Max pathlength on Windows 11 and Audirvana Origin

I imported a new directory. Some files did not showed up in Audirvana Origin.

I checked the pathlength in Windows 11 and for the files that did not showed up, it was 250 or above.
I had to shorten the length to a max of 235; then they showed up in Audirvana Origin.

Two questions:

• is this indeed a limit for Audirvana Origin
  • are there any other limitations within Audirvana Origin

Can you send the path of one of the track?

Antoine, see the two screenshots.

Can you send the whole path of the 236 length track?

Y:\Klassiek-Componist\Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich@- Tchaikovsky - Symphonies No. 6 ‘Pathetique’ [Mixed]\Tchaikovsky - (1986) Symphony Nr. 6 (Abbado, Chicago Symphony Orchestra) [FLAC]\I. Adagio - Allegro non troppo - Andante - moder.flac

Antoine, somehow the “” before “@” is missing in my previous answer !

Y:\Klassiek-Componist\Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich@- Tchaikovsky - Symphonies No. 6 ‘Pathetique’ [Mixed]\Tchaikovsky - (1986) Symphony Nr. 6 (Abbado, Chicago Symphony Orchestra) [FLAC]\I. Adagio - Allegro non troppo - Andante - moder.flac

well, I see the backslash before “@” disappears when I send the answer !

Follow the steps below:
Open Group Policy Editor (Press Windows Key and type gpedit. msc and hit Enter key.
Navigate to the following directory: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > NTFS.
Click Enable NTFS long paths option and enable it.

(from the web - tested but not with AS - hope helped)

Daniel, I am on Windows 11 Home Edition; no gpedit installed. Besides that, I am rearranging the directory structure which will shorten the lengths.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

1 Like

Maybe this?

Fix 2 (regedit).

Don’t worry, you will not break anything.

I use an app called qBitTorrent (free and safe, best torrent client so far). When you install that app you have the option to “disable characters limit” or something like this. Also some tweakers (Optimizer?) have this option. But stay away from them because can break things and need to reinstall os. Or break features, like Store, App Installer, permissions, Windows Update. Best is to use the regedit trick I think. Then restart. If it’s still not working maybe it’s on AS side. But at least know you did all on yours.

Daniel, sorry.
I should have mentioned that I know that option/procedure. But I want to (at least) keep my main system (W11 Home) as standard as possible. I will try it on my testsystem.

Besides that, I like to know if there are any restrictions within the Audirvana software.

1 Like

It’s working on my side with this one:

“C:\Users\AntoineDouaillat\Desktop\Klassiek-Componist\Tchaikovsky, Pyotr Ilyich\ @-Tchaikovsky - Symphonies No. 6 ‘Pathetique’ [Mixed]Tchaikovsky - (1986) Symphony Nr. 6 (Abbado, Chicago Symphony Orchestra) [FLAC]I. Adagio - Allegro non troppo .flac”

Antoine, thanks for your response.

• are you also on Windows 11 (without this " Make Windows 11 Accept File Paths over 260 Characters") ?

• does the max length within Audirvana Origin depends on what is defined in W11 ?

Yes I am.

Yes

Maybe there is an issue with the database file itself. Have you tried the three commands you have in the Maintenance section under the Local settings of Audirvāna?

Antoine, thanks for your response.

I have used the three library options; does not change the limit of 235.

Perhaps the cause can be found somewhere in the information found in the following link:

For me, I will reduce the concerning pathlengths as part of the (partly) rearrange of my library.

Thanks for your attention.

Why you don’t change/create that value with regedit? Nothing wrong will happen. I agree, making dozen of “tweaks” can break some things. But it’s just a single key and you know what you do. Your Windows registry, believe it or not, contains errors, like invalid references, less or more, depends on what you did. So your system is not so perfect, so “untouched”, even if you were very carreful. Takes less than playing with Audirvana database, just few seconds. (I think works only with NTFS, with exFat I don"t know.)

@DGrigorescu
Nice of you to response to this. But, adjusting the library (for this aspect specific) is not so much work, the utility “PathLengthChecker” is perfect for that. By the way, it is already done.

I still prefer no changes on the standard Windows (ofcourse anyone has to decide that for themselves).

1 Like

The utility “PathLenghtChecker”? Thanks, didn’t know.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.