Recommended Hard Drives

I had the same happen to me a few years back. Now I have a nas and several stand alone external drives. I have the same stuff on each-photographs and music. Possibly more than I need but I never want to have my only back fry again . I have not used a cloud service because there is no guarantee they are secure and they too fail.

I use SSD drives where I can. Not in the NAS, but in my singles. Thunbderbolt 3 is genuinely superfast. It copied 500Gb of music in 4 mins. I own 3 x 1 TB and 1 x 2TB, the 2 and 1 x 1tb are Samsung X5, the other two are are a 1tb Plugable and a 1tb TekQ

Good luck.

J’ai d’autres protectiosn contre l’incendie, si ma maison brūle du RdC à l’ėtage mes HDs seront les cadets de mes soucis !!

Sadly any Chinese-made consumer drive will be a very risky proposition.

Every single WD consumer drive I ever had has failed. All my La Cie drives also as the power supply had a known fault, and although La Cie replaced them out of warranty, this was no good for what were in fact back-up drives. More Chinese shyte.

As suggested by others an Enterprise level drive is a slight improvement.

However, again as suggested, a reliable back-up policy is the back stop.

I know the feeling.
I now use 2x4TB Porsche Design Ext HDs: 1 for my music files, the other is for backup or exact copy of HD1. And then I have a NAS to backup both HDs. I also use Backblaze to backup online, besides having OneDrive & TimeMachine running continuously You know: backup my backup? I hate loosing my files: messes my hair :cowboy_hat_face: :v: Take care & keep safe

RJKFlyer :

As i run out of space with my 8Tb, i will follow your advise and use WD red or gold or Seagate Ironwolf pro, in a icy box to keep it simple but reliable !

Thank you for your input, i’m maybe too confident with my gear, but the chance that both drives crashes simultaneously is quite thin…

But we are never too safe isn’t it :wink:

Finally my migration is done ^^

I choosed two Seagate Exos X16, 16 To, the biggest capacity today, with Icy Box external cases.

Exos X16

Icy Box

I think i’m good for a while ^^

That depends on how you see it, I got RAID6’s running, simply due to the fact that I don’t want to loose data if a driver or two decides to die. And then of cause I got backups …
But yes, it does cost money, but how much does it cost to restore data (re-create), and also is it possible to restore the data?
On top of my music (don’t feel like ripping 1200 CD’s again - ever), I also have digital photos going back 18 years…

Just remember that raid is not a backup, I insist to define it a continuity related solution, therefore you always need hdd for backup

True, it’s a continuity solution, but also provides a security. Backup should always be done, as raid is not a backup solution.

This topic was automatically closed 375 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.