Naim NDX2: Internet playback radio stops after some time

The first place to start troubleshooting is to eliminate the network variables… If the Mac is connected wirelessly, you are at the mercy of the wireless signal… If so, make an Ethernet connection to the Mac from your router, keeping the network simple… Is the Mac connected to your main router/switch or on an access-point being served by that router/switch?

If you are running the Mac Mini headless you may also be running into CPU processing overhead problems due to graphics processing:

“Mac and PC computers can pack phenomenal power into a compact form factor, but when they’re operated without a display attached, the GPU isn’t activated — meaning it’s not pulling its weight. So when you access your Mac or PC remotely, the CPU does all the work in rendering the user interface. As a result, the interface lags; OS animation, cursor movement, menu navigation, and typing all suffer, making remote operations a pain.”

NewerTech® : Video : HDMI Headless Video Accelerator

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

2 Likes

Ah indeed. I had same issues when using wireless. Solved when using ethernet. I think I read that it has something to do with how data buffers on the naim streamer on wifi vs ethernet.

I have now also updated my mac mini late 2014 with a NVME SSD drive. Works great.

There are dummy adapters for those running without a screen to activate the GPU. Think I will give that a go. https://www.amazon.com/Emulator-Headless-Compatible-Computer-fit-Headless/dp/B09P6DKF28/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mac%2Bmini%2Bheadless%2Badapter&qid=1687283131&sr=8-3&th=1

Another thing you can try out is changing from DHCP in the NDX and set it to off and then enter the IP adress your mac mini shows and add DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the NDX. I had some issues with my NDS initialising when switching from radio stream to albums but after I did this update it works great.

Hi, thx. for the additional info.

Fortunately my trial-period was extended by support staff. Thanks to your detailed specs, I’ve adjusted my Audirvana settings accordingly … and guess what: it really did the trick.
Key appeared to be to toggle the ‘Fix for devices with unwanted playback stops’ slider to active! Playback hasn’t stopped since! Great !!
The remaining issue was the fixed length of 2h:15m:15s of an Internet-radio-stream. This issue can apparently be circumvented by adjusting the Audirvana playback setting in the Mini-Player screen to Continous Play. So finally my issues are both solved and I have to admit SQ is really good! Looks like this SW version is here to stay !

NB. No need to adjust DNS-settings to Google’s std. server. DNS present IP-provider works fine.

1 Like

Hi @Antoine , @Damien ,

Happy with the sound quality of Audirvana, serving my NDX2-streamer. Unfortunately UpnP problems continue to arise …

Sequence of events:

1. full power off/power on of the MacMini, opening latest version of Audirvana Studio, playing songs to Naim streamer via uPnP.
  2. playing albums/personal playlists via Qobuz works 100% OK: all songs are played correctly, with album art work and progress bars showing all info correctly in both the Audirvana remote app (Miniplayer) as well as in the Naim app (uPnP).
  3. Pausing and afterwards resuming playback via the Naim app (as volume is handled by the naim-app).
  4. Frequently (but not always) the following error occurs:
  • after playback of, let’s call it, present song A (with album art and progress bar of song A still working correctly on both apps (Audirvana app and Naim app), music continues to the next song B. Of course expected behaviour … but (while playing song B) the album art and progress bar of the Audirvana app are still showing song A, whilst the album art and progress of Song B are correctly shown on the Naim app.
  • next, a few seconds before the end of song B, playback completely stops. Audirvana remote app still shows the previous song A (progress bar: fully played), Naim app shows album art of song B, with progress bar 3 to 4 seconds before its final end.
  • the next song in line, song C, won’t start to play.

Hopefully this gives you some info on the continuing playback issues with Audirvana Studio and Naim 2nd. gen. streamers. Please reply!

Hi @Mike12,

I’ll try to reproduce the error a.s.a.p. … as mentioned in my previous remark: it happened more than once, but (it’s my impression) it didn’t happen every time !