Radio quality

Has the radio streaming quality available on AS improved yet?

I just received an advertising email (thought I’d unsubscribed)

My problem was that AS only offered lo-res for BBC R3 & R6, which was unlistenable, rather the 320 streams (which might not be hifi are very listenable)

If it has I might trial again

I’ve found in the meantime other playback systems, where I struggle to hear a difference from A3.5

Same bitrate for BBC 3.

Paste in your own URLs make a Playlist

1 Like

That’s a really nice list :smiley:

If you paste your URL in goto the Queue save to the Playlist you created. only issue still not fixed yet is you cannot label them properly but if you recognize the URL or only have a couple no biggie @Antoine is aware and its on the to do list

yes this is the problem - music at 128kbps on subscription

If you go for instance to UK Radio Stations webcasting in AAC+ (HLS), Ogg Vorbis, Opus and RealPlayer formats you will find links to R3 & R6 at 320kbs - which will play happily in my browser and sounds better than AS

I’m blown away by some of the sound quality by some of the Radio Paradise streams - that’s the quality I’m looking for! Thanks!

Sadly The HiResAudio.online site does not list the BBC streams.

Whilst the “add your own URL” is a step in the right direction, I can’t get the RadioFeeds.net streams to play. Either “can’t play stream” or 3 or 4 times a complete crash of AS.

I’m not sure what the differences are between the sites. I noticed that several of the HiRes URLs are referencing IceCast. The BBC explicitly blocked ice cast (very unhelpfully and as a licence payer I don’t buy the “we need to track usage” claim - they certainly can’t tell when I have a DAB or FM radio on)

1 Like

solved my radio listening (largely)

I had been running audirvana 3.5 and Studio from my Mac into an Audient id14.
I’ve just set up an oldish Raspberry Pi 4 (with an SSD) with MoodeAudio into an Iqaudio DAC+
(both going into the same amp and speakers)

• The BBC radio streams available are better 320K
  • there is a much wider range of radio streams at ridiculously high bit rates (ie higher than the kit can make use of)
  • The Upsampling matches or exceeds Audirvarna

Although as a friend who has been experimenting with streaming pointed out the downside is that Linux based systems need quite a lot of hand-holding…

(and both Moode and Audirvarna crash or lock up on occasions)

So the latest AS trial has gone. Thanks and good luck to all the friendly voices here
Sadly the Moode Forum is not currently accepting new registrations, which may yet be it’s biggest drawback

1 Like

Glad to see a few radio lovers postings. Hopefully soon we will have a few updates to the radio section of studio, Currently the abilities to create a proper playlist are hampered a bit. Radio BBC seems to be a problematic issue for a few of us. I mostly listen to World Service a throwback to my Shortwave listening days.

With the good URL’s found with a little searching you could really drop your streaming services and live with local files and radio if budget required

Best luck with it

1 Like

Agree with the great sound quality of Radio Paradise. RP has been upgrading their sound for years and has never sounded better. Wish AS would show artist and track name and because of this I tend to listen to it mostly on Jriver MC28 which also sounds very good providing that information.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.