Music snobbery?

Not made up… I don’t think the intent was to denigrate, it’s just how it reads.
I’ll try to find it, if I can be arsed.

“If anything, electronic music should sound exactly as it did in the recording environment. No?”

Very true, but how do you establish the reference to assert “sound exactly as it did”?
Does that mean you should have the same equipment as the recording studio to listen to the recording?

Well, that’s kind of my point in all of this. If you were not present at the recording of any piece of music, what is your reference? I mean, I know what ‘a’ guitar sounds like, but I won’t know what a particular guitar sounded like at recording. So, as long as iwhat I am hearing pleases me, I’m happy.

1 Like

Not looking to argue, just gathering opinions and viewpoints.

1 Like

Hundreds of times I have heard those same sounds in live performances or other records. “Subtleties” that are specific unintended sounds any acoustic instrument creates. Instrument separation in orchestra. Things like that.

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry… I’m getting a bit picky… Just very bored… recovering from major back surgery and stuck in house! That and chemo makes me sometimes engage keyboard before brain!

Thanks… Six rounds R-CHOP, three rounds Methotraxate.

I don’t think there is a genre hierarchy, but big orchestral music benefits, and sometimes requests, more from an audio system that other genres.

When you have a set of more than 40 musicians performing in a large scene, it’s very difficult to reproduce the sens of scale, the synchronicity and the details with some system. It’s not « more clear », more « emotional » but just intelligible. Symphonies can seem mushy when listening to them through some systems.

Note that this kind of music spread into a large frequency range and the balance between bass / medium / highs is a very appreciated plus. Add to that the fact that some compositions reache the extremes frequencies in a very short time, and you can conclude that the dynamic become a decisive criteria.

It’s a lot to ask from a system…

For Jazz, and especially vocal Jazz, or small lyrical ensemble, the question is less about the intelligibility than an honest / engaging voice reproduction. They surely benefit from qualitatif systems but not systematically the same than those suited for big orchestral music.

The major difficulty when we pick a system is that, a lot of time, we enjoy different genres, so compromise should be accepted.

3 Likes