Qobuz vs Tidal MQA

Sionyn

1h

You want free music?
You want free MQA?

Don’t you think that musicians, songwriters and others in the music industry deserve to be paid for their work?

I know many musicians and studio engineers - all very talented, and none of them are rich.
They all have bills to pay, and deserve to be paid for what they do so well

I don’t want free music. I want to pay for Music and even extra if it is a great recording. I don’t want to pay for a fake better than lossless upsampling decoder.

Answer is simple don’t listen to MQA and Tidal if you dislike this ugly rotten invention and use Qobuz instead or Apple or Deezer or Amazon Music HD or other hi res flac streaming service

When you subscribe to these streaming companies, they keep the big money for themselves and pay only peanuts in royalties to the people who made the music.
If you want to support your musician artists and the whole music industry, buy your music and don’t stream.

No problem. That is exactly what I will do.

1 Like

I flashed the firmware of my DAC yesterday. And as I always do, I chose the firmware version that does not support MQA. :wink:

1 Like

I am very bad !
I am subscribing for more than five years to compressed Spotify !
My daughter doesn’t want to hear about any other services.
She started to work and I am planning to switch to either Qobuz or Apple Music.She can pay now for Spotify
I don’t like Tidal for different reasons than using of MQA
Their pushing of hip hop everywhere on their service making me upset.

How do you like your new firmware ?

I was reading that it is sounding different than original that came with Ifi Dac pre-installed and do not change colors of Dac illumination.

What is your opinion ?
Sounds better to your liking ?

I am still with original firmware

I don’t remember how was the original firmware, since I flashed the firmware two or three times since I bought the DAC a few years ago.
Yesterday, I flashed it because I’m using my DAC with a new streamer that I got. Before that, it was flashed for my Mac.

I’ve been using Qobuz, with Audirvana, since early 2016, and even in lossless it sounds much better than Spotify.

Many albums have been recorded and mastered for CD quality. HiRes or MQA does not add much.

I repeat myself. I have nothing against formats, MQA, DSD, RedBook, FLAC, Wav, MP3, there is a user group for everything. MQA is the only one that charges license fees throughout the chain and aims to be a single file format. And I am against that.

I do find this interesting. Are there any users here with experience with the TRT recordings?
In 2018 I bought and downloaded some, but I can’t find how to download the latest calibration.

edit:
Just got a friendly email from Mario. The latest calibration downloads were successful.

Thank you @Jacob for posting this link.
The site is interesting, and the article that explains their working methodology is interesting too.
I was directly involved in more than one occasion in the production of soundtracks which required recordings of original scores of classical chamber music. The problems that the article describes are resolved in good studios for classical music recordings, like the one of Ircam in Paris, by acoustics that are completely modular. They are set up specifically for each recording session.

1 Like

You say above that MQA and Tidal have a pact and want to exclude the rest. It’s hard for me to believe that MQA wouldn’t be keen on joining Deezer or Spotify.

But I rather think that no streaming provider will join the MQA licenses and restrictions ship. I think MQA is more likely to be the end of Tidal than a unique opportunity. There is a group that are fans of MQA, but the majority of consumers do not know MQA and probably do not want it.

Deezer once announced to come up with MQA. In practice never happened. Amazon HD, Apple HiRes, Qobuz HD. Nobody has MQA and that’s because the niche streaming service Tidal doesn’t want it?

Apple will kill Tidal.
They offered me a gift of 6 months free trial to Apple Music. I did not activate this trial yet because I’m not sure that I want to listen to their stream.

1 Like

I agree.
Like I said before. The only thing I’m still afraid of is that MQA with Warner, Sony will deliver a large amount of batch-processed MQA files to streaming services. But in the longer term those versions will also disappear.

Which streaming service will agree to pay them for the MQA license? The big companies: Apple, Amazon and Spotify won’t do that. At best, MQA will be used by some niche streaming companies.

That is not to say that no MQA files are provided. They just cannot be recognized as MQA by Qobuz (Apple etc) or Audirvana. But an MQA decoder DAC recognizes this MQA file during playback. Users come across MQA files on Deezer and Qobuz. And are very happy with that.

So, if I’ll activate the free trial of Apple Music, I may get MQA tracks without knowing it, since I deactivated MQA on my DAC.
In this case, will the MQA consortium be paid for the MQA tracks that I’ll stream?

They will not be paid for it, but the files have been processed. So they are no longer lossless. Only with an MQA dac you have it better than original file.

The advantage for the record company is 1 file for all streaming services

And if I’ll activate MQA on my DAC, do you think that Apple will pay them for the tracks that I’ll stream?