RAM Issues?

Sorry, not entirely sure what your argument is here?

@reddog1 … Comparing making a mix-tape from LPs played on a cheap turntable or CD for a friend that could only play that tape or CD on their player, to a digital-audio music torrent server, is like comparing a BB-gun to a nuclear bomb. :roll_eyes:

They are doing so illegally… they have no distribution rights…

What’s sound quality got to do with it? Under that pretext, I’ll only download mp3s!

2 Likes

They are easily replicated and distributed without degradation… There was copy-protection that was affective for CDs that served to stem the flow of illegal copies… now today with torrent sharing, it is like a gushing fire-hydrant versus a pinprick hole in a hose…

Hello All,

I am sorry for the frankness in my last post. Lesson learned!! If it makes anyone feel better our family donates money to the music and art community on a monthly basis as we feel we get so much enjoyment in our lives from them. Thanks for all the suggestions and support as well as the negative feedback… back to my “scum underworld”.

I think libraries do have lending rights.

1 Like

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not… I am pretty sure for a few bucks a month Qobuz does exactly this… Search for and stream one of millions of tracks… I you like it you can buy it from their online store… And I am pretty sure that there are plenty of other streaming services work like this also…

2 Likes

Please reduce your altitude to below 10,000 ft AMSL. You are showing obvious signs of oxygen deprivation.
Libraries have been lending books as well……… is that illegal also? No it is not. How is a recording anything different, a DVD?, a filmstrip?

A library is a collection of materials, books or media that are accessible for use and not just for display purposes. A library provides physical (hard copies) or digital access (soft copies) materials, and may be a physical location or a virtual space, or both. A library’s collection can include printedmaterials and other physical resources in many formats such as DVD, CD and cassette as well as access to information, music or other content held on bibliographic databases.

1 Like

Not @Ironz , he doesn’t even know how to spell sarcasm.

1 Like

Yes, I was mate :rofl: :rofl:
Take no notice of @OffRode, I’m English so sark, sarcha, sarcasm is second nature to me :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

It’s obviously legal for a Library or an individual to LOAN a book or CD or downloaded music file.

It’s NOT legal for a library or individual to SELL a CD or DVD or book or downloaded music FILE.

Still, I guess I can sell my collection or individual item ONCE to a buyer.

1 Like

This is an old discussion. Of course selling a copy of a disc, book etc is illegal.
But is a non-profit exchange still illegal?
Many torrent files are exchanged, there is no sale. Of course the author is missing out, but that is unavoidable these days with the internet.
Our personal data is often exchanged by companies without our consent, this is also illegal but few people complain.
There is no half moral, making a copy of a cassette tape can, but not a CD?
The problem is that today there are a lot of moralists, doing what they themselves criticize.

2 Likes

Hi @Reynaldo

If people are giving “a” file/book etc to “a” person that’s theirs to give.

If people sell “a” file/book etc to “a” person it’s theirs to sell… only once of course.

If people are frequently exchanging media they are not living in the spirit of a fair exchange.

If people are making a business of that process and selling the same file/book etc they are infriging the copyright acts.

Personal data…

Usually, you have agreed to let those companies to sell on your personal data. You have no choice if you want to use those facilites. I don’t like it and it must change. Unfortunately many large institutions have large pockets and massive influence on those making the rules. Nothing new here. For eons, those in power decree how the masses pay tax or become soldiers… cannon fodder.

I’ve just finished a book on the history of China from 2205BC to 1917AD. Who pays for all that gold thread on the emperor’s clothing, the gold leaf on the coronation carriages? The common man, and slavery… that’s who!

What else can I say. Where can I go from this…?

Regards

Phil

Hi @philipjohnson

Today’s news.

Meta, the tech giant responsible for Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, among others, was fined €1.2 billion.
Personal data of 533 million users of the social network Facebook around the world were automatically collected in a criminal way by third parties.

@OffRode … Try copying the hardbound 6-volume set “The Rise and Fall of the the Roman Empire”.

There is no legal exemption… The library could provide a listening room where you can play a recording, but they are violating copyright law if they let you take it home, since the controls of copyright protection are now compromised.

What the Courts Have to Say

A long series of court rulings has made it very clear that uploading and downloading copyrighted music without permission on P2P networks constitutes infringement and could be a crime.

Common examples of online copyright infringement:

• You download an app on your smartphone that allows you to ‘strip’ the audio from any YouTube music video and permanently keep that audio in your music collection.
  • You make an MP3 copy of a song because the CD you bought expressly permits you to do so. But then you put your MP3 copy on the Internet, using a file-sharing network, so that millions of other people can download it.
  • Even if you don’t illegally offer recordings to others, you join a file-sharing network and download unauthorized copies of all the copyrighted music you want for free from the computers of other network members.
  • In order to gain access to copyrighted music on the computers of other network members, you pay a fee to join a file-sharing network that isn’t authorized to distribute or make copies of copyrighted music. Then you download unauthorized copies of all the music you want.
  • You transfer copyrighted music using an instant messaging service.
  • You have a computer with a CD burner, which you use to burn copies of music you have downloaded onto writable CDs for all of your friends.
  • Someone you don’t know e-mails you a copy of a copyrighted song, which you forward to your friends.
    About Piracy - RIAA

:notes: :eye: :headphones: :eye: :notes:

Perhaps you should leave your hiding hole and visit your local library and educate yourself before professing your ignorance.

https://www.lapl.org/books-emedia/e-media

Welcome to the 19th century

1 Like

They are obviously paying royalties for this privilege which is subsidized by the state government… In regards to physical recordings they hold on the premises… My bet is they don’t allow them to leave the building.

Bzzzzzzzzooonnggg
WRONG BET!
We can borrow records and bring them home during a couple of weeks or more. And that’s what I like in that process: access to masterpieces is almost free for everybody.
At least you can try before buying it.

Today, when you buy a record, even if you are not satisfied (or if you made a mistake and picked up the wrong thin), you cannot be refund.
You buy a thing, a physical support and not the music recorded on it! Ok but in that case, you should receive a replacement disk if the physical support is damaged. But you never do!
You don’t even have the right to make a copy of that record, in case you damage the original version.

So, let’s say that the contract is pretty much unbalanced!

3 Likes

Used to havearecord library near my home… take home - record - taqke back… ah, the good old days!

3 Likes