Remove from library without deleting files

Hello,

a newbie question, hopefully not stupid: I cannot find a way in Audirvana to remove songs from my library that I added. For example, I added watched folders via preferences and Audirvana synced the files into my library. But when I removed the watched folders via preferences, Audirvana kept the songs in the library. And I could not see any way the songs from the library. There is a delete option, but that puts the songs into Audirvana’s internal trash and when I empty that via the settings dialogue, Audirvana deletes the physical files from the disk (sic!). Gladly, I had a backup.

Frankly, this is annoying - I really like Audirvana, But it is a breach of trust that it deletes anything on my drive. In itunes or Apple Music there is an option to stop them from automatically managing my files. And that’s how I want any library manager to work: I just want it to keep references, and I want to be able to remove references when I want without damaging my files. Is this impossible with Audirvana?

Kind regards
Andreas

Hello @akee, when you remove the selected folder your music automatically disappear from Audirvana. Can you check the complete path of a tracks you removed from the watched folders?
To do this, you can use the track details panel (Icon label :label: after selecting a track).

If for two duplicated tracks the locations are different, this means these are duplicated files on your disk.
You may then want to check if you can delete one copy.

Hello, the same thing happened to me. I have 2 folders synchronized with Audirvana, and when I removed one the music from it stayed in the Library. The only way I found to remove it was to remove Audirvana completely, erase all its left-over files and re-install. After doing this the issue disappeared, and removing a folder from the sync list removed the songs from the library too. However, a couple months passed, and now the problem is back again, even if I remove all folders from the monitored list the music stays. @Damien, could you, please, check this? Thank you!
Gergo

Are the file you synchronized where located locally in your computer?

Yes, they are in a folder under “Music”

Music like the folder created as iTunes does?

No, the folder above the one where the iTunes music library is. And the same thing happens even if the songs are in the Downloads folder.

Have you tried clicking the sync button in the settings?

I tried, it didn’t help. And now I re-added the same folders and the albums appear twice in the library.

Here is my text again :slight_smile:

Start fresh database by deleting those files…

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder… when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back in one shot. Sadly to this day, the folders they were in if so, are not back, you have to do them again…

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon, Tidal or others… Install Audirvana alone with your database… if working, log to Roon or else after.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Open Audirvana preferences panel and delete your music folder(S) in the window.

Close Audirvana.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not).

Restart MAC.

Open Audirvana, choose a library folder at first it will sync in top middle of main window…
LET IT GO, even better don’t try to adjust windows or edit files, even playing music while it is not finished… you’ll see the progress bar going… Could be long the first time depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not… go to sleep if it is too long :slight_smile: If you have more then one, do the same thing…

Then when it is finished, shut down Audirvana, yes close it before playing a song… That way you will have your database from stratch saved without crashing or with doubles. Then copy the .sqlite file to somewhere else as a backup (with today date)… After open Audirvana and play a song.

Thank you @RunHomeSlow, this indeed cleared my Library. However, when I add back my folders, and remove them again, they still stay in my Library.

@Antoine, if you’d like to investigate this issue further I would be happy to help. Let me know.

You forgot the mentioned that people should join the University and learn IT. What is the point to use an Application where you loose a lot of time learning how to use it, instead listening to the music. Not your fault anyway, you are trying to help. I still not understanding this bit: “Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not).”
Cheers

Dang….Get ya some of dat!