Newbie DAC questions

Do I need a DAC? If so where do I put it?
My setup: M2 iMac Wi-Fi to AirportExpress connected to home stereo.
Granted, I do not have golden ears but they can still be discerning.
I have heard that the AirportExpress has a rudimentary DAC handling the wireless signal as it goes to the RCA output into the amp.

What year is your Airport Express? Does it have an optical output?
The Airport Express will be able to support up to 16/44.14kHz digital-audio on the optical output if yours has one… and if your receiver/home stereo has an optical input for digital-audio playback, you can use this as your DAC… Otherwise you can connect the optical digital-audio output of Airport Express to a DAC with optical-input and if your stereo only has analog inputs you would connect the analog outputs of the DAC to your home stereo…
:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Thanks for the reply.
Year? Old. It is the original version. RCA outlets only.
Stereo has RCA inputs only. Amp is old Yamaha.
Hell, we and everything here are old. Except the M1 iMac and my M2 MacBook Air.

Which speakers you use?

Newest part of system - a pair of Polk Audio RTiA9.
Not sure what this has to do with thee question.

I would invest in an affordable streamer if your budget allows it.

Such as? Why?

If you are satisfied with the sound of you current set-up, then there is no reason to change until the Airport Express fails… Why do you use Airport Express? Is your computer far away from the receiver or integrated amp? You’ll need to provide more information on your proximity…

If you are close to the Yamaha, then you can employ a DAC or just use the headphone output of your you Mac(s) connected using an adapter to the line input RCA’s of the amp… Using the headphone output of the Mac approach is not what most of us here would be satisfied with, but our qualifications are different than yours… and you must be careful with the volume control so not to overload the input of the Yamaha…

Just search for DAC’s or Music Streamers in the budget range you are comfortable with… do your homework… you will get a variety of subjective opinions as to sound-quality etc, here on this forum…

1 Like

Great post mate :+1:

If on a budget, Mac via wi-fi to-

Optical out (no USB unfortunately) from Stream Box to-

RCA output from Zen to Yammy.

£500-600 .
Job done.

1 Like

If you are going portable with MacBook Air and headphones or just sitting at the computer with headphones:

It feels like you aspire to improve your listening experience. AirPort express is ok for basic casual listening.

On a budget you can look at the Arylic:

I don’t see where these devices support sample-rates beyond 16/44.14kHz… It would be a “push” and an expense that does not raise the bar in this scenario…

1 Like

Up to 24/192KHz is supported:

1 Like

Not according to the Acrylic comparison chart… it only supports up to 16/44.14kHz

The oldest Airport Express has an optical digital-output…
Interfaces

• 10/100BASE-T Ethernet WAN port (RJ-45 connector) for connecting a DSL or cable modem
  • 3.5mm mini-Audio jack for analog or optical digital sound (6)
  • USB port for connecting a USB printer(7)
  • Apple power adapter

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP76?locale=en_US

You would use a Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable…

1 Like

You’re looking at a different component. Just follow my link and scroll down to the specs.

2 Likes

Ahh, I see what you mean. Must be an error, it supports up to 24/1 92. Also at 44.1 it will perform better than AirPort express.

Still, @scappata if you can reach your gear via USB you can get a decent USB DAC and you’ll get more “bang for buck”.

1 Like

TBF, I see no explanation on the link with regard to resolution support?

Spec

##### Wifi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n 2.4G
##### Bluetooth Bluetooth 5.0 Qualcomm aptX-HD, 10M
##### Wired Connection Ethernet RJ45
##### Streaming Protocols AirPlay, DLNA, UPnP, Spotify connect, Qplay
##### DAC ESS Sabre 9023
##### Power Input DC 12V/1A
##### Analog Input RCA In x 1/1.3 Vrms
##### Analog output RCA Out x 1/2 Vrms, Sub Out x 1/3.7Vrms
##### Digital Input Optical Input x 1
##### Digital output Optical Output x 1, Coaxial Output x 1
##### USB Host For USB pen drive/stick, 1000 songs limited
##### Antennas WiFi/Bluetooth Signal
##### Music Format FLAC/MP3/AAC/AAC+/ALAC/APE/WAV
##### Audio Decode Up to 24bit/192kHz
##### Audio Output 44.1khz/16bits, CD quality
##### Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz
##### THD+N 0.0003
##### SNR 110dB
##### Online Music Service Check here
##### Local Storage Mobile device memory, NAS, USB pen drive/Stick
##### Weight 0.4kg(0.88lb)
##### Dimensions 12x11.3x3.7CM(4.72x4.45x1.46in)
##### Working temperature 0~40℃
##### Display Display status info, like songs, modes, volume etc.
##### PC iTunes/Musicbee/Foobar 2000
##### Remote Remote Control Available
##### 4stream App Free iOS and Android App
##### LED indicators RED-Standby mode
##### Power Button Device on:

Short press once: Switch input mode
Long press once: Switch off
Short press twice: Disconnect current WiFi connection and enter paring mode (WiFi mode); Disconnect current connected Bluetooth device (Bluetooth mode)
Short press three times: Restore the factory settings

Device off:
Short press: Switch on|
|##### User Manaual|Downloads|

1 Like

The iMac is in another room, hence the wireless connection to stereo. Truth is I have been happy with the setup from the very first, 2004. I’m on my third AE, have three more from eBay, all bought before Belkin released the very decent modern version with Airplay2 but I have no use for Airplay2.

I say I’ve been happy but I have always wondered if a separate DAC might be even better. I am now in a position I could afford a modest DAC. I just have no clue where in my particular setup it would be positioned.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will explore/study this afternoon.

Airplay can do 16/44.14kHz and that’s all I ever have.

The only physical change I expect is someday possibly going to a pair of SONOS 5 as we are old and slowly downsizing just about everything.