No MQA / Masters Streaming with Tidal Anymore on 3.5.X

Yes Racer, I’m using mine right now. Mac, Qobuz, usb, fabfilter EQ 3. Used It with iFi zen stream earlier today and 100%. Maybe my system is completely different from the guys having no joy. Suggested a debug report, let’s see if anyone posts one.

It’s exactly the same type of license. You have a perpetual license to use a specific version of the software. That’s for your lifetime or the useful span of the software.

3 Likes

According to who? You? I beg to differ.

Whatever. It’s political. I will not participate in this discussion any further.

I don’t think it‘s injustice. You just have unrealistic expectations.

4 Likes

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/what-does-a-lifetime-license-mean/44c4beba-296b-4859-bd1b-86b25a498edd

1 Like

I may be a little late to the ‘party’ but this is discussed and explained in this forum, see this thread:

Lifetime license for the latest version of Audirvana - Legacy versions - Audirvana

It boils down to: You have bought a license for lifetime access to Audirvana 3.5 which is valid as long as the Audirvana company exists. As far as I can see this still is true. You are right that software does not live, but software certainly has a ‘lifespan’:
Average Expected Lifespan of Custom Software Solutions in 2019 | Youth Award
Also 3.5 is not discontinued you can still use it. Further development on it is discontinued. Slight difference.

The general definition/consensus on the internet for a lifetime software license is as follows:

A ‘lifetime license’ means that after you buy or license the software, you can use the purchased version for as long as you want, providing that the machine you use it on meets the initial program system requirements .

The above is still valid for Audirvana 3.5.

1 Like

Yes. The above proves my point. That being that the software must work as described at the time I purchased it, for as long as I care to use it, on supported hardware, and supported OS.
Today, 3.5 goes down on functionality with streaming services, and remains so for months. That is not what I purchased a license for. I am still on the same hardware I was on when I purchased Audirvana 3.5. My OS still fully supports 3.5. Tidal and Qobuz change their API is not my business. It is Audirvana’s problem to be dealt with in a speedy manner as it arises.
Audirvana cannot discontinue support for a product they have sold a lifetime license for. And patrons of that license have a right to speedy rectification of those issues which contravene the agreed and understood functionality of the product at the time of purchase for as long as they care to use the product.

1 Like

Or should you write a complaint to Tidal? 3.5 did not change. Tidal did.

1 Like

Audirvana sold me seamless integration with Tidal in 3.5.
Again. I expect what I paid for.

1 Like

I see your frustration, but this is going around in circles. No point in discussing this further. Agree to disagree.

I have already said that I have subscribed to Studio.
This is a matter of principle. Audirvana used language which from a legal standpoint is unambiguous. From the same screenshot I posted above: “Receive your unique License number activating the trial version installed on your computer and benefit of all the latest features included in the 3.5 without limitations” This is the adult world we live in. Theres no “actually, we meant something different“. A class action suit regarding this would bankrupt Audirvana.
I don’t care for the fact that Audirvana had substandard legal counsel regarding the copy they used to sell the product at the time. I’m sure that is a situation they are looking into right now.

I expect nothing from Audirvana. I would like to see them honour the promise they made to their customers of 3.5, by continuing support for the product functionality. Specifically, the integration with Tidal and Qobuz.
Is that so much to ask?

1 Like

The Legal agreement between the parties when purchasing 3.5 is detailed in the EULA for the software which is included in the install bundle. By use of the software you automatically agree to this licence and the terms detailed in the EULA. There will be a statement of term in the EULA. Anything else stated on the website is superceded when you agree to the EULA by using the software.

Of course.
As I have no interest in pursuing legal recourse for this, I have not nor will I reference that EULA. However, as I’ve said before, this is a matter of principle. Audirvana has the option. Do right by your customers, or hide behind the legal wall.

I love the product, especially the new features in Studio. Had 3.5 not gone down on Tidal, I would not have tried Studio.

Nevertheless, Audirvana sold a bill of goods using specific language with 3.5. Keeping to that implied value would cost little. Choosing to withhold that value in favour of forcing customers hands to the newer more profitable model, is unethical.

1 Like

You could have tested Qobuz for a free trial period perhaps? Maybe that’s not an option for you in your location? You are dedicated to Tidal only? Just a thought.
Sorry you can’t get a chance to use your 3.5 on your computer system today.

1 Like

Every software company has a stated end of life for its products. The end of life for 3.5 has passed and it is unreasonable to expect a company of Audirvana’s size to support legacy products ad infinitum when every other much larger company does not do so. I have had to buy MS Office Mac many times since 2002 due to end of life applied by Microsoft.

Chill and just enjoy AS or if you are so upset switch to a competing product. Roon I believe has a true lifetime licence, the cost of which addresses their anticipated maintenance overhead.

3 Likes

The problem here is caused by Tidal, not Audirvana. If they commit to an API, they should stick to it. Or at least version it, so that legacy implementations continue to work as they roll in new features.

3 Likes

Only Tidal playlists show up, but new, rising lists are dead

I don’t have this behavior on my side, can you disconnect and reconnect your Tidal account?

LOGOUT → LOGIN → does not work list → program OFF → program ON → list appears

2 Likes