% on the developers, in this case. Pretty, functionally-impaired interfaces, useless, space-hogging blurblobs, where there could be a browser, and silly, arbitrary punctuation don’t make up for the fact that this software feels and acts immaturely, as though it is still not ready for release, especially as a monthly subscription.

1 Like

If you want to fix some of those issues you need to be prepared do a clean install of the system. Quite few users are using UPnP with success with Audirvana, and RPi is especially good for that as the software is updated frequently.

Everybody has a different use case. Many users don’t rely on UPnP and use the computer as transport.

I’ve installed and reinstalled so many times that I don’t care to do it anymore. A product either works or it doesn’t. I shouldn’t have to spend days mired in technical manuals, trawling internet forums and, doing rain dances. When I’m dine with my day job, I don’t want to keep working just so I can listen to music. I just want to listen to music.

My day job is as a Senior Software Engineer. I lead a team of developers. If we produced this quality of product, I’d fire everyone on my team and then resign in shame.

2 Likes

Testify, @music4me! Once again, I literally couldn’t have said it better. It’s so nice to hear this coming from someone with experience in software development. It’s not my field, but I deeply respect people who do it well. I respect them all the more, when I encounter glitchy, bug-infested, hieroglyph-laden software like Åüdîrvãńā.

@bitracer, UPnP is superior to using a computer as a transport, because computers aren’t designed for the purpose. UPnP music streamers are. There is a difference that is not remotely subtle, between the sound produced directly from my computer’s USB port and that produced by the MicroRendu. Regardless, if the designers of the software advertise it as being adept with that use case, it’s not unfair for users with that use case to expect it to be. UPnP does, after all, stand for “Universal Plug n Play”. Fiddley, tedious hassle is nowhere in the abbreviation, and this is the first time I’ve encountered an issue with it. Mind you, I’ve been using a version of Audirvana that was inexplicably abandoned, rather than improved upon, THREE YEARS AGO, and it still works better and has a more thoughtful, user-friendly interface design than anything @Damien has released since.

Audirvana Plus, version 3.2.20 worked beautifully for me, with the Rendu, until I reinstalled the Rendu software (not even updated, just reinstalled, mind you) to try to eliminate a problem with Štüdîø not being able to play more than one track at a time, without the user tapping the Next Track button. Version 3.2.20 is still superior, as it now plays everything except MQA files without a hitch. Štüdîø, on the other hand, will only play MQA files, and it only does so with loud, random bursts of noise, at the beginning of every track. 3.2.20 also allows me (and always has) to drag tracks, within the play queue, in order to change their sequence, unlike Štüdîø. Throw in a fully customizable column browser, in 3.2.20, and I have nothing but regret for every trying Štüdîø.

What a nightmare. Like I keep saying, it’s like being asked to pay to beta test a software. It’s completely beyond absurd.

Did you try the latest version 1.11?
Maybe it fixed the issue that you encounter with your MicroRendu.

@Cloclo, I’m traveling for work until the middle of next week. After two miserable weeks of fighting with the software, I’m reluctant to try again, unless @Antoine specifically tells me that the UPnP issue has been addressed.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s better to design a new product from scratch rather than to waste time on attempts to fix an ill designed one.
That’s, I believe, the idea behind Studio. It’s the future, and it replaces 3.5 that never worked properly.

@Cloclo, amazingly, even jaw-droppingly mystifying is the fact that Audirvana Plus was always a solid software that was simple, intuitive, functional, and sounded great. Did you ever use it?

I was genuinely flummoxed when @Damien released 3.5, because it discarded everything that had ever worked about his software (it essentially was like iTunes/ Music/ TimmyTunes, with hi-res functionality that bypassed the MacOS audio processor).

It’s more a testament to the sorry state of UPnP than the Audirvana itself. I’ve been using Audirvana for years now with great results. It’s the best audiophile player software on the market. Now, it’s not perfect but it’s still the best.

1 Like

Ok, but why is Štüdîø the first version of the software, with which I have had functionality issues with my UPnP streamer?

@Cloclo, this is Audirvana Plus, version 3.2.20. It was abandoned in spring 2019, in favor of the bootleg-Napster, 90’s throwback interface, with horrendous navigation (as well as a host of other) issues that was 3.5:

All the Audirvana Plus players were very good indeed.
Someone suggested bringing back A+ UI as an option to Studio. It’s a very good idea, in my opinion, and I hope that @Damien will adopt it.

1 Like

Because things change in the background. Pretty much all RPi distros have been broken at one time. Audirvana’s UPnP implementare or the library they use evolves over time too.

As you can see from the posts, there are quite few users that use UPnP successfully with Audirvana.

It would be great, if the accompanying reliability were restored with it.

When 3.5 was released, I felt betrayed and left behind, as a user of many years, at that point. I was bewildered why anyone would take such a “baby with the bath water” approach to an update. That was the release that convinced me that @Damien had lost his way and taken Audirvana with him. Nothing he has released since has worked even a fraction as well.

I would love to see setup descriptions, from any users with no issues using Audirvana with a MicroRendu, @bitracer. Unfortunately, I have not seen the droves of satisfied UPnP streamer users, to whom you refer. If any of them have setups that resemble mine, I’d love to hear what they’re doing to make Štüdîø work with UPnP.

I think that when @Damien started Audirvana, he had in mind customers with music libraries. And he designed the Audirvana Plus line of players for that usage.
Starting with 3.5, he targets the young generation of people who don’t buy music, but listens to streaming services. So the library management of the player was restricted in favor of a more fancy UI.

Sure, @Cloclo, but for those of us using the software for years to manage large, local libraries, as I still do, it was an abandonment and a betrayal. It felt, and still feels like, a slap in the face to those of us who gave this guy money for years.

Copied from another thread, where I am trying to get help with this same issue, once again, here is my signal chain, @bitracer:

Music on external drive-> 2018 Mac Mini six-core, 64gb RAM (still the top-of-the-line model)-> Audirvana (no upsampling, effects, EQ, or filters-> 10gb Ethernet port on Mac Mini-> cat 6 Ethernet cable-> Motorola MG8702 modem-> cat 6 Ethernet cable-> MicroRendu-> Pangea Premier XL USB cable-> Schiit Yggdrasil.