Origin and Direct Mode

No, as soon as Audivana “see” the possibility to go Direct mode in the IOAudio extension it shows the direct Mode dialog. As @RunHomeSlow said you probably miss a step in the process.

1 Like

Audirvana just read the .krext extension in the macos System , if it reads the old .ktext, direct mode will appear, that is the only way.

Read the text replace the good extension and repair privileges after, i also included pictures that shows you the .ktext has been replace correctly if i remember well

I start all those text by if you can’t read don’t mess your system. :grinning:

1 Like

Success at last!!! Thank both of you for hanging in there and getting me though it. You were correct, I was missing the “reboot” after the first set of sudo commands before the Repair Permissions. After I did the sequence you outlined - it worked perfectly!

Nice to have direct mode and choice of integer modes again. I’ve been missing them for a few months since moving to Origin. My system sounds “free” again :grin:

2 Likes

Is there a hack for Ventura?

1 Like

No.

It stopped at half way into macOS Catalina 10.15.6, we are now at macOS Ventura 13.3…

I think you should forget about it…
it was cool at the time for macOS, only when Audirvana was for Mac only…
maybe a tiny little thing more better for sound at the time… but now,
those .ktext evoluate like any OS system and i doudt or don’t care for the difference that may occur.

I’m still surprise people want to stay on older not protected system for that so minuscule thing
it was at the time… Audirvana was already at the top of their game without that little thing, it was just commercial advertising thing only for me… Could i be wrong by those who pray by it?

Music is the best - Frank Zappa

Who knows my friend…
Like I said earlier it is system and content dependent, but if you ever come on this side of the big river I would be please to share a coffee and a piece of music with you . (and also your french…) :wink:

1 Like

For me on my system, direct mode provides a little more edge definition on instruments and vocals, and is overall clearer. The bigger difference with direct mode for me is the integer-1 and -2 modes. Integer-1 provides more space (blackness) between instruments and voices, whereas interger-2 is more like no direct mode and integer on, a little flatter soundstage, but fuller and more “live”.

I like having the flexibility to choose the sound feel I want depending on my mood, and if I’m sipping a martini or a beer :slight_smile:

I have exactly the same perception. Transients are clearly improved.

As are subtle harmonics… and as always, sound experience and preference are in the ear and mind of the beholder :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Which is interesting, because when I updated to Origin on Catalina sans direct mode, I thought there was more ‘presence’, — on my system.

Just wanted to note:

The reason Direct Mode is a “hack” is that as we know Apple only allowed permission to certain companies/developers to install drivers (which Direct Mode is, substituting for the driver in Core Audio), because drivers touch the kernel.

If Apple permitted Audirvana to install the Direct Mode driver, users would have the option to simply use Direct Mode in Audirvana without having to employ any hacks.

So two questions: Does Damien want to go through the work and effort of updating Direct Mode as Apple updates its OS? And if so, do we want to contact Apple on behalf of Audirvana as a group and say what lovely people we and the Audirvana folks are, and we would really like to see Apple authorize Audirvana to install the Direct Mode driver?

Apple are not funny as they were,

Answer is no.

@Damien will never come back here and speak about it, same as now seems worthless to have Direct Mode because… Studio or Origin does now the same thing as it was doing then… without an insecure macOS…

As a 3.5 user then and direct mode guy enabling it through newer system, i think Origin or Studio SOUND better now… my 2 cents… :grinning:

1 Like

I already did that a few years ago when High Sierra comes out, I was not the only guy doing that, but no answer from APPLE.

don’t bet more than 2 cents… :wink:

1 Like

I’d be up for joining a group of folks to lobby Apple to authorize Audirvana to install the Direct Mode driver. Does anyone know who we would need to contact to get the ball rolling? The worst thing that could happen is for them to say NO (again?), the best thing is we wouldn’t have to continue to do the hack. Knowing how many Audirvana users there are now might make a difference with Apple?

2 Likes

Good call.

Of course we wouldn’t want to do it unless Damien wants to. (Even if it is still possible and still sonically worthwhile in his estimation, is it worth the work of the changes that likely would have to be made to accommodate successive new versions of MacOS?) So the first thing is to find that out.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to reach out to Damien?

Just mention @Damien or @Antoine in your post like here and they will get an alert :wink: