Issue with upsampling with a coxial cable

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Yes!… Don’t just relegate to 24/96kHz, up-convert to 24/192kHz and forget about it… Enjoy the music!

(edit)–
Not exactly perfect conversion (24/192kHz)… 24/176.4kHz would be the preferred up-conversion sample-rate (Fs)

sorry about the previous deletes of my responses… I got a little confused as to whom I was responding to… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

1 Like

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes: @Abraxas628 @Jim_F
(EDIT)–
That’s what I was just thinking… (K3 LINE OUT >> Edifier AUX INPUT via a short adapter cable) (TRS to RCA) … This will give you the K3 DAC advantages and unrestricted sample-rate playback sound quality…

Exactly Agoldnear ! I found the same solution as you yesterday, and I can confirm that it works as long as you upsample to 48, 96 or 192 hz. I don’t know why but you were right. Thank you guys to all of you for your help.

I could not find a proper adapter line out to aux so if you have any suggestion, I’m all hear Agoldnear.

The LINE OUT of the K3 has excellent frequency response (near perfectly neutral) … Using the LINE OUT will allow the K3 DAC to produce analog output signals with a resolution of up to 768khz and DSD256 to the Edifier system… the only real snag in the overall sound-quality will be the Texas Instruments digital amplifiers employed in the Edifier system, that may convert the analog signal to 192kHz again for playback… But you will get the advantage of the higher-resolution analog input signal as compared to a 96kHz or 192kHz DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) input signal…

Your cable cannot be purchased outside of the USA (I’m in France). Thank you anyway Agoldnear. I’m gonna try to find one in my country.

I already have a jack to RCA cable but it doesn’t work with the line out output from the K3 even if it fits inside. It seems the line out output needs something with looks like the jack but works with a different protocol.

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes: @Abraxas628
the K3 Line Out is a 3.5mm TRS jack… No special protocol…

From the K3 Owners Manual:

note:
line out is controlled by the power/volume knob and can work with the 2.5mm/3.5mm output at the same time; but recommend to eject the 2.5mm/3.5mm headphones while using the line out.

What they are saying… It’s best to not use the headphone outputs at the same time as the line-output, because you will not be able to monitor the volume of the Edifier system with headphones on and you could possibly damage the 360DB system from overloading the input or blow everybody out of your space… Or conversely, leaving the headphones connected while turning up the volume of the K3 could damage your headphones…

You will want to talk to Edifier about proper volume settings on the 360DB when connecting to the K3 Line-Out. A good safe place to start is with the volume set to 50% on the 360DB and then use the volume control of the K3 to manage the level of the Edifier system… Once familiar with this, you can increase the Edifier volume to get a preferred sound without added noise or distortion…

Ok, it works. I am not sure it brings an improvement to the sound compared to the coaxial but it is nice to able to control the volume with my dac.

1 Like

The Texas Instruments digital power-amps are the common denominator for your system… They mostly likely, resample the incoming analog signal from the AUX INPUT to 192kHz for playback… Just remember one thing about this… The higher the resolution analog signal that you present to the AUX INPUT, you will get a more refined playback, even when the Texas Instruments digital amps convert this analog signal into 192kHz digital (ADC) Analog to Digital Conversion, especially when you up-convert PCM to 705.6kHz or 768kHz or remodulate PCMxxx to DSDxxx…

Ok thank you. By the way I tested the sounds coming from the coaxial and the line out and the coaxial is definitively better. I think that’s because the dac inside the Edifier is as good or better than the K3, which is an entry level dac and you get the advantage of the purity of the digital signal. But if someday I purchase the K9 pro ESS, which seems to be insanely good, this might change and the line out will be a better solution.

You must match the levels properly to make a serious comparison…
Anyway… good that you’ve got a handle on this stuff now…

Also a dirt-cheap Line Out cable will have some influence on the output quality of the K3, which, if you look at the specs, it is pretty awesome…

More likely the incoming analog signal ADC (Analog to Digital Conversion ) of the Texas Instruments digital amplifiers is not so great… Not the K3 Line ouput signal quality being the differentiator.

Ok maybe you are right, I will buy a proper cable to do a proper comparison.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.