No sound all of the sudden!

Help! Long time customer here. I have the latest version of Audirvana on my iMac. For years, I have streamed with Audirvana through a M2Tech hiFace Two to a S/PDIF coaxial cable to a DAC and then to a pre-amp.

Suddenly, middle of the day, I have no music. A signal seems to get to the DAC, as I get the different sampling rates show up on the display of the DAC depending on the files I am streaming. Just no sound.

I am able to get the independent Tidal application, separate from what is built into Audirvana, to stream music through the M2 Tech hiFace Two.

To add to the mystery, I can get the Audirvana player to stream music to the built-in speakers on the iMac.

Any ideas what might be the cause of this? I suspect user error here, but I did nothing from when it worked to when it stopped working.

I did try the old standby of restarting the iMac.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks, Tim

+++

Update: I turned off integer mode in Audirvana and we now have music! Any ideas why this would matter? What do I lose by not having integer mode selected? Could all of the sudden, after many years, Integer Mode not work with the hiFace Two? I am afraid I am not an expert in this stuff. I do know that there is no way I had changed this setting between this morning when all was well and three hours later when I had the condition described above. The iMac is running OS X 10.15.7. Thanks for any guidance. Tim

Hello @babysneaks,

In this mode Audirvana directly sends the audio data to the lowest level in CoreAudio, bypassing the driver audio mixer and the format converter. This enables to achieve very high sound quality. Can you check if you had a firmware update recently?

Hi !

I have the exact same problem on a FIIO K5 Pro since this morning (USB connected).
MacOS 10.15.7. No system update recently (as far as I know, because there are so many silent updates…)

I can use my DAC with Spotify and Apple Music.

With Audirvana, my DAC is silent despite feed back on sampling rates. I can only use Audirvana with the audio out cinch out.

+++
Thanks a lot for the update. I turned off integer mode, and music is back with my DAC.

Thank you, Claude. I am somewhat happy I am not alone with this problem.

Damien, I am not aware of any firmware updates or OS update, both of which, I imagine, I would have had to act to install.

I was able to stream fine yesterday morning with Integer Mode on. I stopped playback for an hour, and when I tried again in the afternoon, I had no music.

This morning after a shut down of my iMac, there was still no music in Integer Mode. When I turned Integer Mode off, I had to turn the volume down and the up again in Audirvana, but then I got music again.

I have written to M2Tech to make sure I have the most recent firmware on my hiFace Two. I will let you know what they tell me.

I want the best sound possible. Thank you for looking into this.

Tim

To follow up, I heard back from M2Tech, the manufacturer of the hiFace Two. I have the most recent firmware on the device and they sent it to me a few years ago. So there were no changes to that Sunday.

Thank you for troubleshooting this.

Tim

When pressing “play” with my DAC, a lot of errors are mentioned in console with VDCAssistant, callservicesd, coreduetd, coreaudiod, and finally Audirvana :

CMIO_DPA_VDC_Server_Assistant.cpp:1381:GetDeviceByGUID No match for specified GUID 0x1430000029720047
HALS_Object_GetPropertyData: the object does not implement the property
[ERROR] -[AVAudioDevice createNameForScope:]:144 AudioObjectGetPropertyDataSize kAudioDevicePropertyDataSource failed with error=who? [2003332927] deviceId=90 sources=0
HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002D7
HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: failed to send the final message to the server, Error: 0x10000003

I am having the same problem all of a sudden. No sound unless I turn off integer mode. The only recent updates are MRTConfigData and XProtectPlistConfigData on Oct. 30, which are automatic security updates. I am running 2018 MacBook pro with macOs 10.15.7 with USB cable to a Matrix Audio X SPDIF 2 converter. I do get audio out of onboard MacBook Pro speakers with integer mode on. I also tested audio with VLC which seems to work fine through Matrix X SPDIF 2.

Gary

Hello @OrangeCat,

Can you send me a copy of the “Debug Info”? You can get it in Audirvana Settings>General>Debug Info

Note: By clicking on the Debug Info button, Audirvana automatically copies all its content, all you have to do is paste it in response to this message

Just a note. I just updated Audirvana to version 3.5.42 (3572). Still no audio with integer mode selected.

Can you show us your debug info as requested above?

