PS Audio DSjrDAC

I think the person you had from PS-Audio thought that you were talking about the USB connection with their device, in this case this is true that the software handle gapless. In your case you are using UPnP which work really differently as gapless is handled by the DAC, not the software.

Hi @Antoine,

Thx for Your hint!
And yes you are right. PS-Audio confirmed that using UPnP gapless is supported by the hardware and software of the Bridge II which is the plug in Network Device of the 2 DACs I have.
They also confirmed that the Bridge II supports gapless playback.

Pls. find the link to the product.

Network Bridge II
High resolution, gapless enabled, network audio

I have installed the latest Firmware release 3.6.86. on the 2 Bridges.

My question now is how to proceed to get the problem solved?

Best, Michael

Have you sent them your debug info with the info about your device?

No, I have not.
I propose the following process.

I need from Audirvana a precise technical description which explains exactly why the Bridge does not behave as expected. Name the technical Standards which are not fulfilled.

We have to consider, that with other Players it works very well with the Bridge.

This explanation I would like to forward to PS-Audio.

Hi @Antoine,
I spent a few hours on researching PS-Audio’s community logs.
I found some discussion on the early versions of the Bridge II in conjunction with Audirvana + incl. its Remote. There were problems with jumping back and forth, similar to the actual behavior of the two in the year 2018.
I asked PS-Audio today to clarify whether these problems have been solved by SW-version 3.6.86, which is the latest SW-version for the Bridge II. (Btw. Paul McGowan himself was involved in the former discussion and your name was mentioned and praised as always constructive and helpful. Unfortunately in this case without a final solution documented.)

The PSA technicians will get back to me soon. I hope meanwhile you’ll find the time to provide the information I requested in my last reply.
Best,
Michael

The information is the same as I gave you previously?

Hi @Antoine,
I’m sorry, I don’t think this is a good technical description of what’s exactly missing on the Bridge II. It’s more a description of appearing symptoms. The one and only technical fact is that my TV does have different capabilities than the Bridge II - unfortunately nothing concrete which imo would convince PS-Audio to revise their latest SW-Release for the Bridge II in order to work perfectly with Audirvana. They could easily say it’s Audirvanas’ fault, because Bridge II works very well with other players or control apps like JRiver or MCConnect. I think we need to tell them what’s exactly missing on their device otherwise it’s all just for fun.
Why can’t you name the function which does not work properly? Why can’t you name the standard which is not correctly fulfilled and so on? Why can’t you name the concrete lines from the debug info which circumstantiates the malfunction of the Bridge II. I mean you did an analysis based on the debug info I sent. Imo it makes no sense to forward the debug info to PSA without exactly pointing out what and why their device is missing. Only with the concrete info we can prevent from ping pong.

If you need technical aspect, you can refer to them using the UPnP implementation sheets page 33:

AVTransport:1 Service
For UPnP Version 1.0
5.2.22 NextAVTransportURI

This required state variable contains the AVTransportURI value to be played when the playback of the current AVTransportURI finishes. Setting this variable ahead of time (via action SetNextAVTransportURI()) enables a device to provide seamless transitions between resources for certain data transfer protocols that need buffering (for example, HTTP). If the service implementation does not support this feature, then this state variable shall be set to “NOT_IMPLEMENTED”.

What you see in the debug info is the reflection of the device capability

Hi @Antoine,

Thx. a lot for your help in hopefully getting the issue solved.

I did collect everything of technical importance from our e-mail conversation and sent it together with Audirvana debug info to the PSA Service team. As the Bridge II is 3rd party product which is a build in device in the DSjrDAC and an optional slot in device for the DSsrDAC I hope they will create and deliver an update soon in order to make Audirvana lovers who have PSA DACs more happy.

I’ll keep you up to date.

Hi @Antoine,
I forward the e-mail from PS-Audio I received today. They will reach out to you …

Hi Michael,
I received an update from our engineering team – they are reaching out to Audirvana to discuss this further and hopefully learn more about the origin of the issue.

Once we have that information, we will begin investigating a fix, if possible. At this time, though, we don’t know if it would require a hardware change or software change.

Best regards,

Scott Schroeder | Customer Service Representative
1-800-PSAUDIO
psaudio.com Boulder, Colorado

1 Like

Hi @Antoine,
Just to let you know.
PS-Audio unfortunately took an important business decision for not going to implement the obviously missing Gapless Playback function. They are saying they cannot support each and every Player on the market.

As I’m convinced on their sonic DAC technologies l’m now struggling for either living with the problem or change back to JRiver or Roon.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.