Hi Damien,
Here you go:

Audirvana Mac Version 3.5.42 (3572)
macOS 10.15.7 with 32768MB RAM

Registered to Gary Robinson

SIGNAL PROCESSING:

Polarity Inversion:
	Globally: OFF
	Per track: OFF
Effects plugins NOT ACTIVE

UPSAMPLING:
SoX not in use
SoX filter parameters
Bandwidth at 0dB = 99.5
Filter max length = 30000
Anti-aliasing = 100
Phase = 66

AUDIO VOLUME:
Max allowed volume: 100
Replay Gain: by album
SW volume control: OFF

LIBRARY SETTINGS:
Sync list: 4 folders
AUTO: /Users/gjr/Music/Music1/AAC
AUTO: /Users/gjr/Music/Music1/ALAC(16bit)
AUTO: /Users/gjr/Music/Music1/FLAC(16bit)
AUTO: /Users/gjr/Music/Music1/FLAC(24bit)
iTunes/Music library synchronization: not synchronized
Library database path: /Users/gjr/Library/Application Support/Audirvana/AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite

ACTIVE STREAMING SERVICES

=================== AUDIO DEVICE ========================

CoreAudio audio path, buffer I/O frame size: 512

Max. memory for audio buffers: 15022MB

Local Audio Engine:
Exclusive access: Enabled
Integer mode: Enabled

Preferred device:
X-SPDIF 2
Model UID:X-SPDIF 2:20B1:2004
UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:Matrix Audio:X-SPDIF 2:14110000:1

Active Sample Rate: 44.1kHz
Hog Mode is off

Bridge settings:
Sample rate limitation: none
Sample rate switching latency: none
Limit bitdepth to 24bit: OFF
Mute during sample rate change: OFF

Selected device:
Local audio device
ID 0x31 X-SPDIF 2 Manufacturer:Matrix Audio
Model UID:X-SPDIF 2:20B1:2004 UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:Matrix Audio:X-SPDIF 2:14110000:1

10 available sample rates up to 768000Hz
Audio buffer frame size : 14 to 4096 frames
Current I/O buffer frame size : 512
Volume Control
Physical: Yes
Virtual: Yes
MQA capability
Auto-detect MQA devices: No
Not a MQA device, user set to not MQA
DSD capability: DSD via PCM 1.1
Device audio channels
Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2
Channel bitmap: Ox3, layout:
Channel 0 mapped to 0
Channel 1 mapped to 1

Audio channels in use
Number of channels: 2
Use as stereo device only: No
Simple stereo device: Yes

1 output streams:
Number of active channels: 2, in 1 stream(s)
Channel #0 :Stream 0 channel 0
Channel #1 :Stream 0 channel 1

Stream ID 0x32 2 channels starting at 1
30 virtual formats:
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 768kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 705.6kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 384kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 352.8kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 192kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 176.4kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Float 44.1kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 768kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 705.6kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 384kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 352.8kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 192kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 176.4kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 96kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 88.2kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 768kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 705.6kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 384kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 352.8kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 192kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 176.4kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 96kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 44.1kHz

40 physical formats
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 768kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 705.6kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 384kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 352.8kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 192kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 176.4kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 768kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 705.6kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 384kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 352.8kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 192kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 176.4kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 96kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 44.1kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 768kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 705.6kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 384kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 352.8kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 192kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 176.4kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 96kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 88.2kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 48kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32 little endian Signed Integer 44.1kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 768kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 705.6kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 384kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 352.8kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 192kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 176.4kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 96kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 88.2kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 48kHz
2 ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24 little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit 44.1kHz

Local devices found : 2
Device #0: ID 0x31 X-SPDIF 2 Manufacturer: Matrix Audio Model UID: X-SPDIF 2:20B1:2004 UID: AppleUSBAudioEngine:Matrix Audio:X-SPDIF 2:14110000:1
Device #1: ID 0x56 MacBook Pro Speakers Manufacturer: Apple Inc. Model UID: Speaker UID: BuiltInSpeakerDevice

UPnP devices found : 0

Can you go in the audio output settings under the Bridge settings? Can you enable the limit the bitdepth to 24bit? What is the device you have after your converter?

Damian,

I think the problem is solved for me (I hope). I have some software installed which allows me to record any audio from the system called Audio Hijack from Rogue Amoeba ( https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/ ). There was an update for that software this morning. Now Audirvana works fine again with integer mode turned on. So it looks like it’s maybe an example of one program interfering with another. I will keep an eye on this, but hopefully things will keep working.

Thanks for your help,
Gary

1 Like

This is a case study in the power of community problem solving.

OrangeCat, I have Audio Hijack. I saw your note, ran the update, and presto, Integer Mode is back.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

I am hoping this solves the issue for Claude.

Tim

Thank you very much OrangeCat !

ACE(Audio Capture Engine) updated and problem solved !

This is great news, Claude.

For what it is worth, I just dropped a note to Rogue Amoeba letting them know about this incident.

Thanks to all of you for crowd sourcing a solution.